WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

What do I win by laying out my soul on WB?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    How about a dunce cap. BTW, your trail name should have been Wise Horned Owl, then you would be......Who.....instead of Woo.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nah never was that horny...

Ouch... Guess I need to add a Redaction feature... looks like this... redaction.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    Did you punch him in the junk???
    I wouldn't dare. He has the best trail dog I've ever hiked with. I like backpacking with that dog so much that I even put up with it when he brings his owner.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Hate to derail a basically humor thread, with a serious issue, but your story got me wondering. Is it safe for me to store my white gas stove inside my cooking pot? Haven't had an issue yet, but that doesn't mean it is safe. I know it is fairly common practice but is it a good idea?
    I don't actually know the answer, however I would guess that white gas probably tastes just as bad as the acetone solution in my story. If that's the case then your sense of taste and smell will likely do a good job of preventing any accidental ingestion. Another lesson I learned that day was to always check inside the cook pot before using it, this alone would most likely prevent any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm still feeling guilty about calling someone a dummy a week ago, made me recall what a dumba** I was when I was younger, I'm still alive only by the grace of God, cant believe some of the stupid stuff i did, it's a miracle any kid lives past the age of 12. What's the dumbest thing you've done, nothing please that can be used against you in a court of law.
    on the AT? this is AT specific, no?

Never fry bacon naked. And no, don't ask how I know....

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I don't actually know the answer, however I would guess that white gas probably tastes just as bad as the acetone solution in my story. If that's the case then your sense of taste and smell will likely do a good job of preventing any accidental ingestion. Another lesson I learned that day was to always check inside the cook pot before using it, this alone would most likely prevent any problems.
    I think I will store the stove separately and use the pot to prevent food like cheerios from getting crushed in the backpack. While the taste will probably prevent a fatal ingestion, I would rather skip having me and the kids puking if the stove leaks and I don't catch it.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Not enough band width on the INTERNET! Suffice it to say that I'm amazed that I'm still alive. Yep, as I get older, I do get a bit more cautious, but Getting from about 2 to 20, , , was a Herculean effort mixed with a LOT of luck!

Hiking related:
    Took BIG swig of alcohol cooking fuel, didn't swallow, but nearly did. Had it in a very small Gatorade bottle, thinking I could differentiate from the BIG Gatorade bottle that held my water (8 Oz vs 32 Oz) I was SO wrong!
    Kicked a hole in a really nice, deep layer of duff for a Cat Hole, assumed the position & felt a white hot 10 Penny nail being driven into my right calf, about 0.01 seconds later I felt another in my Left thigh. Turns out that I had kicked a hole in the door of a LARGE nest of Ground hornets. I RAN! Turned out I "Only" was stung 8 times just in the legs, & am not allergic. It still hurt like H***! On a happy note, due to the venom being a neuro toxin, my legs didn't cramp at all that night. :-)
    Have had Hypothermia 3 times, ALWAYS during Rain, only one time below 45f! With the last one being close to the "I want to take my clothing off" stage. You know, the stage just before death. The other 2 I had stopped shivering,,,, a long time ago! All 3 times I made it to camp & got warm & ate a LOT! You know, , "FUN!"
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I think I will store the stove separately and use the pot to prevent food like cheerios from getting crushed in the backpack. While the taste will probably prevent a fatal ingestion, I would rather skip having me and the kids puking if the stove leaks and I don't catch it.
    Now that you say it, that's sounds like a really good use for the cookpot.

Also, I ended up switching to isobutane canisters and a pocket rocket. The stuff expands into a gas as soon as it leaves the cannister, no chance of residue.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    Never fry bacon naked. And no, don't ask how I know....
    No need to ask....been there, done that, ouch.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

A canoe, a river at flood and to many national geographic shows.

There aren't enough pixels to even begin the list. I am lucky to be here.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Maybe not the dumbest thing I ever did, but right up in there. I'm re-posting this from a trail journal post to a thread.

In 1982 graduated high school and recently finished peter jenkins book "A walk across America". Hiking was what I needed to do. A friend and I went to the delaware water gap in NJ. Snow was on the ground. We hiked in a few miles and found a nice spot it was by a little stream flat ground fire wood every where we were tired and it was already dark. We were not aware of the rules about land use, nor did we care at the time. We had brought with us lots of food a couple big "T-bones", and plenty of beer. That night we had a big roaring fire and a good beering. A small hill was near by we had also brought a couple of rolled up plastic sleds, what big fun we had. It will always be one of my best memories of a mis-spent youth. The next mourning while breaking camp my buddy starts laughing uncontrollable. Whats so funny I asked? he pointed up towards the sky, What I said not seeing anything. There, right there, on the tree. Aparently we were not the first to find this spot, there was a big sign made of wood that read

NO camping
    NO fires
    NO alcohol.

big big Ooops.

I've also fixed some of the punctuation as it was written before I met one of my Englich Teachers, Driver 8. He taught me how to use the return Key and spacing...thanks Driver 8.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 08-13-2013 at 00:16.

I don't qualify. I have never done anything dumb in my life unless you count lying.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Honest answer now:

Drinking and driving. Haven't done it since 1980 though. It is one thing to be dumb with your own life. It takes it to a whole new level when you are dumb with another life.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Honest answer now:

Drinking and driving. Haven't done it since 1980 though. It is one thing to be dumb with your own life. It takes it to a whole new level when you are dumb with another life.
    Hey Bird Brain, you can add that one to my list as well, though this Sunday I'll have 10 years sobriety Aug 18th, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Hey Bird Brain, you can add that one to my list as well, though this Sunday I'll have 10 years sobriety Aug 18th, 2003
    Congrats. October 18, 1980 for me.

Journal Entries

I am 6 years sober and month and a half non smoking. It took a DUI for me to quit drinking. I have never felt better.
    Blackheart

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++