WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

:banana

Thank you for the gear review link GoodGerman! My husband and I are pretty convinced that klymit will not be the way to go now. We are looking at the NeoAirxlite to put on top of our zlites. Great suggestion! And we feel more confident with that combination. We are going to test it out this winter in New England so we'll let everyone know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGerman View Post
    Outdoorgearlab has tested the Klymit. The Con's really are a bummer

Usually I'm good using my Z-Rest in 3-Seasons. However I wouldn't want to spend extended periods of wintertime on in.
    Will augment the pad with a Woman's NeoAir Xlite I picked up at an REI sale (warmer than the men's version) and ditch one of the pads after Mt. Rogers.

Because the R-Values stack, this would give me a total R of 2,6 + 3,9.

If you are on a budget and don't mind the bulkiness, then you could bring a second Z-Rest or a blue Walmart foam pad.
    Two shock cords wrapped around the two sleeping pads help to keep them in place

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is going to be starting early. I hope to see some of you on the trail! I'm leaving February 2nd because my husband will be on a six month deployment and I want to be back before he gets home. That and I do love backpacking in the winter. It is so peaceful, and the views are better because there's no leaves on the trees.

I'm going with a hammock setup, top quilt, under quilt and tarp. When December hits I'm going out to SNP to do a shakedown and see how I fair.

I'm trying to figure out what boots to buy for all the winter hiking. I have a pair of Merrel Moab Mid Waterproof boots, but the last time I went hiking in the snow with them they were damp on the inside within a few hours. I know getting waterproof boots that never get wet is pretty much impossible, but I was just wondering what other folks were considering.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frogmonkey View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what boots to buy for all the winter hiking. I have a pair of Merrel Moab Mid Waterproof boots, but the last time I went hiking in the snow with them they were damp on the inside within a few hours. I know getting waterproof boots that never get wet is pretty much impossible, but I was just wondering what other folks were considering.
    i walked in wet boots, walked in frozen boots and if the moon and stars were in the perfect position i walked in dry boots. damp is fine. even on a dry day your feet sweat and boots are damp.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Kayak Karl is absolutely right. The moisture is going to be there regardless. I guess it is how we manage it is what determines our performance. Here are the boots that I have been looking at - http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/78...2-pesto-beluga.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMtn View Post
    Kayak Karl is absolutely right. The moisture is going to be there regardless. I guess it is how we manage it is what determines our performance. Here are the boots that I have been looking at - http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/78...2-pesto-beluga.
    Those boots do look like they would get the job done. I was looking at http://www.rei.com/product/803483/sa...ter-boots-mens. There were another pair of Salomon's I was looking at, the Quest 4D, but they are just way too heavy.

Those boots do look like they would get the job done. I was looking at http://www.rei.com/product/803483/sa...ter-boots-mens. There were another pair of Salomon's I was looking at, the Quest 4D, but they are just way too heavy.

I loved the Salomon's too, but they were also too heavy for what I was looking for. I ended up with Keens and so far I love them. I'm going to test them out in the snow though and see what I think this winter

Just when I thought I found the perfect pair of boots, my hopes and dreams were crushed. I tried on the Oboz Wind River II, and they felt absolutely fabulous, but were a little narrow. I figured I would just get them in a men's size 7 and I'd be good to go. They don't make them in a size 7 for men . I'm going to see if I can find a pair of Keen Targhee's to try on and see how they feel. I hear they have a pretty roomy toebox, which is what I need.

Is anybody else bringing microspikes?

Is anybody else bringing microspikes?
    Hi! We were thinking of bringing them and then my parents gave us an unused pair that is like a more minor version of that that are lighter weight. Instead of spikes, it has coils on the bottom if that make any sense. We are going to try those out first and get the microspikes if the weather is bad enough or if the ones we have end up being useless. We are going to try 'em out this winter before we head out (we live in New England, so plenty of bad winter weather to try things out in)

The following link isn't it exactly, but pretty close:

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Pro-Tr.../dp/B001CZJBKC

I've looked at similar non-spike models as well. I just can't decide! The one time I went backpacking in the snow I didn't have a problem, but there was just snow and no slush.

Images

i use these . others have used them and can back me up.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i use these . others have used them and can back me up.
    Do you leave them in your shoes even if you don't need them? How much do they weigh?

Do you leave them in your shoes even if you don't need them? How much do they weigh?
    "ICESPIKE™ adds no additional weight and won’t affect gait or cause muscle fatigue or injury. You don’t even know you’re wearing them!" Also, they simply screw in/out.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Images

In dry conditions, did the spikes make rock scrambles slippery?

Images

The gear lists of early starters better include extra $$$. You will be spending more time in motels and hostels waiting out storms and nasty weather.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Here's a few things I learned from a March 20th start this past spring: 1+ to Jehhmeh's suggestion of MLD event outer mitten shells. Just be sure you seam seal them inside and out and take two pair of some sort of wool Mitten inserts. Be sure the sleeve length of your rain gear overlaps those mittens by two or three inches. It will rain, freezing rain and snow all within a few minutes....water running off your rain gear will run right down the sleeve and into your mittens. !+ on Jeff's suggestion of extra funds. Postholing through knee high and waist deep snow is gonna tire you out and slow you way down. Take maps of Georgia and North Carolina. Datto sells some really compact ones. The trail guide is just going to give you distances to the next road crossing. In a group of about ten of us, one person had a map. That map showed us that a side trip down Chunky Gal trail was going to save us several miles of tough, miserable hiking.

I'd also bring a National Geographic Smokies map. There are several side trails to bail out points along the AT in the Smokies if you get into to trouble.

I've looked at similar non-spike models as well. I just can't decide! The one time I went backpacking in the snow I didn't have a problem, but there was just snow and no slush.
    The problem is when the snow gets compacted & it turns into ice. When I came down Clingman's Dome this year, it was essentially a bob-sled run. Wish I had my Microspikes. Did a lot of butt-sliding. And falling.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is going to be starting early. I hope to see some of you on the trail! I'm leaving February 2nd because my husband will be on a six month deployment and I want to be back before he gets home. That and I do love backpacking in the winter. It is so peaceful, and the views are better because there's no leaves on the trees.

I'm going with a hammock setup, top quilt, under quilt and tarp. When December hits I'm going out to SNP to do a shakedown and see how I fair.
    Looking forward to see your shelter blogs then, since you will be a couple weeks ahead. I'm leaving on February 16th, and people think I'm crazy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++