WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zip off shorts that are actually short?

I have a 30 inch inseam and I would like to buy a pair of zip off shorts that when I zip off the legs are actually short (as in several inches above the knees) all the ones I have seen come down to my knees or go beyond my knees.

Anybody know of any manufactures a pair of zip off shorts that have a 4 or 5 inch inseam when they are shorts rather than the typical 10 or 12?

Thanks in advance.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wait there is a reason - zip off or technical pants have three features
    1.leggings that go over your boots
    2. pockets deep enough so when you sit down stuff doesn't fall out
    3. strong but light weight over jeans. (comfort)

by going shorter #2 isn't possible or practical... but they did make them look in clearance area's of Dick's Sporting Goods.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have some Gander Mtn Guide series that are two inches above my knees. Nylon and pretty good quality. I also have some exofficio pants that are a little lighter but knee length. .
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Not worried about #2. The shorts need not have pockets at all. Just be short and have zip off legs.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

#1 reason I will not use them.I have some Columbia PFG nylon shorts and now pack (in warmer months) Exofficio Nomad long pants (about 8-10ozs) for camp or cooler days.If it warms up I just stop & change to shorts...got on E-Bay 20$...

WOO is correct about the shallow pockets. My Gander Mtn. shorts have a shallower pockets than the exofficio shorts.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

North Face Paramount (not Paramount Peak). I have them and love everything about them except they're too short.

I was looking at some zip off pants at EMS and thought "wow, the shorts section is really short". Then I noticed they were for woman, who designers apparently belive desire to show as much leg as possible, even while hiking. Not that I'm complaining...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was looking at some zip off pants at EMS and thought "wow, the shorts section is really short". Then I noticed they were for woman, who designers apparently belive desire to show as much leg as possible, even while hiking. Not that I'm complaining...
    Next up - Daisy Duke zip-offs.
    We are all one big human family.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I have a 30 inch inseam and I would like to buy a pair of zip off shorts that when I zip off the legs are actually short (as in several inches above the knees) all the ones I have seen come down to my knees or go beyond my knees.

Anybody know of any manufactures a pair of zip off shorts that have a 4 or 5 inch inseam when they are shorts rather than the typical 10 or 12?

Thanks in advance.
    I had the same problem...well actually worse cause my inseam is wayyyy shorter than 30".

After much searching for zip/off/convertible pants that wouldn't have the shorts be capri's on me and the boot zips come to my toes, I ended up with a pattern from Sunset Bay (ordered from Rockywoods.com.

If you don't sew, find a seamstress who does...the pattern is definitely not for beginners.

I ordered enough Taslan to make 2 pairs of pants. Pattern and 2 sets of material came to just over $40.00. Zippers and other necessities not included in price.

Stir Fry

Try a Kilt, Its one of the most comfortable ways to hike that I have found. In cold weather I just use Long Johns.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Section Hiker

I assume they make them for men, but I like my (fairly cheap) Columbus PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) zip offs for hiking. They are pretty short. I got them online at Cabela's.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Next up - Daisy Duke zip-offs.
    A----Men! Can I quote you on that?

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    I assume they make them for men, but I like my (fairly cheap) Columbus PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) zip offs for hiking. They are pretty short. I got them online at Cabela's.

I find this strange as a fashion statement... as a young State Certified Lifeguard in 79 we wore red Speedo.... Now the young wear Hawaii decorated long shorts...

79 > Today>>> I will let the cool girls decide.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Mr. Owl -- I am looking for shorts that are the mid point of the two you posted.

To the others thank you for the suggestion I have check their various websites looks like the brands/models have been discontinued in favor of longer shorts.

Looks like I am going either going to have to go with having them made using Old Boots pattern or stick with not using zip offs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Never take an old owl seriously there is always a pun - didn't mean to ruin your thread... man,

and no - I think I can find what you want... need a waist and length size.... would you like some real help?

Woo

You didn't ruin the thread, I though your comparisons over the years was funny.

I am 30x30.

Images

How about finding the ultimate lightweight shorts and stripped down, non convertible pants? (I actually buy REI Sahara pant, cut off the pockets and belt loops, very light and no poky things when I wear them to bed.) You may find that is lighter weight, more versatile and you don't have to compromise.

Journal Entries

Make snap conversion pants yourself. i did and they are way more comfortable than zippers around the thigh. find a pair of pants you like with the color and fabric that fit the waist but are 4 inches longer than what you want. cut them to the length on the thigh that you want. hem the cut area and insert equally spaced snaps. I did the same to a pare of athletic shorts and added an old pair of rain pant leggings. (found the rain pants at goodwill) less weight, more purpose, and highly fashionable.

Journal Entries

zipp-offs are dumb, uncomfortable, and nearly impossible in the dark.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I find this strange as a fashion statement... as a young State Certified Lifeguard in 79 we wore red Speedo.... Now the young wear Hawaii decorated long shorts...
    What does this have to do with my post? Anyway, OP, I meant Columbia and you should take a look at them. They fall right between the speedo's and bermuda shorts. The cool girls like guys who make sense.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++