WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 5 days in Shenandoah

I would like to do a little backpacking trip from August 12-17 in Shenandoah National Park (I'm coming from Richmond). My boyfriend will drop me off at the starting point on the 12th and pick me up at a pre-determined location on the 17th.

Does anyone know of a good starting and ending point for this length of time (thinking availability of water/views/safety, etc.)? I'd like to do about ten miles per day.

Thanks!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Exclamation Going the wrong way

Anyplace along the AT in Shenandoah is doable over 5 days, as the trail crosses the Drive about once a mile. 50 miles represents about 1/2 the park, so do either the northern or southern 1/2.

But I think you're going the wrong way. I say start @ the southern end of the park @ Rockfish Gap & proceed south. Although tougher hiking to be sure - it is far more picturesque & less populated w/ day hikers. Really, the 1st 20 miles south aren't bad - until you get to the PRIEST!
    Be Prepared

You could get dropped off at Big Meadows which is roughly 60 miles from the southern end of the park at Rockfish Gap/Waynesboro and 45 miles from the northern end at Front Royal. Personally I would head north as it is more scenic then the southern half IMHO plus it would be closer to your daily average of ten miles. Keep in mind though the park is a fairly easy hike and doing 15 to 20 miles per day is for most hikers no problem. As an added bonus you don't have to pack alot of food due to the stores/waysides in the park and Shenandoah is prime yogiing territory. Have fun, Prozac

Lewis Mountain Campground to Front Royal is about 54 miles, and good hike too!

The best parts of Shenandoah National Park are off the ridge and off the AT. Why not do a hike that takes you down some of the side trails, or possibly a loop using the AT to get back to your car or pick up place. For ideas, buy one of the books that shows various backpacking trips in the SNP.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Agree with Peaks. Combine the AT with side trips. You can get the maps and guidebooks through www.patc.net. Once you get those, some sidetrips may suggest themselves but if not, come back and ask some more questions.

Personally, I'm fond of the Rose River Loop, Hawksbill Summit>Cedar Run>Whiteoak Canyon Loop, and Thornton River>Hull School Trail>Piney Branch Loop. Any or all three could be done by leaving the AT at one point and re-joining it at another point (actually, Rose River Loop leaves/rejoins at the same place, Fishers Gap).

You could start at Big Meadows, do the AT and these side trips northbound, and end up at approximately Hogback Mt. trailhead within a not-too-difficult five days.

Smile SNP / GW forrest Hiking

I just came back from the Priest / Crab Tree Falls area. The Priest was busy but we only ran into 2 other groups on our way down to the Falls and back. Not bad! From Richmond your a little over 2 hours away. IF you havent done them before you may want to look at three ridges, one of the blue blaze trails. This is one of my favorite areas. Feel free to email me if you have any questions enjoy your journey!

Hey Sarah -
    I'm doing the same thing (also from Richmond!) this Saturday. We're going to start at Rockfish Gap and go north for a week. Another good stopping point if you don't want to do the whole thing is at Thornton's Gap where the Panorama Resturant is.
    that's about 78 miles from Rockfish. There's lots of options in the SNP. Have fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    Hey Sarah -
    I'm doing the same thing (also from Richmond!) this Saturday. We're going to start at Rockfish Gap and go north for a week. Another good stopping point if you don't want to do the whole thing is at Thornton's Gap where the Panorama Resturant is.
    that's about 78 miles from Rockfish. There's lots of options in the SNP. Have fun.
    Panorama is closed, but you can still park there and get water from the registration station

Default Panorama

[QUOTE=Baby Blue]Panorama is closed, but you can still park there and get water from the registration station[/QUOTE
    ================================================== ========
    Panorama was practically an institution in SNP. Why did it close? I can't imagine the number of passing cars ever decreasing.

BTW, the AT does NOT cross Skyline Drive once a mile. That would be 105 crossings in the park.

Just walk down skyline and when you get tired of walking, hitchhike for a bit. It's called yellow-blazing and my preferred method of travel. What's with this walking thing anyway? A bit overrated in my opinion.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Hi Jackie
    You still like the yellow blazeing. *S* Don't think you're yellow blazeing where you're backpacking now though.
    Scorpion GA-ME 04

++ New Posts ++