WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Figgy View Post
    Looking forward to see your shelter blogs then, since you will be a couple weeks ahead. I'm leaving on February 16th, and people think I'm crazy.
    Hi Figgy My husband and I are planning on leaving the 16th as well! Maybe we will see you that day

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    In dry conditions, did the spikes make rock scrambles slippery?
    they do the opposite. i don't slip on wet or frosted rocks either. they are in my shoes that i walk my dog with. we have slate sidewalks in town that are like glass when wet. they are also great on wet leaves. i carry a small plastic toy wrench to put them in and out. they are not the same as regular zip screws. harder steel with two sharp chisels on them.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 10-13-2013 at 19:47. Reason: speeling
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are starting around February 15. I don't have too much hiking experience to begin with (just a 4 day trip in NC in July) and a couple of overnights and day hikes. We are planning on testing our fortitude for winter hiking in November up in Georgia. Anyone from around Springer that can give an off the cuff weather forecast for this winter? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by _ciel View Post
    Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are starting around February 15. I don't have too much hiking experience to begin with (just a 4 day trip in NC in July) and a couple of overnights and day hikes. We are planning on testing our fortitude for winter hiking in November up in Georgia. Anyone from around Springer that can give an off the cuff weather forecast for this winter? Thanks!

Hi Ciel,

Looks like we might have a little group going that weekend It's the same for us, unless there's nutso conditions, we'll be leaving that same weekend from Springer. We are doing our winter hikes in Connecticut at the end of November to try out our winter gear. We also have to be back for about mid august. I am a professor and my husband is going back to school for nursing. Let us know how your November shake down goes!

Figgy was you at the REI talk on Wednesday 16th? I seem to remember during introduction someone said their trail name was Figgy. I plan starting 16th with my son but we will be driving up from Texas as I am relocating in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Autummyst View Post
    Hi Ciel,

Looks like we might have a little group going that weekend It's the same for us, unless there's nutso conditions, we'll be leaving that same weekend from Springer. We are doing our winter hikes in Connecticut at the end of November to try out our winter gear. We also have to be back for about mid august. I am a professor and my husband is going back to school for nursing. Let us know how your November shake down goes!

Awesome! I'm glad we will have a little company. I look forward to meeting you all!

You all will be my motivation to get out of my warm sleeping bag on those cold mornings. See you on the trail
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

I hope to, watching the weather.
    Just ignore it

Just booked my flight so I can hit the trail on February, 1.
    Still have to finish my master thesis though :/

Anyway, gotta be cold, rainy and snowy. Love it
    Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGerman View Post
    Just booked my flight so I can hit the trail on February, 1.
    Still have to finish my master thesis though :/

Anyway, gotta be cold, rainy and snowy. Love it
    Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail.
    Good luck with your thesis!!! When I did mine years ago, it was quite the process Are you starting your hike right after you arrive?

I'm halfway through though. Still.. quite a mess

I don't think I will start right after arrival. It's a 10h flight in economy class and i am 6'5"
    Not sure how long it will take until my legs are back to their original length.

Also quite a lot of my gear is at a friends house in Phoenix, AZ. So I need to have it shipped to Atlanta anyways. Will stay in a Hotel for a day or two, relax and check out REI and Walmart. Might take a while though because on your side of the pond everything is at least 3x bigger than in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGerman View Post
    I'm halfway through though. Still.. quite a mess

I don't think I will start right after arrival. It's a 10h flight in economy class and i am 6'5"
    Not sure how long it will take until my legs are back to their original length.

Also quite a lot of my gear is at a friends house in Phoenix, AZ. So I need to have it shipped to Atlanta anyways. Will stay in a Hotel for a day or two, relax and check out REI and Walmart. Might take a while though because on your side of the pond everything is at least 3x bigger than in Germany.
    Ha! It's so true. I lived in South Korea for a year and when I came back to the United States, I couldn't believe how big EVERYTHING was. Size small, for drinks like coffee and such, in the US is equivalent to a regular size in Korea.

Hey guys, I just saw this thread. Im planning to start my through hike in mid February just got save some more money. hopefully I will see some of you guys out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by chasing shadows View Post
    Hey guys, I just saw this thread. Im planning to start my through hike in mid February just got save some more money. hopefully I will see some of you guys out on the trail.
    Hi Chasing How is your gear list coming along for a feb start?

this is what i have so far, i hope to get the weights i am missing i just need to get a new scale since mine died. Gear list

BIG 3:

Tent: fly creek ul2 oles and spikes 1 lbs 2.7 oz, tent body, footprint rain fly 1 lbs 15.3 ozs = 3 lbs 2 ozs
    Pack: gossamer gear gorilla large 28 oz 1 lbs 12 oz( 4lbs 14 oz)
    Sleeping pad:gossamer gear torso pad 4.9 oz (5 lbs 2.9)
    Sleeping bag: stoic vamp 15 degree long 2 lbs 9 oz( 7 lbs. 11.9oz) ]
    Total:7 lbs 11.9 oz

COOKING:
    Spork: snow peak titanium spork: .6 oz
    Pot: snow peak single wall 600 cup: 2.8 oz(2.86 oz)
    Stove: Trangia alcohol stove: 4 oz(6.86 oz)
    Fuel storage: plastic water bottle:.1 oz(6.87 oz)
    Windscreen: planning on making a homemade one.
    Alcohol: 10 oz of heet( 1 lbs .87 oz)
    Total: 8 lbs 12.77 oz

Water system:
    Filter: sawyer squeeze filter: 2.7 oz, all things 6.4 oz( two plastic water bags, towel, syringe and bag) (6.4 0z)
    Bladder: platypus 3L 3.6 oz (10 oz)
    Total: 9 lbs 6.77 oz

Clothes:
    boots: still unsure but hope to pick some soon so i can start to break them in
    Outer layer: Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket 12 oz

Middle layer: Loki Midi Micro Fleece 9 oz(1 lbs 5 oz)
    shirt(s): 2 Nike Legend Dri-FIT Crew T-Shirt weight unknown(1 lbs 5 oz)
    Pants: Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants ~ 12 oz( 2 lbs 1oz)
    Undies: 2 pairs of ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief(4 oz each, 8 oz)(2 lbs 9 oz)
    Socks: 2 pairs of Darn Tough Vermont Men's Merino Wool Boot Full Cushion Socks(4.8 oz each, 9 oz)(3 lbs 2 oz)
    Sock liners: SmartWool Merino Wool Liner Socks weight unknown( 3 lbs 2 oz)
    Head wear: buff weight unknown( 3 lbs 2 oz)
    Hat: wool hat weight unknown ( 3 lbs 2 oz)
    Gaiters: Mountain Laurel Designs SuperLight Gaitor 1.8 oz( 3 lbs 3.8 oz)
    Gloves: not sure which ones i”ll get yet( 3 lbs 3.8 oz)
    Long Underwear: not sure which ones i”ll get yet( 3 lbs 3.8 oz)
    raingear/ pack cover: Packa~13 oz(4 lbs 3.8 oz)
    Total:13 lbs 10.5 oz but there are weights I am missing and I am also unsure of the total weight of the clothes I will be wearing.

MISC.:
    Matches: Storm Proof matches .5 oz( 13 lbs 11oz)
    Headlamp: Petzl Tikka XP 2 Headlamp 3.1 oz with batteries(13 lbs 14.1 oz)
    Lighter: bic lighter .5 oz(13 lbs 14.6 oz)
    First aid:Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight / Watertight .5. 3.68 oz(14 lbs 2 oz
    Camp shoes: Grip Socks 4 oz(14 lbs 6 oz)
    Trecking poles: Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Pole 1 lb 2oz(15 lbs 8 oz)
    Towel: Packtowl Personal Towel weight unknown(15 lbs 8 oz)
    Tape: weight unknown ( 15 lbs 8 oz)
    Bear bag: Pro Bear Bag System 3.2 oz (15 lbs 11.2 oz)

Hygiene:
    Tooth brush
    Toothpaste
    Small amount of concentrated soap
    Chapstick
    Sunblock
    TP
    Bug spray

Total bag weight with the missing weights not counting poles 14 lbs 9.2 oz. I am sure I missed some things but I will do my best to update the list. Im hoping that I can get my pack weight to be around 18 lbs not counting food or water by the time I have everything packed.

Nice Chasing! Thanks for posting what you have so far. I really like to see what others are bringing as I hash out my own gear list. Everything on yours looks pretty solid. For your sleeping pad, what's the r value? I was originally going to bring something similar (my husband as well) and we decided to get a sleeping pad with a higher r value since it'll be chillyyyyyy out.

the r value is 2.27 for that pad. i am planning to test it out in some cold nights this winter to see how it works and if i will need a better pad. i may also buy some padding from gossamer gear and make a pad out of that if i need extra padding. im hoping that the torso pad will be enough since it folds and helps work as a frame for my pack.photo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chasing shadows View Post
    the r value is 2.27 for that pad. i am planning to test it out in some cold nights this winter to see how it works and if i will need a better pad. i may also buy some padding from gossamer gear and make a pad out of that if i need extra padding. im hoping that the torso pad will be enough since it folds and helps work as a frame for my pack.photo.jpg
    That's awesome you've integrated it into your pack. Worst case, you could always bring that extra padding for the first couple of chilly months and then send it home when you don't need it anymore (if you end up needing it).

I did a thru in 2012 and am seriously considering doing it again this year, I started on 2/19. Beating the crowds was definitely a plus, I did it for the solitude plus always having work for stay available in the whites was awesome. The hostels weren't crowded at all either.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by _ciel View Post
    Hi all!

The weather forecast for Feb is that it will be a heckuva lot colder than when you do your shakedown hike in Nov.

Sometime in April for me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++