WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The RMC 100 challenge - completed!

Today I finally completed hiking the last 0.7 miles of the Randolph Mountain Clubs 102.6 miles of trails. It only took 3 years

With 70 different named trails all going in different directions, crossing each other or simply dead ending onto a non-RMC trail, it's the ultimate traveling salesman problem to figure out how to do them in an efficent maner without too much back tracking. As it is, you got to hike about 150 miles to complete the 100. Some of these trails are quite insane, like the climbs out King Ravine. All three of them.

The RMC 100 challenge was devised as a celebration of the RMC's 100th birthday back in 2010. Someone realized that the club maintained about 100 miles of trail so the challenge was born. I suppose since there is actually closer to 103 miles of trail, it's approperate I finished in 2013.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, although painful at times to do all these trails. A lot of them I hadn't been on since working trail crew in the late 80's and some I had never gotten on before. Many of them I have hiked countless times. This is after all, my back yard.

Okay, on to the next item on the bucket list, complete the NH 4000 footers and New Englands 100 highest.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Nice job, Slo goen! There sure is alot of crossings and back and forths on that list. And don't forget the 52 with a view list.....
    Greg P.

Images

great job, slo'goen!
    i remeber when you first told me about the challenge. i just wish i lived closer, there are so many side links, its a difficult task to make sure you've hit every one.
    my favorite trail from kings ravine was the great gully trail.that weird boulder squeeze on a ledge is a little dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    great job, slo'goen!
    i remeber when you first told me about the challenge. i just wish i lived closer, there are so many side links, its a difficult task to make sure you've hit every one.
    my favorite trail from kings ravine was the great gully trail.that weird boulder squeeze on a ledge is a little dicey.
    I take my pack off and toss it ahead for that squeeze! That's a scarry little scramble around the water fall. As it is, your butt hangs out over the cliff for a bit there.

The RMC has a little booklet you can print out with all the trails listed which can be used to keep track of it all.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Wow. Very cool, Slo. Nice job!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I take my pack off and toss it ahead for that squeeze! That's a scarry little scramble around the water fall. As it is, your butt hangs out over the cliff for a bit there.

The RMC has a little booklet you can print out with all the trails listed which can be used to keep track of it all.
    i have it. it aggravates me, as i know i'll probably never complete the list.
    unless i move up there.
    hmmmm

Just met some Canadians from Ottawa that just finished their 46 4ks strictly climbing on vacation. The RMC trails have two distinct personalities, the local trails on the North of Rt 2 with the exception of Ice Gulch are all usually pretty easy woods walks, not a lot of views, The ones south of RT2 can be real steep and several are very under maintained.

unless i move up there.
    hmmmm
    There's a couple of houses for sale a short walk from my place

Images

There's a couple of houses for sale a short walk from my place
    i have tought many times about making the move, and now that the kids are grown, theres nothing holding me back.
    except earning a living
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 08-26-2013 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1521283

unless i move up there.
    hmmmm
    GM dealerships everywhere

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    thought of that. the slick nyer or the good old boy whos native to the area and has worked there for 25 years,and who you were referred to by 10 of your friends?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1521392
    thought of that. the slick nyer or the good old boy whos native to the area and has worked there for 25 years,and who you were referred to by 10 of your friends?
    Manchester is only 57 minutes to the Whites. It's just dirty enough for a New Yorker to feel at home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty:1521397
    Manchester is only 57 minutes to the Whites. It's just dirty enough for a New Yorker to feel at home.
    what about the school systems

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1521403
    Your too old

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty:1521410
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1521403
    Your too old
    but I haven't grown up yet

Images

Congrats, Slo. That's some awesome hiking. Looking forward to my first venture in the No. Presies - first of many, with any luck.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

school systems in Manch-vegas can't be any worse than the ones in dirty NY :P

(not that I have any clue though to where in NY you are.. just couldnt resist posting...)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak:1521480
    school systems in Manch-vegas can't be any worse than the ones in dirty NY :P

(not that I have any clue though to where in NY you are.. just couldnt resist posting...)
    I really don't care about the school systems. I would move there if I could find work. I've been in love with the White Mountains for a very very long time

Images

I really don't care about the school systems. I would move there if I could find work. I've been in love with the White Mountains for a very very long time
    living up here close to the Whites is awesome! We're about an hour to two hours from them, depending on the area you want to go to, but I'd love to live even closer....some day maybe I'll have cabin up those north woods, here's to dreaming

That's fantastic Slo! I didn't even know such a designation existed. I have covered most of the major routes, but I suspect there are quite a few stretches I haven't hit given your description. E.g., I have only been up through King's Ravine once, and it was awesome: very rugged, lots of snow and ice patches shaded by the granite late into the season, and some very tight squeezes.

Given that the RMC occupies what I consider the most beautiful place on earth, I am going have to look into this.

++ New Posts ++