WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Oh I don't know. I tend to think hicks know more about music...

Hip hop artist = not hicks

Various early 20th cent southern hicks = finest musicians ever produced.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The OP posted this and hasn't been back to the site since. He really isn't interested in any of these 105 replies.
    I think this stopped being about the OP's Q about half-way throw page 1.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I think this stopped being about the OP's Q about half-way throw page 1.
    So thow it onto the 'Humor' forum - it's funnier than some of the stuff that's been thrown there already!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you really wanted to be alone, fly you & yer pack to the High Sierras then travel "off trail' cross country, fish, bounce out of the woods for a resupply here & there then dig back in . What a Crazy Amazing Place to disappear for a few months!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    you should hang out with more thru hikers; throw hikers are always throwing around slang and talking stupid. They throw high fives, and hellos around like crazy. Stupid chatty jerks. They all throw in together like the college aged lost souls they are to split a cheap life lesson on the trail. They have fun, hike their hike, see some stuff, and generally throw down a pretty good trip.

Thru hikers generally hike the trail because they enjoy it- because the at is one of the prettiest, bestest, cooliest places on the planet. Sure there are people on it, seeing as 2/3rds of the nations people live fairly close to it and all. But thru-hikers don't let things like that bother them- they just accept them as part of the trail. Some folks travel in the winter, some walk offseason, silly folks walk in the wrong direction, some walk at night, some don't stay in shelters. Despite the fact that few books touch on the subject, you can ignore the carnival barkers encountered at every road crossing encouraging you to leave the peace of the woods and go to town for drinking and whoring.

Some thru-hikers are just walking in the woods. Most thru-hikers read books, most thru hikers understand the books don't always apply to them. Many thru-hikers understand that any type of hiker encountered online isn't representative of any hiker really. If you're not feeling social, that's okay, but probably not best to share that in a social setting- kinda makes me throw up a little on my keyboard personally.
    completely agree with bill on this> well said brother!
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Images

[QUOTE=Marta;1521229]Uh oh....

To the OP's statements:

Hiking the AT is completely optional. No one is required to do it.

If you think that it is easy because several thousand people have done it, you are wrong. It is physically challenging to cover that many miles on foot, and it is mentally challenging to keep at the task for long enough to complete it.

Want to make it more difficult? Do what I did, loose your damn glasses on a section hike! LOL. I just came back from ten days in Maine, had an awesome 100 mile wilderness experience in less than that; got annoyed at all the 'connected' people and their electronics (one a hole had a kindle fire in the shelter). In that case, move on and tent. You're carrying all you need to survive right? Plenty of open space and go SOBO like Just Bill says in off season. Anyway, this is a useless post now since some baby, the OP, was crying about not manning up to the deed. Oh, get really bad blisters too. I need my glasses for distance, made seeing the next blaze an amazing feet in itself! LOL. Ugh!
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    See there. And you thought I was just some hick.
    You're not?

Are you all still throwing this thread around?
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    got annoyed at all the 'connected' people and their electronics (one a hole had a kindle fire in the shelter).
    Thats no different than somebody reading a paperback with a headlamp.

If that bothers you -- and there is a whole lot worse crap that that in shelters -- you should tent.

If that bothers you -- and there is a whole lot worse crap that that in shelters -- you should tent.
    Agree 100%. My wife reads in bed w/a Nook. Much less annoying to me than a book/booklight combo when I'm trying to sleep.

My head hurts trying to figure this out, you don’t want to be around people, you won’t quit your job, you have to be fired, you don’t want to interact with any social aspects of hiking the AT, but if you see people they shouldn’t be the ones you just saw, you don’t want a trail name, and you don’t want to be part of; God forbid ,something a Women has done, and you want to do something no one else has done but will not have learned anything about yourself. So why did you post this so more than a thousand hikers could see it ?
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Images

he's passive suicidal !
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I can see how it would be tough for him to keep a job having to work around people, and unfortunately there aren't many jobs that don't involve others.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Are you all still throwing this thread around?

Seriously - throw me a bone... $1 million dollars....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

not true at all Max Patch. It isn't the same as someone reading a book with a head lamp. Books don't have noise. Books don't have moving figures; and it gets so quiet that the smallest things can be heard; even ear plugs. Plus, etiquette in shelters depicts limited head lamp use. Etiquette on the AT has changed drastically since my 2000 thru hike. When people didn't go with the flow of others then, i.e., limited use of volume on ear plugs and limited use of lamps, they would tent. A lot of you people are oblivious of other people's environments that are connected. Too many people are all about 'them' with the 'I' mentality; whereas, when a person is backpacking there is a complete connection of 'us' and not the singular person and everything being about them. With the use of the kindle fire it was uncalled for. Many go in the woods to disconnect and this is a complete intrusion on the majority.

~ John Muir ~

Journal Entries
    Images

If the OP is serious, he may want to study this Amazing dude, Dick Proenneke living in the Alaska wilderness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
    , !!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

The Sierra High Route is what you seek.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    If the OP is serious, he may want to study this Amazing dude, [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]Dick Proenneke living in the Alaska wilderness
    One of my favorite books is his:
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilde.../dp/0882405136

There's a followup book that I haven't read yet that I really should.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    If the OP is serious,
    What do you think?

Thread started by OP: Started by ekih, 08-26-2013 03:34

Last activity per OP profile: 08-26-2013 03:34

Images

What do you think?

Thread started by OP: Started by ekih, 08-26-2013 03:34

Last activity per OP profile: 08-26-2013 03:34
    And yet........the thread lives on and on and........................................

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++