WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Double Wide your story is inspirational for sure. I was in the opposite position that you were in and while no where near as severe, it took me years to overcome what happened.

I let myself party too hard in college and grad school and while I managed to finish all three degrees I left a total mess of habits and weighing only 115lbs at 5'10". No exercise and bad nutrition. I could barely climb five stories of stairs I was so lethargic.

Then a health issue hit that made all my body tense up like I was flexed. I couldn't even open doors or turn my car on. It spread all over my body and within four months of it starting I was barely able to walk. It took another two years and a supplement regimen of osteobioflex, fish oil and vitamin C to get back on track. I also had to give up sitting in a chair for my main income. Much doctors and tests later and all they can come up with is that my joints are hyper-mobile so much that I've been asked have I dislocated them before and I must have fibromyalgia. Then they wanted to do a muscle biopsy to see what kind of connective tissue disorder I have. I neglected that since treatment was the same, supplements plus walking, swimming or biking. I was up to 185lbs by this point.

Fast forward five years and I now weigh 135lbs and 100% clean and healthy. I lost a series of people my age that I was super close to and thankful I didn't lose my job too. Really lucky I wasn't killed myself. Instead of firing me for my behavior and handling of grief, my boss at the time who has hiked the AT and lived in the mountains sent me here so I could repair myself. I hit the trails and immediately knew that's where I belong. I'm very shy and introverted in the real world but on the trails I'm totally opposite. IDK why but it's like I feel blessed to be out there. I owe my life to her and another coworker for helping me through it all.

So now I go out all the time when I can. And somehow I was washed into raging flood waters and nearly died again. But that story is worth it's own thread. While I won't be able to thru hike without quitting my job, I do get 5 weeks of paid time off soon so I will be able to do large sections at a time. Or maybe the whole thing in a record attempt!

A small boy scout backpack and two peanut butter sandwiches and a sunny afternoon when I was 11. Been hiking ever since.

Nice thread by the way;
    Well I got the hiking bug way back in 1987 while stationed with the U.S Army in Ansbach Germany. Now I had done some hiking somewhat before that (Volksmarches and generally exploring the countryside). The AT bug bit me one rainy day while I was sitting in front of the 1SG's office answering the phones. My Battery commander walked over and handed me a pile of recent National Geographics, and as you know where I'm heading with this dear reader, one of the issues was about the AT. I was completely engrossed in that particular issue! My Commander noticed I was intensley reading that issue and asked me if I hiked; I said a little, but after reading that magazine I was already imagining myself on a Thru hike. He told me, "Well PFC Adams maybe thats something you should pursue in the future." I would have to say: it was Capt. Bailey (excellent officer by the way) and National Geographic that inspired me.
    I've been away from hiking/long distance backpacking for about 15 years and recently returned. Planning a long section trip on the AT in 2014. My thru hike will have to wait till I retire.

CoffeeCooler

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++