WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Mags - It's reassuring to hear that someone who knows what he's doing is OK with carrying a 20F bag in summer. I thought that was just one more thing that marked me out as a clueless weekender. I'm fine sleeping in warmer weather with the bag unzipped and used like a quilt, and sometimes with just a corner pulled over me while most of me is out in the breeze.
    Well, I started backpacking in the Whites. Even in the summer, it can be cool up there. Then I moved to Colorado.

Basically, other than the middle section of the AT (and small portions of the PCT), never really had a reason to use a summer bag.

If I lived in the southeast Appalachians or the mid-Atlantic, a summer bag may be a good investment.

But not for me.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Location, location, location.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    With these threads, the question is all to often "what" without being followed up with the "why". To me the why is the more important question and the what is meaningless without it.
    The question may have been 'what,' but the answers seem to be getting quite a bit into 'why.' Which is a good thing.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I have an extensive and comprehensive spreadsheet for U/L-Summer and 3-seasonLightweight. If this might help, PM me and I will send it to you. It also has costs....

Boots, (or shoes, whatever your preference), GOOD quality wool socks, synthetic shirt and shorts, and whatever undies you prefer. Best quality sleeping bag you can afford, taking into account weight vs. cost.

I don't understand why everyone says get your pack last. You'll need something to carry all your stuff in to figure out if backpacking is really for you. Go to REI and get fitted first, though. Besides, if you buy the wrong size pack, REI will definitely exchange it for you between now and next year when you go.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

I'm of the mind set that the most imlortant things to buy are the ones that will keep you alive and dry. Shelter, sleeping bag, insulating jacket and rain gear. Everything else is comfort vs weight.

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    One thing I learned is to buy your shoes while wearing your fully loaded pack to check for comfort and fit.
    Shoes / boots firsts and make sure you break them in. A leaky tent or poor fitting pack wont end your hike as quick as bleeding foot blisters from ill fitting foot wear will. If you cant walk it wont matter how good all your other stuff is.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Journal Entries

Once you have chosen shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, you can figure out what packs will likely suit you best to try out. You will also be able to estimate what other items you will carry and what they will weigh.

Your philosophy on the shelter and sleeping gear will carry over to the rest of your stuff.

You wont have UL tent and UL sleeping bag, and heavy excess other gear.
    Nor will you have a heavy tent, heavy sleeping bag, and UL other gear.

Images

I have an extensive gear list for U/L-Summer Lightweight and 3-season gear with weights and costs. If this might help PM me---Good Luck... My strategy is still to buy the best lightest gear that helps me to accomplish the goals of Safe-Dry & Warm. My 3 season kit is about 15 lbs. with everything-and I mean everything except food and water....My U/L kit is about 13.5 lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++