WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp size to cover shelter doors???

I am planning two multi-day trips on the AT through the smokies during late December and early January. I am planning on staying at the shelters however the downside of the shelters in the area are almost all are at high elevation which means cold and wind. I have read about folks hanging a tarp across the open side to block out wind and get a possible 10 degree increase from outside temps. My question is what size tarp does this require? In one of the posts it said a 10x30 but the shelters i have stayed in i think a 10x20 would suffice. Thoughts or other ideas?

P.S. If anyone would like to join on these cold weather trips i would be glad to have some company. It's hard to find folks that wanna be cold haha. Just pm me if interested.

Thanks

Images

You don't need to bring one.....

They all have tarps hung from the rafters at the entrance......

They get rolled up in the summer and depending upon weather, rolled down as needed...

Most also have rocks to provide anchor points to help close off the shelter...

Oh well that's simple enough haha.. I stayed at Mt. Collins shelter over the summer so i guess i just missed it. Thanks TNhiker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

They get rolled up in the summer and depending upon weather, rolled down as needed...

I don't know when or where you hiked on the AT. I have hiked on the AT for around 3,000 miles over the last 15 years and visited many shelters. I have never seen a tarp like you described.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    I don't know when or where you hiked on the AT. I have hiked on the AT for around 3,000 miles over the last 15 years and visited many shelters. I have never seen a tarp like you described.
    II have never seen any tarps hung either. hmm

Every AT shelter I've been to in the Smokies during the spring has had tarps across the front, with the exception of Davenport gap shelter, which doesn't need one. I've seen a few shelters here and there with tarps outside of the Smokies. Granted it's rare but does happen.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Tarps are put up at all the AT Shelters in the Smokies and at the Mt LeConte shelter during the winter months. The tarps are put up in early-mid November and taken down by early May. Tarps are stored in the large metal tool boxes at each of the shelters over the summer and need replacing on a 2-3 year cycle, depending on the location and the severity of winds in the winter and spring.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

with the exception of Davenport gap shelter, which doesn't need one

davenport had one last winter when i stayed there.....

I don't know when or where you hiked on the AT. I have hiked on the AT for around 3,000 miles over the last 15 years and visited many shelters

you musta missed the section of the AT that ran through the smokies......

see all the above posts, thank you very much....

I've seen tarps hung on the front of other shelters in Georgia and in NC. Sometimes they are folded up and stored under the shelter when not needed. I just assumed some section hiker hauled it in and left them there for use by others.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

In New York's state forests, almost all the lean-tos are 12 by 8 feet. Tarps are not provided, but in winter many hikers bring their own tarps to cover the front openings. It's lawful to tie tarps in place, but not to nail them. Obviously, the long dimension of the tarp needs to be at least the width of the opening.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

In Pa., BMECC and some other maintaining clubs try to discourage this practice for one simple reason: squatters! The more comfortable a shelter is for "the unprepared", the more likely it is that the location will become a "squatter's haven". Over the years, in all seasons, we have had problems with tarps, carpeting, furniture, and equipment appearing at various shelters and being "abandoned" at the site - waiting for its "owner" to return to use it again and again during extended stays. We discourage leaving food for the same reason. (Just sayin'....)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

Woah, that would have been nice. Never seen that either. :/

I was backpacking in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park Nov '14 and both the Spence Field and Russell Field shelters had tarps (pic below).

SpruceField.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    carpeting
    carpeting?!?

Images

Actually I have come across the occasional tarp obviously left by weekenders or some such. Pretty rare though and not something to be counted on. Also a tarp large enough to enclose the opening of a typical shelter would be pretty big and heavy and quite a project to put up and take down. A four season tent would be lighter, more weatherproof and easier to deal with.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Tarps are put every year In the smokies

++ New Posts ++