WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Not to be picky, but discussions of committing illegal acts violate the WB User Agreement--

Rain Man.
    You must be on the prosecuting side of the law. Or, a very shrewd criminal defense attorney possibly drumming up another client by saying I told you so as the poster you are addressing walks into your office.

I think the trail guide lists the campsite that noted as the last designated one (heading North East) before the "no camp zone". Sloan, as far as I can tell from the guide, is fair game LNT camping. I don't expect to camp anywhere in that stretch anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

There are nice established camping areas before and after Whitewater Falls. They are listed on the FHT map. One will be near Round Mt Gap. This one is located on the Upper Whitewater Falls Trail Access spur trail on the west side of the river. The other, is near the Lower Whitewater Falls Overlook(LWFO) spur on the east side of the river. Both worthy flat sites w/ nearby water sources. On the LWFO spur is a nice deck overlooking Lower Whitewater Falls. Great view especially in the Fall. I've been there three times and have yet to see anyone.

Images

I was above Sloan's Bridge two days ago warming up for a trip to the 100 mile wilderness next week. Tons of good drinking water everywhere this year and camping on Grassy Knob is a good choice or Like Dogwood says, Round Mt. Gap. Tho there are no fire rings.. thassa joke. . What's your itinerary?
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

[QUOTE=Dogwood;1522956]There are nice established camping areas before and after Whitewater Falls. QUOTE]

I really liked the section along the river below the falls, wish I'd had my turkey call, they were all around but didn't come into camp. BTW, some of those bridges are like glass if wet, watch your step.

Itinerary (for as long as it lasts) has me staying in the camp near lower falls/bad creek. should hike thru the no camping area in the am or early afternoon. will prolly do a side trip from there to the lower falls overlook. Hope to make Burrells Ford the next night for a side trip to Kings Creek. The side trips will depend on my ability to get up out of my hammock after hiking all day. HA!

Thanks drybones. I hike in trail runners... not the best traction when it gets slippery but I like the light weight. I'll be careful.

Images

Left yet? There's a great campsite along the river at the top of the upper falls, and an even better one across the river about a tenth of a mile up from the falls on the other side of the river from the FHT spur access to Hwy 281 north of the Whitewater Falls parking area, just south of the Hwy 281 bridge over the river. I have the map at home and recall there was an exploded inset of that area. I could only find the following online... http://www.foothillstrail.org/upload...Proof%2074.pdf

Let me know if you're interested in knowing more details on the site that is in between the rectangular overlook on this illustration and the spur access that should be on your map.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

[QUOTE=Drybones;1523066]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There are nice established camping areas before and after Whitewater Falls. QUOTE]

I really liked the section along the river below the falls, wish I'd had my turkey call, they were all around but didn't come into camp. BTW, some of those bridges are like glass if wet, watch your step.
    I hesitate to offer info on all the wildlife and plants I notice and where I noticed them anymore as it seems shortly after I reveal this info the plants have been illegally harvested(such as rare orchids, ginseng, ramps, Indian Cucumber, etc) or the animals are shot, trapped, hunted, or molested to the pt they leave. This is a HUGE problem in Hawaii. As a result, it's becoming harder to find these largely untrampled by human locations. I'm sometimes better off keeping my mouth shut. I know some would agree with that.

Images

[QUOTE=Dogwood;1526699]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm sometimes better off keeping my mouth shut. I know some would agree with that.
    Ooh ooh , I get first dibs on this.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

[QUOTE=johnnybgood;1526719]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Ooh ooh , I get first dibs on this.
    johnnybgood...where did you find this quote by me? I don't recall ever making this statement and searched back thru the postings to see if maybe I'd had one bourbon too many one night, couldn't find it...what's up?

I'm heading out of Tampa tomorrow at about luch-time... sneaking out of work.

I think I noted that campsite above the falls. Is it the one an Eagle scout built and has charcoal grills? If I can make the miles, It would be a great site (nite 3 possibly?). If I end up camping there I can make a long hike (but mostly downhill) from there to Licklog. I've camped there before. It is very nice and makes a short last day's hike to Oconee.

Images

Have a good hike!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by damifino View Post
    I'm heading out of Tampa tomorrow at about luch-time... sneaking out of work.

I think I noted that campsite above the falls. Is it the one an Eagle scout built and has charcoal grills? If I can make the miles, It would be a great site (nite 3 possibly?). If I end up camping there I can make a long hike (but mostly downhill) from there to Licklog. I've camped there before. It is very nice and makes a short last day's hike to Oconee.
    Sorry if I missed you. No, but that sounds nice. The big one I'm thinking of is up where the river doglegs just before the upper falls. If you take that FHT spur and go across the street and find the trail, it will lead you down to an easy cross of the river to the site. If you don't want to cross the river, you can go right at that spot to the aforementioned trail that goes to the top of the falls and continues to the overlook and parking lot.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I would recommend a night at Licklog(Bartram Tr junction, Licklog Falls is right at the large flat camping area, easy short hike from here to Oconnee SP, don't miss the fire tower in route from here to O SP) or on the Chatooga River. Lots of nice campsites on the river(w/ multiple nice fishing holes!). Would also recommend the Fork Mt/Ellicott Rock alternate from Sloan Bridge(look for the somewhat hidden TH sign) to the Chatooga River so you can hike more miles along the river but you will not go by the fish hatchery if taking this alternate so take that into consideration if the hatchery side trip is part of your FT hike. I've done it both ways and unless I'm going to the hatchery much prefer the scenery along the river.

The FT map and FT Guidebook both, put out by the FT Conference, note and describe this alternate.

Back home in Tampa. Had to bail after 3 days because of the proverbial hiker's downhill knee syndrome. Did make about about 50 trail miles. Bugged out at Whitewater. Had a great 3 days, albeit very painful the last day and a half. I'll try to post a report with pics later tonite.

Posted a Picture / Trip Report thread on Hammock Forums:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80173

I thru-hiked the Foot hills Trail last summer. Sorry so late in this thread/discussion. Yes there are trash cans and there is electrical power outlet in the bathroom at white water falls. I got held up there in a torrential down pour. I hiked it the week of June 9-13 and had a great hike. Hiked from Table Rock to Oconee. In my opinion, the FT and all the trail maintainers/ volunteers do not get the credit they richly deserve, so Hats off to them!
    Here is my link if you want to be bored:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/soleful...7630018807070/

Thanks for the link soleful, I'm planning on hiking it in November.q

Winger I did part of this trail a couple of weekends ago, if you take the spur to kings creek falls. There is a trail that takes you to the top of the falls across the creek at the end of the spur. If you go halfway up this sketchy trail, you may be able to find my knife that that trail claimed. Have fun it's a pretty trail.
    "Remember that chap? Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++