WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default White Mountains Trail Map

I'm planning a weekend hike SB from Crawford Notch to Franconia Notch on the AT. I have heard that there are many trails in the White Mountains, and that the AT may not be blazed, and may just follow trails that also have other names. Does anyone know if this is the case between Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch? Does anyone know of an online map that would show the trails in this section? Thanks.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

White Mountain Guide On-Line provided by the AMC. Very good.

https://www.wmgonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    I'm planning a weekend hike SB from Crawford Notch to Franconia Notch on the AT. I have heard that there are many trails in the White Mountains, and that the AT may not be blazed, and may just follow trails that also have other names. Does anyone know if this is the case between Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch? Does anyone know of an online map that would show the trails in this section? Thanks.
    The AT is marked just fine– not as many blazes, but every junction has a sign that says the trail name (most of the trails are older than the AT, which is why they're not just called AT) and clearly indicates which way the AT goes. Franconia to Crawford is easy as pie to follow. Most of the trouble that AT hikers seem to have is between Crawford and Pinkham. But even that is only bad if you're too lazy to read trail signs.

Also, grab a copy of Map Adventures' White Mountains trail map, or the AMC White Mountains maps. Both are well worth the investment.

Images

Thanks! I appreciate the information.
    Formerly uhfox

Images

You will be fine as long as you follow the white blazes & know next hut or mountain. Trails southbound will be: Etahn pond,Zealand Ridge, Twinway, Garfield Ridge, & Franconia Ridge trails. At is signed well & if in doubt know which hut is next with the exeption of Galehead.

Images

Thanks, Mountain Mike. That helps a lot!
    Formerly uhfox

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    You will be fine as long as you follow the white blazes & know next hut or mountain. Trails southbound will be: Etahn pond,Zealand Ridge, Twinway, Garfield Ridge, & Franconia Ridge trails. At is signed well & if in doubt know which hut is next with the exeption of Galehead.
    Galehead is very close to the AT, actually a good stopping point for a break, snacks if you want, etc. Maybe you meant Greenleaf, which is about a mile down off the summit of Lafayette?

Images

I'd also second what Guthook said and grab the maps he mentions. Always better to have them and not need them, than run into some situation where you do need them and not have them, especially up here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    And, to finish the hike, if you do the A.T. the whole way, to come down off Franconia Ridge near Mt. Liberty via the Liberty Spring Trail.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

++ New Posts ++