WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Backpacker Magazine

I've been subscribing to Backpacker Magazine for a couple years now. If I was a new hiker, I would draw two conclusions about backpacking from their magazine: First, backpacking is extremely expensive; every piece of gear or clothing costs at least $300, regardless of what it is or what it does. Second, backpacking is extremely dangerous; hikers are always getting washed away in floods, struck by lightning, eaten by bears, falling off cliffs, bit by snakes, etc. Their local hike info is good, but they seem beholden to their advertisers at the expense of content. I bet you will never find an DIY alcohol stove article, or supermarket hiker-food article, cuz that might impact their advertisers. I sometimes feel like I'm reading a catalog instead of a hiking magazine. Ultimately, if backpacking is perceived as dangerous and expensive, there will be fewer backpackers. Is there a better magazine out there?

Nope, there isn't a Dirtbagger Magazine. BPer is as good as it gets in print, the articles on BackpackingLight.com are good though.

Images

whiteblaze is unavailable in print

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I stopped my subscrription a few years ago b/c it seemed like every year they would talk about the same things: Do it this way, how to use a compass, first aid, how to stay in shape, avoid this, reading the sky, how to stay dry/warm/cool/positive, etc. For awhile I would simply read it hoping that they featured a new place to go or a trail I've never done. After 15 years or so, it got awfully redundant. A few years back there was a mag called Adventure West, and another called National Geo Adventure, and a 3rd called Outdoor Odysey or something like that. All 3 were good mags, but they have stopped printing them. Those 3 would publish stories c about many things I'd never seen in 15 years of BPers.

The same criiticisms apply, in the same degree, to Outside magazine, and to National Geographic's Acventure Travel, before it folded.BP Mag does have some DIY and self-help info on their website.

Images

their trip reports are now useless unless you use gps.
    no descriptions, only waypoints.
    makes for fascinating reading

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Check out Trailgroove.com

Basically an on-line magazine dedicated to backpacking. "Real world" reviews, gorgeous photography, good tips and excellent writing. Give a look.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Backpacker Magazine has been mediocre for close to twenty years. Most magazines in general are mediocre. The whole thing is designed to facilitate advertisements.

The only great magazine is M.A.D. magazine. What me Worry

Yep, Trail Groove is awesome!

Garlic
    Images

I read it at the library. Then I don't get mad that I subscribe to it, and once in a while find an article that basically says I'm doing something right.

It seems like if they tell you how to lighten your load, it's only so you have more room to buy more expensive stuff. Buy a single-wall tent so you can buy a titanium espresso maker!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags:1524058
    Check out Trailgroove.com

Basically an on-line magazine dedicated to backpacking. "Real world" reviews, gorgeous photography, good tips and excellent writing. Give a look.
    Just subscribed. Thanks looks really good.

You could submit an article, there's a slight chance they'd publish it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

TG looks good, but I want a print magazine. I spend all day looking at puter screens as it is, even though I am a "professional" outdoorsman. Also a print mag reaches out to you when you pull it out of your mailbox. It reminds you that you are not a chairborne ranger, even if you are at that moment. An online mag waits for you to come to it, when you're already in the zone. It lacks the palpability and immediacy of print.

Images

Just signed up for trailgroove. BPL has been a let down since 2011, and is only getting worse. I needed a fresh site and writers. Thanks Mags!

I stopped subscribing when they stopped with the annual gear listing, that was the only reason I subscribed.

Journal Entries

Magazines in the US pretty much exist only to sell advertisements.
    Certainly not to bring you honest and unbiased information.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Magazines in the US pretty much exist only to sell advertisements.
    Certainly not to bring you honest and unbiased information.
    They're in the business to make money, can't blame them for doing whatever it takes to be profitable, trick is to find a business model that works long term.

They must balance between attracting advertisers, and also subscribers to read them, finding the right balance. BP has erred towards the advertisers. Hate to say it, but I won't be renewing. I get better hiking info from Field & Stream.

Funny thing. I just picked up the Sept issue of Backpacker mag today at Barnes and Noble. I don't currently have a subscription. I often try to get what I want out of it, AND I ALWAYS FIND THINGS IN EVERY SINGLE ISSUE THAT INTEREST ME AND CAN MAKE ME A BETTER HIKER, by reading it through at the library or at B & N. I'm ALWAYS getting ideas from BP. I take notes down from every issue. I think BP has done a very good job of expanding their variety of topics, diversity of hikes and hiking locals, and content!

While BP may not always hit every hiker's hot button hiking topics like they would like on a monthly basis, I get tired of the BP naysayers. I seek to find value where others may be missing it when it's right under their noses. I strongly doubt that anyone here knows how to run a national magazine that's issued on a monthly basis. Just as in the TV and radio mediums the print medium often survives not solely on subscriptions but to varying degrees on advertising dollars. We need to remember that. You wouldn't get to watch the Super Bowl unless advertising was involved. Same here. Take that into context when you start bashing BP for supporting its advertisers. And, before you all get on the BP bashing bandwagon glance through some other mags. You'll see much of the same if not more of that catalog experience. I think BP does a good job NOT just catering to its advertisers. IMHO, they've kept well aware of their readership and primarily cater to that side of the biz in putting out a monthly on target with a good variety of backpacking related topics magazine. The hiking content is there if you look for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    I've been subscribing to Backpacker Magazine for a couple years now. If I was a new hiker, I would draw two conclusions about backpacking from their magazine: First, backpacking is extremely expensive; every piece of gear or clothing costs at least $300, regardless of what it is or what it does. Second, backpacking is extremely dangerous; hikers are always getting washed away in floods, struck by lightning, eaten by bears, falling off cliffs, bit by snakes, etc. Their local hike info is good, but they seem beholden to their advertisers at the expense of content. I bet you will never find an DIY alcohol stove article, or supermarket hiker-food article, cuz that might impact their advertisers. I sometimes feel like I'm reading a catalog instead of a hiking magazine. Ultimately, if backpacking is perceived as dangerous and expensive, there will be fewer backpackers. Is there a better magazine out there?
    I think BP has been offering up Survival or countering trail threat topics for some time. It makes sense as SO MANY people are bound up in fear and some of these scenarios are a real concern for some backpackers.

BP's coverage, for the size that it is, in its variety of hiking location info, is very well done! One of the things that I immensely enjoy each month is them telling me about new locations to hike.

In regards to not having articles on DIY alcohol stoves and supermarket hiker-food ideas cuz that might impact their advertisers that is simply not true! For example, within the last few months BP had articles on these topics. Actually, EACH MONTH. they provide DIY gear ideas/fixes/etc and have recipe articles describing how you can go into grocery stores and make your own meals! I think they have done a very good job of expanding their trails food articles and bringing different out of the box trail food ideas to light!

I stopped subscribing when they stopped with the annual gear listing, that was the only reason I subscribed - DryBones

What? BP does a separate gear review issue each yr dedicated to JUST that topic. It's quite comprehensive with new product evaluations, specs, etc. Where I think it lacks, from my perspective, is that it doesn't always go as deeply into the emerging and established UL cottage market as I would personally like. That may be for several reasons ONE of which, admittedly, may be advertising related. They also have monthly gear review bits.

Journal Entries

I used to read a british boating mag, talk about night/day difference with american.
    Real articles, real tests, not afraid to rip a shoddy product to shreds.

American magazines suck up to mfgs, period.

Of course, when you realize who actually owns many of the magazines, you begin to understand. What a tangled web is woven for the consumer
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-03-2013 at 21:35.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++