WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question about water treatment.

Just as a quick intro, I am planning a NOBO thru hike next spring. I have a Katadyn Hiker Water Filter, but I would like a back-up treatment. I have a hypo-thyroid condition (on medication) and I heard that one of the treatments can affect my thyroid. Has any heard of this? If so, which treatment should I avoid?

Than you in advance.

Glen

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Avoid iodine-based treatments, if you're on an iodine restriction in your diet. But the really popular iodine-based treatment, Polar Pure, has been off the market for a couple of years now, thanks to the DEA. Chlorine and chlorine-dioxide-based ones are ok, so Aqua Mira, Potable Aqua and similar should be fine.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Are you going to carry a stove? if you are you have your back up already. If your filter fails just boil your water.

The reality is you will most likely not be alone very often and other hikers will have some type of water treatment you can borrow in an emergency, and if by chance you are alone when your filter fails, you can boil.

No need to carry additional backup. It would be a redundant redundancy

+1 on what AK said above, stay away from iodine.

Carry a Sawyer filter--very light. You can make it work with Platy bags and SmartWater bottles.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Are you going to carry a stove? if you are you have your back up already. If your filter fails just boil your water.

The reality is you will most likely not be alone very often and other hikers will have some type of water treatment you can borrow in an emergency, and if by chance you are alone when your filter fails, you can boil.

No need to carry additional backup. It would be a redundant redundancy

+1 on what AK said above, stay away from iodine.
    This answer is spot on, just want to add two things:

1) If you choose to carry a chemical backup, Aqua Mira (chlorine dioxide) liquid drops are probably the most popular chemical treatment for long distance hiking on the A.T.. Whatever chemicals you bring, have your doctor/pharmacist look at the ingredients and clear them before you use them. As with any advice from the Internet, trust but verify.

2) You probably already know this, but if your main water treatment is a filter, make sure to empty it after use whenever temps are cold to keep it from freezing and cracking. Many a thru hiker has destroyed a filter early in the season by not doing this.

3) Have fun!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

If you bring a filter, do yourself a favor and take a Sawyer.

In general, filters are trouble. They work on clean water. Not all water is clean. Sawyer has the best filter out there and it can be backflushed easily. No moving parts or o-rings to not work, no expensive cartridges to replace. And much much lighter than your hiker pro. More reliable too.

If you want to dirtbag, take an eye dropper bottle of bleach, and be choosy about your water sources.

Or take some AM tablets, or Micropur tablets. You can keep a supply of AM in a bounce box so its there if you need it.

I would agree with pretty much everything being said. Avoid I2 as your backup treatment. I would invest in the Sawyer Squeeze filter, and then just get a small disposable bottle to keep bleach in. You can probably empty out a visine/clear eyes dropper bottle and take that. Just a heads up, bleach does have a shelf-life, so, try to get from a recently opened source, and change it out every few months. I hate all chemical treatments, but I did use bleach on occasion (when I was trying to lay down miles, or when I froze my filter...doh). Also, make sure it's non-scented, just normal bleach. You don't wanna drink fresh lavender bleach...well, maybe you do, but I wouldn't want to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SipseyFreak View Post
    Carry a Sawyer filter--very light. You can make it work with Platy bags and SmartWater bottles.
    Smartwater bottles yes, as well as other bottles with a traditional soda bottle cap.

Platypus bags are too prone to leakage because the thread pitch is wildly off. The right solution is to use either the new Sawyer bags or an Evernew bladder. Some people really like the Evernew bladders because the lids are attached with a cord to prevent them from getting lost.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've had a hard time finding the Evernew bladders.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Sawyer seems to be most popular on the trail this year.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

You all did see that the OP already has a hiker pro?

He was just asking about a backup, not a replacement filter. Is anyone actually suggesting he should carry the squeeze as his backup? Or is this thread just turning into another "my gear choice is better than your gear choice" thread?

Agree w/ Kidchill and MuddyWaters.
    2 drops of bleach per litre.
    Barely notice a taste if you notice at all.
    Ultra light, ultra cheap, takes up almost no space.
    Don't go out with expensive gizmos unless you really have to.

Images

I use a Sweetwater - has worked GREAT with hardly any problems. I also found this: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-02214-Swee...ds=siltstopper

Even in clear water, the filter seemed to clog rapidly until I got the silt stopper. I've used the same filter for 300+ miles after putting it on, just changing the silt stopper filter material once. I use PA+ (iodine) after filtering as I'm intensely paranoid about my water, but I use a neutralizer that comes with it after 30 minutes or better. Ask your Dr about if the neutralizer works to get the iodine out when used.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Avoid iodine-based treatments, if you're on an iodine restriction in your diet. But the really popular iodine-based treatment, Polar Pure, has been off the market for a couple of years now, thanks to the DEA. Chlorine and chlorine-dioxide-based ones are ok, so Aqua Mira, Potable Aqua and similar should be fine.
    Just to clarify a bit re Potable Aqua.

Back when I thru'd the only Potable Aqua available was iodine based. I used that as the backup to my filter, and then as my primary when I mailed the filter home, and then only on an occasional basis when the water source was suspect.

In addition to the iodine based product, Potable Aqua now has a chlorine dioxide product available. The instructions require a 4 hour contact time, so personally I wouldn't use it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    You all did see that the OP already has a hiker pro?

He was just asking about a backup, not a replacement filter. Is anyone actually suggesting he should carry the squeeze as his backup? Or is this thread just turning into another "my gear choice is better than your gear choice" thread?
    i would go with the sawyer, and take the hikerpro as a backup.

i do use a sawyer, and aquamira as backup

Quote Originally Posted by boulder06 View Post
    Agree w/ Kidchill and MuddyWaters.
    2 drops of bleach per litre.
    Barely notice a taste if you notice at all.
    Ultra light, ultra cheap, takes up almost no space.
    Don't go out with expensive gizmos unless you really have to.
    +1 for bleach...I use 3 drops /liter...if I treat at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post

I have two Hikerpros, a Sawyer, Aquamira, and iodine tablets...never use any of them, only use bleach. If I ever get sick I promise to post it so you guys can make fun of me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I have two Hikerpros, a Sawyer, Aquamira, and iodine tablets...never use any of them, only use bleach. If I ever get sick I promise to post it so you guys can make fun of me.
    i didnt treat my water at all this spring till i got to hot springs, and only then because of the noro-bs.
    the sawyer however weighs next to nothing.

I have used the Katahdan Hiker-Pro on all of my hikes and never had any problems, I would use the Hiker-Pro has the main water treatment and Aquamira as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post

Didn't you post a mediocre review of the sawyer, or am I misremembering again?

(Actually, before the English grammar police jump me, the review was good, it was the sawyer that was mediocre.)

++ New Posts ++