WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Do you use a watch when hiking?

I never used to use a watch while on the trail because I saw it as my opportunity to get away from structured time. But, one time I was dropped off a river trip to hike out of the canyon during what we thought was mid-morning on a grey March day. It turned out to be 3:00 and I didn't quite make it out of the canyon as planned. Wish I had a watch then but still think I would leave it behind and try to keep better track of time. How do you keep track of time on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by susiecruise View Post
    I never used to use a watch while on the trail because I saw it as my opportunity to get away from structured time. But, one time I was dropped off a river trip to hike out of the canyon during what we thought was mid-morning on a grey March day. It turned out to be 3:00 and I didn't quite make it out of the canyon as planned. Wish I had a watch then but still think I would leave it behind and try to keep better track of time. How do you keep track of time on the trail?
    I use a watch to time my alcohol stove, to see if it is time for supper, and to see if I am getting up too late. Other than that it has no use for me. I get up early, set reasonable distance goals, and always finish hiking in the early afternoon. I take my time, do Blue Blazes to vistas, and relax. Having a relaxed and reasonable distance builds buffers into the schedule in case of bad estimates. Hiking by a timer would drive me foolisher.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like to take along a GPS on my hikes. If I NEED to know the time, one of the GPS screens can show it to me.

Images

If I didnt have a watch Id sleep til noon and never get anywhere...Its my kick in the butt to move faster, or know I can take my time

Images

I wear one all the time, hiking or not.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Do you use a watch when hiking?

Absolutely! A watch, compass, altimeter, temp, barometer, date, etc watch! The uses and functions are extremely useful. I use all these functions regularly.

Knowing your pace, where you are, where you want to be, weather, etc can be extremely helpful(and necessary) in long distance backpacking.

I wear one.

You can always tell which hikers are out in the woods, as "an opportunity to get away from structured time" by not wearing a watch. The first thing they ask you when they see you are are wearing one is "do you know what time it is?"

I wear a watch so I don't have to think about what time it might be, by sun location etc. But I don't stress over the time UNLESS we are behind schedule to get to somewhere before dark. If we get to a place with a nice view at 11 and the kids want to stop for lunch, we stop for lunch. I don't say, "it is only 11 we need to wait 'til noon" or any nonsense like that. But I typically want to make sure we make camp or get back to the car by dark and a watch helps with that.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

No I don't bother with a watch, i get up when it's daylight and go to bed when it gets dark, I eat when i am hungry, and it doesn't matter what time it is in between.

I always wear a watch and almost always wear my Fitbit, which tracks mileage. I use both sometimes on unfamiliar trails to gauge where I am on a map and how far I can go before sunset. If I am using a good topo map, the mileage becomes less important, but on more basic maps, it's been very helpful.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I suspect this is going to be another one of those threads with opinions all over the place. The biggest lesson I learned about hiking the "right way" is that the "right way" is the way that works for you. There are very few methods that work well for everyone. I think a watch ruins the experience. Another will think it is a vital piece of safety equipment. Who is right? With proper planning, they both are. However, neither would be right for the other guy. If you need a watch to keep you from hiking in the dark, you better take one. I am up at 5, on the trail by 6:30, and in to camp at an average of 3. No watch needed for me. If you can't get on the trail before noon and have to worry about getting to camp before dark, you better have a watch. Decide what is best for you and ignore the noise.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Absolutely!

On day hikes in the winter when it gets dark at 6:00 and I start at 12:00 - I know I need to turn around about 3:00.

On long distance hikes you're at a shelter late afternoon/early evening. You check your Guidebook and see that there is a great camping spot on a creek 8 miles away. Can you get there before dark? If you have a watch you'll know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I suspect this is going to be another one of those threads with opinions all over the place.
    Or in other words, a typical thread.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Absolutely!

On day hikes in the winter when it gets dark at 6:00 and I start at 12:00 - I know I need to turn around about 3:00.

On long distance hikes you're at a shelter late afternoon/early evening. You check your Guidebook and see that there is a great camping spot on a creek 8 miles away. Can you get there before dark? If you have a watch you'll know the answer.
    MP makes a great point. I should clarify my watch usage. I do not use one while hiking. I do have a watch with me in my pocket and I listed 3 times I use a one. MP just reminded me of a 4th time I use a watch: Assessing if I want to travel further when I am to my destination very early.

You got it. It is good therapy for me. I have OCD. I am always looking for the best or right way to do things. Hiking is not that way. HYOH is not just a cliché.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Yes

I wear a Suunto Core with the altimeter, barometer, temp, compass, etc. Most of the time, I tell time by the position of the sun in the sky or time snacks/lunch to occur at certain waypoints in the day. But since I'm always hiking with a group and our tummies don't all work on the same schedule, I'll sometimes check it to guestimate pace and try to take a swag at a nice place to stop. It's also my wake up call in the morning on big days when we need to get out earlier than our bodies would like to in order to make it to our destination, especially when that destination has a mail drop and or adult beverages, pizza and a mattress!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am up at 5, on the trail by 6:30, and in to camp at an average of 3. No watch needed for me.
    How do you know this if you don't have a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    How do you know this if you don't have a watch?
    Read all the posts. I do not use one while hiking. I use one when I am not hiking (timing alcohol stove, seeing if I am up too late, and seeing if it is supper time). I carry one, but do not use it while hiking. That was the text of the OP question. Do you use a watch while hiking? No, I do not. I come into camp, sit down, and at some point check the time to see when supper should be started. MP reminded me a 4th usage. If it is only 1, I might press on.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-27-2013 at 14:44.

Images

ive always worn a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ive always worn a watch.
    Okay, but do you use it?

My altimeter, compass, barometer, etc watch is obviously not just about telling time. AND, most importantly does not determne my hikimg experience or the structuring of my hike - I do! It's just a tool. You don't have to be beholdened or addicted to the tool!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++