WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Purse, wallet stolen from vehicle parked at Appalachian Trail - Pocono Record

Purse, wallet stolen from vehicle parked at Appalachian Trail
    Pocono Record
    A Coach purse and black wallet were stolen Wednesday afternoon from a vehicle parked in the Appalachian Trail parking lot off Mountain Road, police said. A couple from Delaware Water Gap left the vehicle to go for a hike and when they returned around 3 ...

More...

Images

Oh!! I always leave my Coach purse laying in plain sight when I leave the car at the trailhead!

Images

now they have 2 reasons to hate Pa. rocks
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hi...

Tragic loss and damages. A lesson learned the hard way.

So, with my infinite hindsight...you NEVER leave your keys, valuables or food anywhere in the vehicle...even for short periods of time, and ESPECIALLY in plain sight...!! No matter where you park your vehicle. Even in your own driveway.

Journal Entries
    Images

Years ago we returned to our car after a walk to Sunfish Pond to find the window shattered. I was not happy about the break in, and much less so knowing my wife always stashes her wallet under the front seat.

People at the next campsite site took photos of the culprit and later sent us photos of her black ass sticking out the window robbing us. She missed the wallet, however.

Later that evening she returned with two accomplices to rob us again, but we were ready.

A police report was taken, and you can see her plain as day if you look at the top two photos-- at the right hand side of the car.

We have learned our lesson. My wife still leaves her wallet in the car, but the marshmallows and chips now go into the trunk-- in New Jersey, anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rickb; 08-10-2013 at 09:51.

Images

As a PA resident I do sneak out at night and sharpen rocks on the trail. :P
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Images

Rick, well played!

The article does not say where this happened. Or am I missing it? "Mountain Road" in PA could be in over half the counties. Any idea of a more exact location?
    Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by malto View Post
    rick, well played!
    lol..... :d

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    The article does not say where this happened. Or am I missing it? "Mountain Road" in PA could be in over half the counties. Any idea of a more exact location?
    Thanks for the post.
    This could happen at ANY AT trailhead or parking area, don't need to know exact location, if your going to leave your vehicle at any AT parking area, all a person can do is make sure your car is locked up and all your valuables are in the trunk or under the seat out of plan view and hope for the best, and besides if a person wanted in the car BAD enough all they have to do is BUST a window.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    now they have 2 reasons to hate Pa. rocks
    I for one don't hate the PA rocks in fact i enjoy them, PA is my favorite state to hike, ROCK ON PA.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    This could happen at ANY AT trailhead or parking area, don't need to know exact location, if your going to leave your vehicle at any AT parking area, all a person can do is make sure your car is locked up and all your valuables are in the trunk or under the seat out of plan view and hope for the best, and besides if a person wanted in the car BAD enough all they have to do is BUST a window.
    If leaving any valuables in your car, keep in mind that many cars give you quick access to the trunk once you're in the car. All it might take is a smash (of the window), pull (on the trunk handle) and grab (all the valuables from your trunk).

So here is my advice on leaving any car at a trail-head:
    1) Don't leave ANYTHING in plain sight. You never know what might be tempting to a thief, and if it is in plain site, a quick window smash and it is theirs.
    2) Leave your car with the notion that someone is going to smash a window while you're on the trail. Now think through what a criminal might do now that the car is open.

I point out this 2nd rule with the notion that many cars can have their trunks easily opened from inside the car. So placing valuables in the trunk in such a car still leaves the valuables only a window smash from being taken (i.e. all you've done is not advertise the fact you have valuables in the car).

^^^^ I know on person who not only leaves nothing of value in his truck, but leaves it unlocked as well. Figures if someone wants to verify that there is nothing worth stealing let them open the door and find out, rather than break a window. Twice he has returned to find his car locked even though he left it unlocked.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    Thanks for the post.
    It appears to be the main parking area in Delaware Water Gap at Lenape Lake.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

++ New Posts ++