WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sky Meadows State Park, near Front Royal

This source (http://www.summitpost.org/appalachia...3282#chapter_7) notes that there is AT access from Sky Meadows State Park via a trail. My questions are:
    Is the trail marked? Well marked? That is, as I walk SOBO on the AT from Highway 50, will I know when I come to the Sky Meadows trail?
    The SummitPost source above says it's 2.6 miles from Highway 50 to the Sky Meadows trail. Does that sound right?
    Thanks.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Yes. At least, I think so. Right at the trail junction there is a nice bench seat. Perhaps someone can confirm this as I might be mixing up exactly where in the park I was at the time. I've hiked up to the AT on that trail and passed by it on the AT itself on two different occasions. Either way, it is a beautiful section of trail to walk.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Yes. At least, I think so. Right at the trail junction there is a nice bench seat. Perhaps someone can confirm this as I might be mixing up exactly where in the park I was at the time. I've hiked up to the AT on that trail and passed by it on the AT itself on two different occasions. Either way, it is a beautiful section of trail to walk.
    FarmerChef is correct. As you walk south on the AT the bench will be on your left about 2 miles from Rt. 50. You make a left on the Northridge Trail and this will take you to the State Park. I actually hiked from the park up to the AT and then south to dicks dome on short trip a few weeks ago. It is a nice walk.

Yes, the entrance to the park itself is about 2 miles off of Rt. 50, and the AT is about half a mile from the entrance, so 2.6 miles sounds right on the money. If you're walking SOBO from 50 on the AT, you'll cross a purple-blazed (old Trail) trail (on your right) first. Bypass this trail and keep on the AT until you hit the light blue blazed Ambassador Whitehouse trail on your left. Take this trail and it will lead you into the heart of the park.

It's been a couple years, but the last time I was in Sky Meadows, trails were exceedingly well marked with signposts at all junctures that explained which trail went with what blaze.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Hiked from Sky Meadow St.Park 3 weeks ago so here's what I can tell you.
    There is a sign on the AT at the junction where the other blazed trail intersects on the left. Also was a sign as soon as I stepped on the AT, going nobo anyway, stating that Ashby Gap was 2.9 miles from that point

The trail is 2.1 miles downhill to Sky Meadows , and will come out about 100 ft beyond the parking area at the entrance. Parking fee is $4 daily , paid in advance.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Here are the three signs at the intersection (bench). The third picture is a zoom of the sign in the second picture. Hope this helps.

Va. 55 To Snickers Gap 041.jpgVa. 55 To Snickers Gap 042.jpg Sky Meadows sign.JPG Va. 55 To Snickers Gap 044.jpg

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

A mile or so North of the signs posted above, if you're hiking South there will be a very obvious side trail on your left (Ambassador Whitehouse) that has a picnic table and a bench with a beautiful view about .1 mile from the AT. It might be worth a stop since it's the only wide open view for miles. Very pretty. On a clear day you can see the Dulles airport control tower and Herndon/Reston a bit further away, not to mention a great view at the edge of the VA Piedmont's rolling hills.

++ New Posts ++