WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite fire

Images

Default Yosemite fire

Maybe it's been mentioned here but I haven't seen it. Did just read on-line that Yosemite is canceling all of the back country backpacking permits for the Tuolome (sp) Meadows area and the park. I have relatives in the San Francisco area, where a state of emergency has been declared because they get 85% of their water and their hydropower from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir and it's endangered by the fire. And yet, I did also read that in the Yosemite Valley the air is clear and no sign of the fire, but the smoke has gone over the Sierras into Nevada and is shutting down things there.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Images

Re-read the story - they're not issuing any more permits and trying to get hikers that have them to stay out of there. So they haven't actually canceled any....yet. Yosemite is close to my heart because my family used to vacation there in the mid-60's and my husband and I spent the first 4 days of our honeymoon there in one of the campgrounds. Been back many times since in all seasons. The friend that was my maid of honor at my wedding recently retired after 30 years as a ranger in the park. This is truly heart-breaking for her.

Images

I must say this fire has me concerned. I'm not all that familiar with California wildfires, but I'm supposed to hike the northern half of the JMT starting at Happy Isles in two weeks....

I have several day hikes scheduled in Yosemite in 8 days. First time to Yosemite. Flying 2000 miles to get there. Go figure!
    A bad day on the trail is still better than your best day at work! Never, never, ever quit.

Images

This is nowhere near the JMT. It would have to travel all the way up the Grand Canyon of the Toulemne going around Hetch Hetchy. That is good 30-40 miles.

The fire is not currently in the area of the JMT or Yosemite Valley. It seems it has entered YNP in the far northwestern corner in the Stanislaus Nat Forest area. This might affect the PCT as well because the PCT follows along the border of the Humboldt-Toiyabe and Stanislaus National Forest from miles 1,010 – 1,045 and I think briefly enters Stanislaus NF. The PCT is only about 12 miles from Hetch Hetchy and goes through Tuolmne Meadows. But the fire isn't currently at HH or TM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    This is nowhere near the JMT. It would have to travel all the way up the Grand Canyon of the Toulemne going around Hetch Hetchy. That is good 30-40 miles.
    I realize (1) it isn't close to the JMT now and (2) that the prevailing winds tend to be to the east. That said, I'm no expert in wildfires. I do know that its been very dry and that no rain is expected this week. I figure this most likely wont affect my hike, but I am concerned. I'd rather not be hiking in smoke and haze.

I'm making contingency plans to hike farther south, but I expect that I will be able to stick with my original plans.

Images

rim fire.jpgShows the outline of the current Rim Fire and then the outlines of past fires.

Images

Credit for the above map should go to the Modesto Bee newspaper. It was shared on FB as being from them and that's how I got it.

Journal Entries

Fire is worse due to forest service policy of suppressing fires , allowing fuel to accumulate.
    Natural, necessary, and unnavoidable.

Images

Here is a link to a map showing all the current fire perimeters. The PCT is shown in Blue. the JMT will basically be the blue line south of Rt. 120. http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=1&dmode=999

Images

http://wildlandfire.maps.arcgis.com/...43bef90c27ae51

This is from my friend, the retired ranger, who is keeping in touch with the rangers in the park during all of this. They are very adamant that no one go out there to hike anywhere near the park and are also adamant that anyone planning to go anyway should call the rangers first. The winds are high and they really don't know where it's going to move to next.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    http://wildlandfire.maps.arcgis.com/...43bef90c27ae51

This is from my friend, the retired ranger, who is keeping in touch with the rangers in the park during all of this. They are very adamant that no one go out there to hike anywhere near the park and are also adamant that anyone planning to go anyway should call the rangers first. The winds are high and they really don't know where it's going to move to next.
    Wow, what an over reaction. If it was as bad as you outlined the park would be closed. They haven't even closed Tioga Road through the park. And "anywhere near the park". Do you have any idea how large of an area that is?

here is the parks information site for current conditions. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Wow, what an over reaction. If it was as bad as you outlined the park would be closed. They haven't even closed Tioga Road through the park. And "anywhere near the park". Do you have any idea how large of an area that is?

here is the parks information site for current conditions. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm
    According to her, and she is direct contact with the rangers, this is not an over reaction. It's pretty much verbatim what she was told and what she told me. She also posted a photo of the road to Hetch Hetchy - burned out and still spreading towards the reservoir. They simply do not want any more people out there to have to worry about - hikers, campers, backpackers.

Images

Images

Mrs. Baggins,

Does your friend think the other fires west of the JMT might pose a risk over the next few weeks? While currently smaller, they're also remote. If they grow, it seems to me that prevailing winds would carry them toward the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    Mrs. Baggins,

Does your friend think the other fires west of the JMT might pose a risk over the next few weeks? While currently smaller, they're also remote. If they grow, it seems to me that prevailing winds would carry them toward the trail.
    I'll ask her. Right now the winds are gusting at 50 mph, it's up to 144,000 acres, and no rain in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I'll ask her. Right now the winds are gusting at 50 mph, it's up to 144,000 acres, and no rain in sight.
    Sounds like a fire of biblical proportions.

Images

I messaged her on FB and here is her exact reply:

They NEED to contact the wilderness office for specific closures. Alot of trails are closed. . They can call 209 372 0327. For the specific closures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++