WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

After seeing someone blow up a canister, I think they are a bit too dangerous. On the other hand, the same person who blew up his canister managed to almost burn up a picnic table with a alcohol stove a year later. I guess some people shouldn't be allowed around anything that burns! Not at all sure how to handle his request to go on my hike next year.

You can reconsider adding weight to your kit as much as you want, whether it be stoves or sleeping pads or tents or boots or whatever.

The simple fact is it's all weight and not hauling it up and down the pointless up and downs always makes me feel better.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
    So what's the general consensus when you consider efficiency, cost, etc - HEET, or denatured alcohol?
    Denatured alcohol is usually about $7 for a quart. HEET runs about $2.30 for a 12oz bottle. So the price per oz is almost the same. As far as efficiency, I think they are close enough for all but the most dedicated "stovie." Usually I find HEET to be easier to find and more convenient, because I don't need a full quart at a time.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
    So what's the general consensus when you consider efficiency, cost, etc - HEET, or denatured alcohol?
    Yes.

They both burn clean, and they're about the same price. The chemistry says that the denatured alcohol should be a shade more efficient, but the experience says it doesn't matter.

Everclear 190 proof would be ideal - it burns clean, it's got a higher energy content than denatured, and it's fuel, antiseptic and libation in one convenient package. But it's deuced expensive in the states where it's legal, and it's not legal in a fair number of states on the AT. (North Carolina, West Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine ban its sale outright, and the state package stores in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Vermont don't carry it.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

In eastern woodlands where fire bans are not an issue, I began many moons ago with white gas, then switched to homemade alcohol, then to Caldera Cone with alcohol, then CC with Esbit, then wood primary with Esbit backup. I have some canister stoves which I would use in fire ban areas, but so far have not had to do so. Above tree line I still use Esbit in a CC. Use what works for you. Try new things and change if it makes sense to you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Yes.
    Everclear 190 proof would be ideal - it burns clean, it's got a higher energy content than denatured, and it's fuel, antiseptic and libation in one convenient package. But it's deuced expensive in the states where it's legal, and it's not legal in a fair number of states on the AT. (North Carolina, West Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine ban its sale outright, and the state package stores in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Vermont don't carry it.)
    Well, it should burn clean, but I get a little sooty residue from straight everclear, and spotless operation from SLX. Go figure. Air supply may play a role. Everclear also doesnt light as easily because its vapor pressure is lower. I tend to spike my SLX with everclear , 75/25 to get a blend that lights a bit easier, burns a bit cleaner (in my setup) , and still burns a bit hotter than straight SLX, evidenced by slightly shorter boil times.

Everclear runs about $12 liter with tax at my grocery store, so thats double SLX price basically.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-25-2013 at 21:37.

Journal Entries
    Images

[Quote}So what's the general consensus when you consider efficiency, cost, etc - HEET, or denatured alcohol?
    I've got a Trangia alcohol stove that I've barely tinkered with and a PocketRocket on the way (bought off another forum) - I'll probably take them both on my trip next month and experiment, since it'll be 50% car-camping and thus weight won't be an issue. [QUOTE] Dry Wood

You can make your own ethanol. Legal if not for drinking and you get the permit.

http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf

Images

Here's my 2 cents worth. I first started hiking in the mid 70s and used a Primus butane stove which the canister also fit a small heater with stand and a parabolic reflector or a lantern. Then a few years later I eyed the beautiful shinny brass Svea 123 and had to have it. Only paid $37 for it, and a few dollars for a Sigg aluminum fuel bottle. The stove lasted for over 3500 miles before blowing the relief valve and producing quite a surprising show. The fuel bottle was in the back of a pick up truck heading for a car camping trip. Never made it to that trip due to a traffic accident which I overturned the truck and the fuel bottle was pretty well half flattened under the truck. The fuel bottle did not leak a drop despite being destroyed. Now nearing the 5000 mile hiking mark I have found at shelters and some campsites probably hundreds of empty or partially empty fuel canisters. In a shelter, in the privy or half buried with other trash, some just thrown as far as could be from a campsite. Never found even 1 empty white gas fuel bottle......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++