WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana READ!!! Important!!! GSMNP Question

Simple Question:

I hate shelters, I like Shelter locations...I have seen people do it, I have not but would like to in the future.

Can I tent camp on the AT, at shelter sights, and not get penalized. I have seen people tent at Mollies Ridge and they were quick to leave the next morning and sure enough a ridgerunner(a rude one) came along with his gripes.

I would like to know what the real rules are here as far as the park goes, and what the penalty is if "caught"

I would not necarily be apposed to ghost camping but I would like the security of bear cables, fire rings and shelter conversation. The more info the better on this so please feel free to respond. No short stories lol

If shelters are full, you tent. You seem to want all the benefits of a shelter, without the shelter. Why was your post so important?

Yes, ridgerunners can be rude when they have to keep dealing with people who break the rules. Break the law if you wish, but if your caught, you could be fined and expelled from the park.

If you don't like shelters, then don't go to the Smokies or hike someplace other then on the AT. Its a big park with lots of tenting sites scattered around.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I dont like shelters because of the obvious reasons, And if it were up to alot of people there wouldnt be any shelters. They are a magnet for filth, party people mice rats which = snakes, bears and doomoss' lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yes, ridgerunners can be rude when they have to keep dealing with people who break the rules. Break the law if you wish, but if your caught, you could be fined and expelled from the park.

If you don't like shelters, then don't go to the Smokies or hike someplace other then on the AT. Its a big park with lots of tenting sites scattered around.

Did you answer any of my quesitons? NOPE! so either be proactive or dont post thanks

WOW seriously?!?

I dont see the issues here, It was a simple series of questions, I didnt recieve straight forward answers.

The question your asking is it alright to break the law and the answer is NO.

Tent where you want. Accept the consequences. Happy trails

The answer is NO you can not camp on the AT in the GSMNP.

One possible exception - if you hike during thru hiker season and the shelter is full you can camp in site of the shelter.

The fine is at the discretion of the judge. It legally can be as much as $5,000 and 6 months in jail. It won't be near that much for a first time offender.

Now some advice since I've answered your questions. If you are going to hike in the GSMNP get your permit and follow the rules. If you hate shelters and rules do as I do - don't hike in the park. You have 2,100 other miles to choose from.

No you ignorant old man! My question was not:"Is it okay to break the law!" Did it say that? Nope! MY Exact words, If you can read is :"I would like to know what the real rules are here as far as the park goes, and what the penalty is if "caught" What are the Real rules?! I have only heard from other people, not read it in the regulations of the smokies.

It is hard to not get a crotchety ass resonse on this damn site, every body wants to act like a know it all smartass.

Go take a long walk
    Off of a short peir.

No matter the exact wording of your question, the implication is you want to fluant the regulations, given your statement about not liking shelters.

I belive the regulations are spelled out pretty clearly on the web site. You must stay at designated sites and if that is on the AT, you must stay in a shelter. With one expection - if you are a thru-hiker (having started at least 50 miles outside the park) and the shelter is full of people with reservations, then you can tent near-by in the poop zone.

Maybe you should call the park and ask the question exactly as you asked it here and see what they have to say....

Oh, when you go to pay for your reservations, there is quite a lengthy list of rules and regulations your suppost to read and then when you pay, you have aggreed to follow those rules and regulations.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 08-21-2013 at 11:11.

Images

The rules are available to all on the Smokies National Park website, please feel free to read them there.

All you have to do is go on the GSMNP website and you will find out all the Rules and Regulations concerning the Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    No you ignorant old man! My question was not:"Is it okay to break the law!" Did it say that? Nope! MY Exact words, If you can read is :"I would like to know what the real rules are here as far as the park goes, and what the penalty is if "caught" What are the Real rules?! I have only heard from other people, not read it in the regulations of the smokies.

It is hard to not get a crotchety ass resonse on this damn site, every body wants to act like a know it all smartass.

Go take a long walk
    Off of a short peir.
    It's apparently not hard to give one (smart ass response) either.

Here's the short answer. No camping at shelters unless they're full and you're a thru-hiker (start/end 50 miles outside the park).

Ok. Pretty sure the OP knows the rules.

His question seems to be more along the lines of "What happens if I get caught breaking them?" with the hope that the rules, like the Pirate Code, are more like "guidelines".
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Where's the bridge, I smell a troll.

Images

Default I guess he told you... Old Man... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    No you ignorant old man! ... Go take a long walk Off of a short peir.
    *Pier And, http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm "...Please direct questions concerning backpacking trip planning to the Backcountry Information Office at (865) 436-1297... Failure to abide by park regulations may subject you to a fine under Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations. Maximum fine for each violation is $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail." http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm "... Reservations and permits are required for all overnight stays in the backcountry. To make reservations, please visit the backcountry reservation website... 7. Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters." You're welcome, Another Old Man

Images

hummm.. i think i get it... if you dont get the answer you want to your question ..... get pissed?
    Just when i thought i had figured this place out too..

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Where's the bridge, I smell a troll.
    You think. LOL Nobody talks like that right off the bat unless they are fishing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++