WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

On the PCT, trail angels are coming out of the woodwork this year and last! That "rule" is outdated! This is a trend, it seems unfair to the past record holders and attempters, but cant change it, but we can ajust our thinking. In the days of Eric Ryback, a trail angel meant you were dead! lol! If I called myself self supported, id stand behind it. I understand her anger, just following a set of rules that are unclear, but common sense tells me there was a vast amount of support for a not supported hike. Im done with it...Even though Scott hiked in the late summer of 2011, there was still way more snow than the hikers faced this year, but that's how it gos!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Details????
    Go to Anish's Facebook page and look through the comments. I haven't seen Anish or Josh join the fray but their "supporters" sure are. There are references to debates raging elsewhere as well. In a way it's silly, both accomplished a great feat ( as did Matt) and I think most people are in awe of all these efforts. We can let the next generation record setter refine the rules further.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Details????
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Go to Anish's Facebook page and look through the comments.
    For instance...

@Karen Dawn, you've disgraced both Josh and Anish's efforts. I vote you shut you're pie hole until after you've walked the PCT in two months. Maybe after you tried it both ways you could explain how they are not that different. This is supposed to be a celebration and you brought a bowl of turds.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I
    PS I'm still almost positive it's illegal to leave food unattended on federal land. IE unattended food drops in the 100 mile wilderness are illegal.
    Depends on the area. Caches are legal in some NPS/BLM/USFS units.

Posted this earlier:

Using some quick Google Fu, I found this blurb from this site: http://www.nps.gov/grba/parkmgmt/bac...egulations.htm

"Caching of food and water supplies in the backcountry for use on extended backcountry trips is permitted All caches must be clearly marked with a date when they were deposited. Unmarked caches or caches left in excess of 30 days may be removed by park staff."

Seems caches are legal at least in some areas...just pick it up when you are done..AND (very important) call the local office first.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

LOL supported versus unsupported with a touch of veganism to keep it interested. A lot of those commenters would fit in here perfectly, someone should send invitations to them to come join WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post

@Karen Dawn, you've disgraced both Josh and Anish's efforts. I vote you shut you're pie hole until after you've walked the PCT in two months. Maybe after you tried it both ways you could explain how they are not that different. This is supposed to be a celebration and you brought a bowl of turds.
    For instance...
    At least cache the turds!

Can trail magic ruin a record? Can a slice of Pizza ruin the hike? Does it make a difference if it's Chicago style or NY style Pizza? So many details!

Let us assume that you picked up 12 pounds of food for the next 4 days hiking and some "Trail Angel" gives you a 3 pound Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza (Blasphemy by the way), could this potentially slow you down just enough by having to carry but not consume 3 pounds of food for 4 days. Would the 1 pound NY Style Pizza be better "Magic" in terms of taste and energy used in carrying uneaten food?

The NY pizza would get eaten immediately and wouldn't be carried. The Chicago pizza would be like the can of root beer someone mailed me (seriously) - thrown in my pack and consumed about 80 miles later.

As a Chicagoan- Deep Dish all day. Worst pizza I had in my life was in upstate New York. White bread dough, ketchup (had to be), and Kraft American cheese. As to the other stuff- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...18#post1515018 said it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    As a Chicagoan- Deep Dish all day. Worst pizza I had in my life was in upstate New York. White bread dough, ketchup (had to be), and Kraft American cheese. As to the other stuff- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...18#post1515018 said it there.
    Upstate NY is almost Canada? Might as well have been Springfield Illinois!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Upstate NY is almost Canada? Might as well have been Springfield Illinois!
    A sensible reply!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++