WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent Question

I currently own a HS Tarptent, Cloudburst 2 (the old squall). I'm pretty unhappy with the condensation issues I've seen. Solo it is not a problem, but with 2 people and a dog it builds up quick. I've seen this problem in ideal conditions in dry New Mexico regularly.

Now I'm looking to purchase another TT (I'm not COMPLETELY unhappy) for a nobo thru hike of the AT. I like the design, simplicity, and weight of the contrail but am worried I will have condensation issue I see now when the tent is filled to the listed capacity. Then there is the moment DW that looks like the next option. The third, I could stick with the cloudburst for the thru(but then there's no new toy fun).

What are your opinions?

I took my contrail all the way up the trail and the big decider for condensation seems to be whether you leave the beak open or not. Usually even in a small rain I could leave it open, but if the wind starts blowing rain and inevitably changing directions, then you have to seal up the tent and the condensation can get nasty in a hurry.

Obviously where you pitch it matters (if you pitch on a patch of lush grass, nothing will save you from condensation), but I expect you're used to that. Pitched on some leaves, dirt or light grass with the beak open, it should be nice and dry in the morning.

YMMV
    KBO, Ducky

Quote Originally Posted by dmath010 View Post
    I currently own a HS Tarptent, Cloudburst 2 (the old squall). I'm pretty unhappy with the condensation issues I've seen. Solo it is not a problem, but with 2 people and a dog it builds up quick. I've seen this problem in ideal conditions in dry New Mexico regularly.

Now I'm looking to purchase another TT (I'm not COMPLETELY unhappy) for a nobo thru hike of the AT. I like the design, simplicity, and weight of the contrail but am worried I will have condensation issue I see now when the tent is filled to the listed capacity. Then there is the moment DW that looks like the next option. The third, I could stick with the cloudburst for the thru(but then there's no new toy fun).

What are your opinions?
    I have the contrail and have had very minimal condensation issues. I generally (almost always) leave the gront of the tent rolled back and have the ventilation set very high to allow air flow. Its a great tent that I bought used and I will likley buy a brand new one when this one kicks the bucket.

If you're a trekking pole user, I would recommend the Notch over the Contrail for an AT thruhike. The double doors/double wall design offers much better performance and flexibility at the same weight, especially with respect to moisture management. Otherwise the Moment DW uses an arch pole and is heavier but has similar benefits but with the addition of a wider floor/more move around room and 2-stake setup.

-H

I have the Double Rainbow and Notch. If you want a solo tent look at the Notch. The Double Rainbow is okay but seems to have more condensation than the Notch. I dont care what type tent, if it's warmer inside than outside you're going to have condensate, the REI Quater Dome I have has the worst condensation of the tents I own....it's also the smallest and warmest...it's a trade off.

Same as that last guy here (who that ?)

BTW, both the Cloudburst (1 and 2) and the Squall are two person tents.
    Adding a dog can cause more condensation as it would if having another person inside.
    So I would suggest that if wanting to have 2 person plus a dog inside a tent a 3 person tent would work better.

(the Cloudburst 3 would work...)

I was referring to post 4...

Images

Maximizing the height of the Contrail will help with condensation, I have been using Silicone spray and that help lots with any condensation rolling quickly down the inner wall. I had much more trouble with condensation with my Wild Oasis tarp-it gets so bad I really can't use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Garlic
    Images

My Contrail worked fine on my AT hike. I was concerned about the higher humidity in the East. I found that dry camping on ridges, rather than creek valleys, was a good way to avoid condensation. That meant carrying an extra liter of water when looking for a site, but it was worth it.

My Contrail is about worn out, but I keep milking "just one more trip" out of it. I'm tempted by the Moment, but when it comes right down to it I'll probably buy another Contrail. You just can't beat its rugged simplicity, light weight, and lower cost. Nothing ever broke on that tent.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Just a $0.02 add, on my thru I used a cuban fiber tent (z-pack heximid), while my hiking companion for part of the thru used a tarp tent notch (conventional sil-nilon). There was very little issue with condensation, though when there was, or rain, or morning dew, the cuban fiber fabric seemed to hold much less dampness/wetness then the sil-nilon. Putting away her tent while wet seemed a whole lot heavier in water weight then mine. She commented on more then one occasion that I could shake most of the wetness off before packing. All in all I feel that the cuban fiber fabric just does not 'hold' as much dampness as sil-nylon.
    Last edited by Starchild; 09-13-2013 at 11:59.

Yup no question, Cuben does not hold as much water as Silnylon, it's also 3 times the price

q-tip, any idea how much weight the silicon spray added to your Contrail? I would be interested to understand that as well as how much less water weight would be absorbed by the treated tent vs. an un-treated tent. I understand the benefits regarding condensation management and faster drying time, but I'm curious as to the weight trade-offs.

Images

Not a Contrail but I sprayed my 2010 Sub-lite (Silnylon). Weight went up 3.75oz. YMMV

++ New Posts ++