WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PA- Swatara Gap to Clarks Valley

My mom is section hiking Swatara Gat to Clarks Valley (16.4 miles) and has an old map and new hiker going with her. Is there any way to break up that section with road crossings, slack pack, etc? Her older map doesn't seem to indicate it can be broken up.

Images

There is a rail trail that passes through Rausch Gap. the trail from Rausch Gap to the Trailhead on Goldmine Road is a perfectly flat, very nice 3-4 miles. That will be the only breaking up I know of.

I had that same problem while out-and-back dayhiking. I hiked from Clarks Valley Road (PA325) to Yellow Springs Village site (6.7 miles x 2 = 13.4 miles). Previously, I had hiked from PA443 parking lot to Rausch Gap Shelter (4.7 miles x 2 = 9.4 miles) on one day, and on another day a shorter hike from PA443 parking lot to PA72 (1.4 miles x 2 = 2.8 miles). However, that left out the middle portion from Rausch Gap Shelter to Yellow Springs Village (4.6 miles) with no easy access point. As Malto pointed out, there is a rail trail from Gold Mine Road. Thus, I loaded up an old bicycle, drove to the rail trail parking lot, pedaled the 3 level miles to where the AT crosses the rail trail, hiked up to Rausch Gap, stashed the bike, hiked (4.6 miles x 2 = 9.2 miles) to Yellow Springs Village and back to Rausch Gap, and pedaled 3 miles back to my car. I was beat, but not beaten. For directions and parking info, check out http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Default PA- Swatara Gap to Clarks Valley

Watch out if the map is too old it may not show a climb of another peak of Second Mtn. The 1996ish version color map showed a "future relocation" that was NOT built as shown. Correct map showing extra distance and climb would be 2004 or later.
    Either color map would show a 4wd road to Cold Spring thru Ft Indiantown Gap. If the hiker is willing to brave the rutted road thru the military base and an extra 3/4 mile side trail up Sharp Mtn it is another way to break up the section. FTIG reserves the right to close the road for artillery practice.

Thanks for the info.

++ New Posts ++