WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ace let it go - you weren't there.
    Which is exactly why I asked the question. I may be there next time and would like to know the poster's experience for my own preparation. I would think such information would be useful to those reading the different views on carrying bear spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ace let it go - you weren't there.
    Are you quoting a line from Stand by Me?

The first rule of dealing with bears is to understand that east of the Mississippi, you will only encounter black bears, who DO NOT want to eat you. In states or places where they are not hunted, they might associate hikers with delicious fatty and sugary snacks, not high-protein human flesh. Just don't leave food or food residue around your tent or especially in your tent, and you will be OK. I have encountered lots of bears in the Pennsylvania woods, and usually all I see is their backsides as they run away, even sows with cubs. At least in PA, there is no wild animal that you need to fear.

Journal Entries

Actually, a black bear wants to eat you more than a grizzly does. Often they will consume people after killing them.

A grizzly just has a bad temper, black bears have been known to predate on people.

But the reason the vast majority of bears dont, is they are not conditioned to think of humans as food source. That is why when a bear does predate on a person, or eat it, we immediately kill it. Sometimes kill several to make sure we got the right one. Bears are very quick learners.

However in the east, most every bears are conditioned to avoid people, but they do want the food if they can get it without a fight.

Journal Entries

I look at bear spray the same way I do first aid kits. I carry it and hope I never have to use it.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    Which is exactly why I asked the question. I may be there next time and would like to know the poster's experience for my own preparation. I would think such information would be useful to those reading the different views on carrying bear spray.
    That's a tough decision, and a personal one. Although for years I have hiked in the woods, I have watched my dad have a close call with an Elk and I did with a buck in the rut, We both stood our ground in different situations. Now that we know that bear bells and other defenses are useless, If I was in bear country, yea I would buy a can and wear it, regardless if it is a real defense.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-24-2013 at 06:40.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Only a little over a week ago, the Wildlife Manager/trapper for this area a SW Virginia told me, without my asking, always to be armed when I hike on the trail. I responded, telling him that I do carry. I carry current-dated Counter Assault, which sprays 30 feet. He said, "Then you are armed." And that ended the conversation about the bears that are showing up around here this year.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

If the reason you want to carry bear spray for protection from bears and hogs you don't need it. Unnecessary weight and expense.

If you are carrying it for protection against humans then I'll let you make that decision. I don't see the need to carry anything, others won't go out unless they are armed to the hilt. Your choice.

Yes, the woods and the creatures who live there are VERY dangerous, and you are VERY brave for daring to enter their domain. I'm being facetious, but it seems there's a significant minority who believe that, and whose time in the woods is defined by terror or bravado. It probably makes for good cocktail-party chat, but it's BS. Like Max says, the only critter you need to worry about is a certain bi-pedal primate.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If the reason you want to carry bear spray for protection from bears and hogs you don't need it. Unnecessary weight and expense.

If you are carrying it for protection against humans then I'll let you make that decision. I don't see the need to carry anything, others won't go out unless they are armed to the hilt. Your choice.

Well that was the owl' subconscious thoghts that was to remain unspoken....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Yes, the woods and the creatures who live there are VERY dangerous, and you are VERY brave for daring to enter their domain. I'm being facetious, but it seems there's a significant minority who believe that, and whose time in the woods is defined by terror or bravado. It probably makes for good cocktail-party chat, but it's BS. Like Max says, the only critter you need to worry about is a certain bi-pedal primate.
    HE HE +1 on that. I live in an area of PA fifteen minutes from the AT in NJ if that makes sense to ya. Anyway, I walk six miles a day around the lake I live near. I almost always see a bear; actually, one visits my neighbors shed it tore the door off of the other night, that one is missing a foot. Seriously, it is missing a foot, he's been around since last year. Just don't bait the darn things and there won't be an issue. I walked past one just last night around 8pm on my evening walk. No biggie, we looked at each other, had a good smile, went our separate ways. All good, no weapons of mass destruction needed. I would hate to see one rabid though. ugh. A rabid beaver bit a boy scout last year at the river. Not cool.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

So I'm go an go with bear spray, not pepper spray. I will carry it just like I carry a first aid kit

CK
    Carry it if it gives you some comfort and/or peace. Extremely rare that you would encounter a bear, but to me it's one of those things you'd probably wish you had if you needed it, especially if you solo hike.

Images

Comfort levels are different for everyone; happy to see you took into consideration the suggestions. Personally, I'd carry four cans of bear spray strapped to my waist belt if I was in grizzly territory. Though, don't fall and puncture any of them!
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Korn View Post
    So I'm go an go with bear spray, not pepper spray. I will carry it just like I carry a first aid kit
    The Ficticious First Aid Kit?
    The one you pull all the bandaids out and replace then with usable drugs? Na Mate I don't carry one.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    CK
    Extremely rare that you would encounter a bear, but to me it's one of those things you'd probably wish you had if you needed it, especially if you solo hike.
    Extremely rare to encounter a black bear that acts aggressive toward you may be a better way of putting it.

Bear encounters arent rare at all. Ive had 3 this year, 2 were pretty close. One ran at warp speed, one just stared at me and laid down and watched me, and a momma and cub walked by me about 30ft away and didnt pay any attention to me.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-26-2013 at 00:13.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm too old for the excess weight of some fancy new fangled spray or even the wheelgun. Too heavy never had that type of encounter and these days my reactions are not what they used to be so doubt if I could get anything into play anyway. I doubt if a creature were that hungry it wouldn't be just waiting for the fog. Any extra weight I carry is going to end up in my stomach.
    Last edited by lemon b; 08-26-2013 at 16:00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++