WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default 2014 Snowbirds. Who's starting 'early' next year?

Thought I'd stick my proverbial finger in the breeze to see who's starting a thru before March 1st next year. My partner and I are shooting for early to mid February. The cold rocks.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

I plan on starting the very beginning of February. I do like hiking in the snow, but I'm a little nervous about this.

I plan on leaving mid February probably around the 16th.

This is a genuine question because I am curious, but why are guys choosing an early spring/late winter start? I have never thru hiked so I am playing around with start dates and will probably start mid April.

Quote Originally Posted by ams212001 View Post
    This is a genuine question because I am curious, but why are guys choosing an early spring/late winter start? I have never thru hiked so I am playing around with start dates and will probably start mid April.
    Relative solitude, greater challenge, bragging rights, AMAZING time to be in the App's, and an excuse to use all of this winter gear laying around.

And so all of the late starters can read our gnarly stories of freak snowstorms in the Smokies, frozen springs, and near hypothermia.

Why are you starting in mid April?
    Last edited by Poedog; 09-12-2013 at 21:06.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

I would like to start my hike-thru in April, but if it is a cruel winter I will try and wait a few more weeks.
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Watch "Winter". Well worth the four minutes of your life.

http://thelongstarttothejourney.com/category/seasons/

And I must congratulate Chris for his finish @ Katahdin on September 5th. What an emotional story.

Not experienced in winter hiking, less chance of severe storms/freezing, less weight to carry for a longer period of time, ability for my body to adjust more easily because of better weather. Lol I feel the AT will be hard enough had any point of the year so I am trying to avoid extra obstacles.

Thank you for your answer! I didn't want to come off rude or as if I had a better answer. Just considering all options.

Not rude at all. Those are all very valid reasons for starting in April, and such is why the brunt of starters will be pushing off then too. You're right, it will be tough enough as it is, without adding extra unfamiliarities into the mix. We are slightly sick that way I guess, we like the punishment.

My son and I plan to start mid February; 15/16th or around that time frame.

You Big Sur Cali types are a riot. Enjoying your chutzpah and winter hiking rocks attitude Poedog but talking about it isn't the same as doing it. Of course you know that though. It's easy to mentally ascend to it from behind a keyboard. Don't be a hoity toity Big Sur woosie when it comes time to walk the talk though. Just keepn it real.

Enjoy the AT. Love that Big Sur area but could do without some of the hoity toity nose in the air vibe I've received when walking into town with a backpack on and a Jarzee slang. $7 for a a reg cheese slice is a bit too steep for me.

I stated Feb 17th this year, saw snow once or twice a week for 7 weeks up through 1st week of April...
    saw 2-3 feet of snow in the smokies early March and on Roan mt Easter sunday (six ft drifts)
    i wasn't looking for extra punishment, I wanted to finish in time to still have some summer fun with my wife and kids...
    Staying ahead of the crowd was a nice bonus, so is having some bad ass "war stories" about a Feb start on a year like this one, it took a LOT of folks out.
    By the time we got north the Feb - early Mar starters that were still walking shared an unspoken bond over the hardships we'd seen in the south

It never made me want to quit, but there were times when I was ready for the day to be over

and one thing to keep in mind...
    If you start early and get a year like 2013, you'd better have your sh&^ wired tight, cause the margin of error can be extremely narrow, and you can find yourself in trouble in a hurry

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by POEDOG View Post
    Thought I'd stick my proverbial finger in the breeze to see who's starting a thru before March 1st next year. My partner and I are shooting for early to mid February. The cold rocks.
    My husband and I are leaving mid february...probably 15th/16h.

What do your gear lists look like? I think it would be awesome if we all swap what we are bringing to gear up for winter weather???

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You Big Sur Cali types are a riot. Enjoying your chutzpah and winter hiking rocks attitude Poedog but talking about it isn't the same as doing it. Of course you know that though. It's easy to mentally ascend to it from behind a keyboard. Don't be a hoity toity Big Sur woosie when it comes time to walk the talk though. Just keepn it real.

Enjoy the AT. Love that Big Sur area but could do without some of the hoity toity nose in the air vibe I've received when walking into town with a backpack on and a Jarzee slang. $7 for a a reg cheese slice is a bit too steep for me.
    'Ahem'

I was born and raised in the Appalachians. Buena Vista, Virginia to be exact; about ten miles off the trail. Went to college in the Appalachians (Virginia Tech). Then I moved to Durango, Colorado and spent 8 years in the Rockies. I've only been a hoity toity Big Surian for a year now. (You can't really just 'walk into town' in Big Sur, as there is no 'town'. Last time I was in NYC, a slice of cheese was around $6. Not unheard of) I've spent many, many winters in the mountains (Pick a range). You know, just keepin' it real.

I will walk the walk, and leave the talky talk up to you. (6,000 posts!?!) Choose your words WISELY.

On to the discussion at hand..
    Last edited by Poedog; 09-17-2013 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Autummyst View Post
    My husband and I are leaving mid february...probably 15th/16h.

What do your gear lists look like? I think it would be awesome if we all swap what we are bringing to gear up for winter weather???
    I am attempting to collect all of the hot air being blown around on Whiteblaze to use as insulation.

Winter gear is discussed at great length on here, BPL and other places. The proper system is very important, but this will be more of a test of mental fortitude and patience. It's not an alpine climb, or a trek across frozen tundra, but it will be cold and wet (think freezing rain) with shorter (distance) days and long (time) nights.
    Last edited by Poedog; 09-17-2013 at 16:05.

I would kind of like to start that early...if for nothing else..the silence of the snowy woods. Still considering it. I havent bought a winter jacket yet..cant decide on down or the new North Face down like synthetic.

Have you considered both? i.e. light down jacket or parka, layered over a synth vest. More versatility, and you have a solid core warmth guarantee if your down wets out. These same considerations should be applied to sleeping bags/quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by POEDOG View Post
    I am attempting to collect all of the hot air being blown around on Whiteblaze to use as insulation.

Winter gear is discussed at great length on here, BPL and other places. The proper system is very important, but this will be more of a test of mental fortitude and patience. It's not an alpine climb, or a trek across frozen tundra, but it will be cold and wet (think freezing rain) with shorter (distance) days and long (time) nights.
    Hi Poedog,

Hah, i got a good chuckle out of your hot air comment I'm talking actually putting our gear lists out. I live in the northeast, so I'm not stranger to winter camping/hiking but I find that I LOVE talking gear Who would've known when I started this grand adventure I'd get like that. I think it's my way of also occupying time so that EVERY MINUTE is not spend wondering how many more months until I get to go hiking all the time.

So for example, my current winter sleeping/camp system as of now is (keep in mind hiking with husband who is a furnace, no joke, the tent instantly warms about 5-10 degrees with him in it):

two person double wall tent
    15 degree down sleeping bag
    Fleece sleeping liner that claims to add 20 degrees, really probably about 10 having used it on cold nights
    260 gm Icebreaker top
    260gm Icebreaker bottom
    3/4 Ridgerest Sleeping pad
    Smartwool socks
    Smartwool glove liners
    Smarwool Balaclava

my "maybe I'll add it if i think I'll be too cold" in camp list:

Down booties
    Inertia x lite short sleeping pad

Thanks for the suggestion. I am weighing all of my options. I havent dont much winter camping other than a few weekend trips.

Oh, I also have a patagonia UL down coat for camp...got it on sale at the end of last winter season.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++