WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Just when I thought I was ready

Just when I thought i had a decent gear list, I started reading about hammock hanging. it seems to me that this may be the way to go on my upcoming thru hike. I am looking for any thoughts on quilts. I am not able at this time to make my own gear so that is out of the question. I decided to go with the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.1 and a Cuban fiber tarp from Hammock Gear.com.

I know by reading hammockforums.net that many people get their quilts from Jacks R Better. I was looking at the mamba from Warbonnet for a top quilt and the three season Yeti for a bottom quilt. Any recommendations will be seriously considered. Thanks in advance,
    Blackheart

I have the same hammock. I use my sleeping bag which is Western Mountaineering Ultralite, for my top quilt. I bought a 20* Phoenix underquilt from hammockgear. I recently went on a 2 week camping trip in Michigan. The lows at night were in the low 40's. I had some cold spots on my back but was mostly warm on top. When I got home I contacted Adam and hammockgear and we talked a long time on the phone. I am a very cold sleeper (obviously) so I have sent my 20* back for a 0* Phoenix. He was so helpful and friendly and seemed to really want to solve my problem. He is in the process of making my new quilt with the specs we decided on. I have the Warbonnet Superfly for my tarp and it worked great. We had several hard rains and not a drop came in. I am also planning a thru-hike for next spring and that's the setup I'm planning on using. This was my first time sleeping in my new hammock and I've never slept better in my life. I've never been a back sleeper, always my side or stomach. But there's something about sleeping in a hammock that is so different and so comfortable. I've always had a terrible time tenting and sleeping on the ground. The hammock has solved that for me. Good luck with your search and I hope you have as good sleep as I had. See ya on the trail next year!

My son took the Warbonnet Mamba on this thru last year, but as a ground dweller. I have used it a few times also, and it is indeed a fine piece of gear.

If I were buying today, I would also take a look at http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/. Their RevX quilts are a great value and have received rave reviews here.

I have the same hammock. for 3-season, I have a WB Yeti UQ and a Mamba TQ. Very nice. I have winter gear from Warbonnet also. Kept me warm (with a blue-wal-mart pad) down to 18 degrees.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

i have 5 JRB quilts and a Tewa 3/4. other companies have good quilts also. what temps are you trying to get down to? i am assuming you will be carrying a pad since you bought the double layer.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

All men die, but not all men live

May I be so bold as to recommend a sleeping pad? I use one instead of a quilt. The pad has heat reflecting properties and is very light. It keeps the sides of the hammock from squeezing my shoulders. Also, if you so choose, one can simply take the pad and sleep in a shelter if the weather is not cooperating. I like it when my gear has multiple uses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
    May I be so bold as to recommend a sleeping pad? I use one instead of a quilt. The pad has heat reflecting properties and is very light. It keeps the sides of the hammock from squeezing my shoulders. Also, if you so choose, one can simply take the pad and sleep in a shelter if the weather is not cooperating. I like it when my gear has multiple uses.
    but what temps will a pad get you down to?? have had a quilt to -10°
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Yah, Adam at hammockgear hooked it up while I was thruhiking. I have the phoenix 40 UQ and LQ. I can sleep comfortably with these until it hits about 30deg. I cannibalized a thermarest pad and used that as supplemental insulation down to 10deg on the trail. I can't say it's any better or worse then any other quilt, from any other company, but I would say Adam offers excellent customer service and the temp ratings seem to be accurate.

Journal Entries

I am trying to be comfortable for a mid March to April 1st start date in Georgia. I went with the double layer for the possibility of using just a pad during the summer months. This is still open for discussion. So far everything I read points to a comfortable night's sleep while still keeping warm. It has been pointed out that hammock setups may weigh more than a tarp-tent type setup. As soon as I decide on the quilts/pad, I will list a comparison between the two setups.
    Blackheart

Images

recommend you find a group hammock hang in your area and attend. You will be able to check out a variety of rigs and ask the users detailed ?? as to what works and doesn't.

Underquilts are the way to go as pads are bulky and not as comfortable as UQs.

I use a 1.7 double BB, UQs, TQs (type varies on the weather conditions expected) and a cuben tarp. The Hammock Gear Winter Palace Cuben Tarp .. 12ft weighs in at 8 oz
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

A couple of points:

People's insulation needs are subjective - just depends on whether you're a warm or cold sleeper. One person will freeze using a 20* UQ, and the guy in the next hammock is toasty.

Also, there really is no weight savings using a hammock system. I have a WBBB hammock, a cuben tarp, down TQ and UQ. It's very close in weight to my LightHeart tent, sleeping bag, inflatable pad, etc.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Images

I highly recommend Hammock Gear quilts....that new argon fabric is unbelievable! I bought my wife one...Adam made it a custom size and got it to us in less than a week (in time for our AT section hike). I have JRB quilts and love them, but my next ones will be Hammock Gear.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

lots of people try out hammock and get frustrated as a bit of learning curve...my experience you can pick some really great "pre-owned" bargains that never saw anything other than the back yard...

I happen to dig Hennessey...just used them back in the day and stuck with them....great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
    What pad do you use?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Any recommendations will be seriously considered. Thanks in advance,
    I see you've gotten some very good recommendations. After my own investigation, I recently purchased a top quilt from Paul & Missy McWalters at Underground Quilts in Jackson, Michigan. Paul was extremely patient and helpful in answering my "novice" questions, and they offered QUICK service and more options that some of the other venders.
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/

I took it on a two-week AT section hike last month in New Hampshire and Maine and was very happy with it. My UQs are DIY.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

I agree with you Rain Man and I have been checking out all the suggestions. I still don't know if I am going to start on the ground and switch to the hammock or just hang all the way. i have plenty of time to get out and test gear out first before my thru.
    Blackheart

Make sure your under-quilt is differential cut. I think hammockgear makes excellent under-quilts (I own one). I think a full-length UQ is best. I think a top quilt with an enclosed footbox is best if the temps drop, mainly because it is easier to get into and get your feet/calves comfy. The WB Mamba is a well constructed quilt, but it is designed for hammock use and is lacking stuff (and width) for on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Make sure your under-quilt is differential cut. I think hammockgear makes excellent under-quilts (I own one). I think a full-length UQ is best. I think a top quilt with an enclosed footbox is best if the temps drop, mainly because it is easier to get into and get your feet/calves comfy. The WB Mamba is a well constructed quilt, but it is designed for hammock use and is lacking stuff (and width) for on the ground.
    A Mamba 20F long/wide works fine on the ground. I wouldn't try the regular size, but I'm pretty broad-shouldered and need the extra width.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    A Mamba 20F long/wide works fine on the ground. I wouldn't try the regular size, but I'm pretty broad-shouldered and need the extra width.
    How do you attach it to your pad? What do you do when you roll over?

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    How do you attach it to your pad? What do you do when you roll over?
    It tends to stay on pretty well without it. If it is really cold, you can tie the ribbon straps below the pad, extending them if you need to do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++