WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Status - New Jersey and Southern New York

Planning a section hike beginning at Mohican Outdoor Center (1300.1) to Bear Mountain Rec area (1398.5) from August 21 - 18, 2013. I was wondering how the water sources are and any special advice people can share. Thanks!

Should be August 21 - 28, 2013.

Images

Its been a pretty wet and rainy summer..should be fine

For drinking of boating? Plenty of water out there. The first section in NJ is on top of a ridge. When the trail comes off the ridges you will find the creeks full of water. Speaking of water in this area, this is August, the heat of the Summer causes bacteria populations to spike in all ponds and beaver dams. This waters runs off into the creeks. Be sure to filter or sterilize creek water. You will find water in all locations indicated on maps and guides. Some of the shelters and waysides have city water or well water, make note of them in the guide. When you come off High Point Mt the trail bears East and cuts across the grain of the Appalachians. That means you will be working a rollercoaster of low hills. Between High Point and Vernon it's swampy. The area between Vernon NJ and the New York thruway is a series of up and down bolder climbs that is very rough and will slow you down. This is a great section.

Thanks for a great summary! Much appreciated!

On that ridge section that moldy mentioned (the Kittattinny Ridge): North of Millbrook Road, as the AT approaches Long Pond Road and crosses Flatbrookville-Stillwater Road, there is an old fashioned manual water pump just to the left of the trail. I've never known it to not provide water, and I've never gotten sick from drinking from it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Images

Top off at MOC TAP. 1st water north is Rattlesnake spring past and below Catfish fire tower. Just to left were trail turns right on gravel road. If you miss it, there's a small lake ahead.

The pump wasn't working when I passed by. There's water just ahead where a pond drains across the trail.

Mash. Shelter is listed as dry, but check the bear box. The caretaker stashes water inside.

I loaded tap water at Highpoint ranger station and at Jim's place.

Don't miss topping off at the White House on the way up Pochuck. I was amazed how many hikers disregarded the sign saying water and then asked where the water was at Pochuck shelter.

Top off at heaven Hill Farm before Wawayanda.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

++ New Posts ++