WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sleeping in car allowed at Mt. Rogers TH ?

I posted this in the Grayson Highlands section but I don't think that gets a lot of traffic so I'm posting here as well.

My friend and I will be hiking around Mt. Rogers this weekend, but we will arrive quite late (probably midnight or so) and thus the Grindstone campround is not an option because they say they close their gates at 10pm. Can we just park at the trail head and sleep in the car? Is this legal?

Thanks,

Matt

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

If you are speaking of the Mt. Rogers Headquarters parking lot, they close their gates while it is still daylight. Many people park their cars on a pull off across the street on VA 16. It would get noisy about 3:00 AM as many people drive to And you would have to leave your car there for the duration of your hike if you did not want to wait until the gates open again.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Thinking further, you could probably park your car safely across VA 16 from Mt. Rogers Headquarters, get your gear, and hike 1/10 mile south to Partnership Shelter and from there head south.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Are you asking about a specific TH or parking lot?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Are you asking about a specific TH or parking lot?
    The Mt. Rogers TH near the Grindstone campground...but really any TH or parking lot. We were just wondering if it's legal to sleep in your car prehike/trip.

There is overnight parking just past Grindstone where the AT crosses the road. There are fire rings just off of the parking area. I wouldn't want to leave my car there long term, but it solves your problem of getting there late. You could park at Grindstone when you get up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    There is overnight parking just past Grindstone where the AT crosses the road. There are fire rings just off of the parking area. I wouldn't want to leave my car there long term, but it solves your problem of getting there late. You could park at Grindstone when you get up.
    Perfect, thank you!

If you are coming from Damascus on 603 the parking area is on the right. I can't remember if there is a sign. If you pass the horse camp on the left you went too far.

Another option if you have a vehicle with a little clearance (what I would do) would be to drive up FS 613 to Scales. Then you are there.

I agree, camp. I always get miserable sleep in a car. This include the few times I've been woken up by police as they thought I was a vagrant. For some odd reason sleeping on the ground is less suspicious than sleeping in a car...

Images

Another option if you have a vehicle with a little clearance (what I would do) would be to drive up FS 613 to Scales. Then you are there.
    I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. Yes we will be coming from Damascus. Are you referring to another way to get to Grindstone other than 58/603?

Quote Originally Posted by mts4602 View Post
    I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. Yes we will be coming from Damascus. Are you referring to another way to get to Grindstone other than 58/603?
    No. Scales is a gap up in the highlands that you can drive to.

You should have the Trails Illustrated map of the area. Find the Scales between Wise and Old Orchard shelters. Scales is a fenced in high grassy area that some of the horse concessions run out of and where people can drive up to access the highlands. Close water source, mowed lawn, caretaker sometimes there, trash can, and the tah mahal of a pit toilet. It is accessed by vehicle using FS 613 --a dirt road about 4-5 miles long. FS 613 is on the map just east of Fox Creek campground. If you have the clearance of a Subaru Forester you can go up the road. It is safe parking and puts you right in the middle of the highlands.

. Scales is a fenced in high grassy area that some of the horse concessions run out of .
    there is no "horse concession" up there. the VA Highlands horse trail happens to pass by the Scales

??? Which Scales are you talking about? Trail guides drive or ride up there all the time to meet clients and often stay overnight. So I'd say they run horse concessions out of there. Or at least horse processions. Just making a confession.

Images

No. Scales is a gap up in the highlands that you can drive to.

You should have the Trails Illustrated map of the area. Find the Scales between Wise and Old Orchard shelters. Scales is a fenced in high grassy area that some of the horse concessions run out of and where people can drive up to access the highlands. Close water source, mowed lawn, caretaker sometimes there, trash can, and the tah mahal of a pit toilet. It is accessed by vehicle using FS 613 --a dirt road about 4-5 miles long. FS 613 is on the map just east of Fox Creek campground. If you have the clearance of a Subaru Forester you can go up the road. It is safe parking and puts you right in the middle of the highlands.
    Yeah once I got the trail map out it was pretty easy to find. We've got a Honda CRV and Subaru Forester so we should be good. Thanks for the help!

??? Which Scales are you talking about? Trail guides drive or ride up there all the time to meet clients and often stay overnight. So I'd say they run horse concessions out of there. Or at least horse processions. Just making a confession.
    the only Scales in the highlands. no horses are allowed in there

Quote Originally Posted by mts4602 View Post
    Yeah once I got the trail map out it was pretty easy to find. We've got a Honda CRV and Subaru Forester so we should be good. Thanks for the help!

Have a great trip. Those vehicles will be fine for FS 613. Blueberries will be in. For my part I will be hanging out in the Roan or Max Patch area.

Images

Ok last question. What do you think is a better trail in terms of views and overall quality...taking the AT from Scales to Rhododendron Gap or taking the Crest Trail to Rhododendron Gap?

I know the AT is longer. I had originally found a loop online using the Crest Trail but noticed it could just as easily be done with the AT as well.

Its all good. The Crest Trail is a rocky horse trail and not much fun especially in the sun. The Pine Mt. Trail is a better choice. Bushwacking between the two is an option as well I do that often. You would have to try hard to get lost up there because you can see mostly everything. The AT has much more varied terrain. Depends what you want, they are equally pleasurable to me. Take Pine Mt. (the old AT by the way) to get to a place quickly then day hike around, or take in more in terms of variety and spend more time hiking on the AT. There are some interesting boulder fields and squeezes if you take the AT and over on the Wilburn Ridge you can take different trail or go cross country. When you get up to Scales you will be able to see the where you are going and decide.
    Last edited by Mr. Bumpy; 08-28-2013 at 13:15.

Images

Just don't park at Elk Gardens. Had my windows busted out twice during college at that lot. Meth is a hell of a drug.

++ New Posts ++