WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How long is your HAIR

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Mines almost to the middle of my back....except for the bangs which I can't seem to let grow out. I think I will forever and always be hairspray dependant (at least for work - when I am in the wood I generally look like who did it an ran!)

Hubby buzzes his whole head with clippers then uses his electric razor -its funny that the man with no hair wants me to grow mine down to my butt! lol....

Edited to add: About a year ago I chopped mine up to my ears and donated it to Locks of Love (http://www.locksoflove.org/) - they make hairpieces for children with cancer and other diseases. If you have long hair and are contemplating cutting it - this is a wonderful way to help a child. And you can get a free haircut out of the deal.
    Last edited by CynJ; 10-14-2005 at 07:44.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I get mine cut very short for hiking. The male dino keeps his short (retired military).

Default The times, they are a changing!

I still let my freak flag fly !

Back in the early 60's you could trust just about any man with long hair, if you know what I mean. The authorities hadn't figured it out yet, and they hadn't had the time to grow their hair out long. However, you couldn't trust anyone over 30.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Mine was middle of the back long most of my life but I keep it pretty short now. I buzz it occasionally with the 1 inch comb on the electric clippers then trim it up. Cost per month, free.

Default My hair (what there is left of it)...

Is short (masculine-length, e.g., above the collar).

An old saying is that 'women with small chests shouldn't have short hair, unless they like being called "Sir" a lot'. I concur. Likewise, men, especially those under 5'10" tall who don't have substantial visible biceps, arguably shouldn't have long hair unless they like being called "Miss" every so often. I used to know a guy who would say with a straight face to hippies, "Excuse me, do you have the time, Miss?", but then, he's 6'4" and a weightlifter, and physically rather prepossessing.

Oh, and adding large amounts of facial hair and/or tatoos aren't IMO really adequate approaches for avoiding this likelihood of a male being misapprehended as a woman if he chooses for some reason to wear hair length historically associated with traditional, feminine women. Both can result in additional negative appraisal, not to mention more and more women (especially the lower-class sort, socio-economically or at least WRT how ladylike they comport their lives) are sporting tatoos these days. BTW, for those of you living in cold climates, the research has been done. Facial hair doesn't actually help with cold temps very much; certainly not enough to make up for the price it carries in increased difficulty in maintaining good hygiene.

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith

An old saying is that 'women with small chests shouldn't have short hair, unless they like being called "Sir" a lot'. I concur. Likewise, men, especially those under 5'10" tall who don't have substantial visible biceps, arguably shouldn't have long hair unless they like being called "Miss" every so often. I used to know a guy who would say with a straight face to hippies, "Excuse me, do you have the time, Miss?", but then, he's 6'4" and a weightlifter, and physically rather prepossessing.

Oh, and adding large amounts of facial hair and/or tatoos aren't IMO really adequate approaches for avoiding this likelihood of a male being misapprehended as a woman if he chooses for some reason to wear hair length historically associated with traditional, feminine women. Both can result in additional negative appraisal, not to mention more and more women (especially the lower-class sort, socio-economically or at least WRT how ladylike they comport their lives) are sporting tatoos these days. BTW, for those of you living in cold climates, the research has been done. Facial hair doesn't actually help with cold temps very much; certainly not enough to make up for the price it carries in increased difficulty in maintaining good hygiene.
    My, aren't we homophobic and class conscious!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    you tellem TOOT ...how bout teeth..you got any teeth???
    LOL that was a good one
    TAMBOURINE:banana

Images

Oh, and adding large amounts of facial hair and/or tatoos aren't IMO really adequate approaches for avoiding this likelihood of a male being misapprehended as a woman if he chooses for some reason to wear hair length historically associated with traditional, feminine women.
    My standard response to dumb hicks with gender identification issues... "why don't you just **** my **** and find out." The stupid look on their face was always priceless.

Jeeeze... did Minn. fall into some kind of 1940 time warp or something?

Both can result in additional negative appraisal, not to mention more and more women (especially the lower-class sort, socio-economically or at least WRT how ladylike they comport their lives) are sporting tatoos these days. BTW, for those of you living in cold climates, the research has been done. Facial hair doesn't actually help with cold temps very much; certainly not enough to make up for the price it carries in increased difficulty in maintaining good hygiene.
    Oh, well you are just going to be a barrel of laughs on the AT.

Default Justusryans...

I did not mention homosexuals ONCE in my post.
    Since you brought the subject up, I admit without shame to having a reason-based, nonphobic opposition to the homosexual agenda (as I would be against avoidably allowing pollutants in a municipal drinking water supply), believing instead that homosexuals as a group tend to have a phobia about normal behavior. A short, well-written article discussing the term "homophobic" on this subject to increase your understanding of the word:

http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive...apin080504.htm

As far as being class-conscious, everyone on the planet with an IQ over 50 is precisely that. Try getting attractive, well-dressed women to go out on dates with you if you tell them that you don't own a car (BC you never learned how to drive, and have never been able to afford one anyway), are unemployed, broke, and still live with your parents (at an age over 25-YO).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    My, aren't we homophobic and class conscious!
    I'd bet he'll be the lonliest "he-man" on the trail.

Default I get along fine with other hikers on the Trail...

The only ones that p*ss me off are p*ssing off everyone else around them. Examples of these:

1) people who, in shelters in the middle of the night, make prolonged major noise (clanging metal cookware together repeatedly, say) while going through their stuff or shine bright lights in other people's eyes;

2) let their soaking-wet dogs jump on strangers' bedding, let their dog steal or damage other people's food, or have the delusion that their dog is entitled to a human's spot in a full Trail shelter;

3) leave trash on the Trail or around shelters, or vandalize any part of the Trail;

4) use cell phones for repeated long calls in crowded shelters;

5) loudly play (c)rap/alternative/country music with extra "twang" anywhere along the Trail where I can hear it (headphones are cheap and simple to operate, after all);

6) use or carry controlled substances around other, unaffililiated people while on or near the Trail, or smoke tobacco in shelters when not alone;

7) steal, aggressively panhandle, or act or talk as if they might become violent toward other people (only self-defense of self/property or defense of an innocent ever justifies that for noncops/nonmil);

8) do anything to p*ss off good-hearted providers of Trail services or inhabitants of Trail towns so that those people start ending providing services and/or start hating hikers, and end up telling everyone they know that hikers are *sshole bums and not to have anything to do with them.

Yeah, those hikers p*ss me off. I don't like them, and don't care who knows it.
    Last edited by minnesotasmith; 01-12-2006 at 10:20.

I've had both and find that short hair is easier to deal with, just pop a hat on and your ready to go...

I think you're a ****ing anti-christ.

keep it short, once a marine always a marine

semper fi, Paul

minnesota is one sick puppy

Images

i prefer the short clean cut military look,i am ex navy and my barber is ex navy barber,he was on an aircraft carrier neo

when can i pop one out? not until you're eight

i cut my own hair. about two inches thick on top, one around the sides. it wasnt even that bad

Quote Originally Posted by betic4lyf
    when can i pop one out? not until you're eight

i cut my own hair. about two inches thick on top, one around the sides. it wasnt even that bad
    go suck a *****....How does one suck 2 f****? I'm all ears...

I don't believe this thread was started to address the asthetics, sexual connotations of, or other people's reaction to the length of one's hair, but rather the pro's and con's of both in terms of functionality. Cool your jets.

Wow it took two years for thread degeneration to occur.... must be a new record....

This thread was started by me as just a fun poll with no serious agenda in mind.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++