WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Flooding in Boulder, CO

First, I apologize for this not being AT related..but this seemed a good general announcement. For those who are purists and want to keep out non-AT related posts, skip this thread.

Anyway, my younger brother decided to visit us during a great time: A 100 yr flood!!!! Last time this happened, it was 1904.

Roads in and out of Boulder are more or less closed.

At least we are not like Estes Park, Lyons or Jamestown and have to be evaced by the national guard. :O

We are on a third flood place well east of the major flooding.

Did take a quick trip to downtown before the roads were closed and here are some photos. The first four photos are from the downtown area just before some roads were closed. The last photo is a brief glimpse of the foothills from Casa Mags just before it clouded over again.

This song comes to mind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrjRKB586s

Well..hopefully it will not happen!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Great pics

Floods are a real pain, hope everyone comes through it ok.

Love that Led Zep cover.

Totally insane. Sure hope this is not the new normal, but it is starting to look that way. The doom sayers might be right after all.

Good luck and keep the hip boots handy....
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Glad to hear your alright, Mags! To all the folks in my former hometown,(Boulder) you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I live on 4th and Pearl, but my building was pretty much untouched. The last two nights at about 10PM there have been sirens along with a voice over a loudspeaker right outside my house saying, "Flash flooding is imminent. Please immediately move to higher ground. Do not go near Boulder Creek." The first time I heard that Wednesday night I was relaxing and reading a book and then instantly I was ****ting my pants.

But yeah, Boulder got really lucky compared to a few other close-by communities.

Flooding sucks big time. When your house fills with water it's terrible. When it dries up and everything molds its even worse. My thoughts are with you!

My flooding story is kind of funny 15 years later. Hurricane flooded the house with 30" of salt water, ruined furniture, carpet, walls, wiring, etc. My wifes aunt was visiting that week and after my wife and i ripped out the carpeting, packed a moving truck with most of our stuff and found temporary housing, she asks in a cheerful voice "What do you want to do later?" She went home
    Last edited by Rasty; 09-13-2013 at 19:54.

Been seeing all this on our local news and I feel for everyone up there. I've been wondering if any of the damage is associated with the Four Mile Canyon Fire we fought a few years ago.

http://www.dailycamera.com/fourmile-...re/ci_16014546

Good luck to those in danger.

Finally caught the news yesterday, was talking to my dad in Aurora while the hail was coming down yesterday afternoon. Yikes and double yikes. Like Slo mentioned- this is what they always said global warming would be like. Glad to hear you're safe Mags- hope you and all the other WB's in and around the republic of Boulder are doing as well as you can.

Images

News article this morning: CO authorities are telling people to get out NOW or they may not be able to later. Kind of brings Sandy to mind where a lot of people chose NOT to evacuate because "it's never been bad before".

Intense forest fires denude the hillsides instead of just gently removing ground cover. Years of suppression are finally catching up, IMO, if Boulder et.al. are downstream of recent fire areas.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

Its called weather
    Been around a few billion years
    There is no "normal", only what fools think "normal" is based on their own miniscule time scale
    The one constant of the earth, is constant change
    Deserts used to be rain forests. Mountain tops used to be under ocean bottoms. Entire continents used to be in different places on earth. The Appalachians used to be as high as the Himalayas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its called weather
    Been around a few billion years
    There is no "normal", only what fools think "normal" is based on their own miniscule time scale
    The one constant of the earth, is constant change
    Deserts used to be rain forests. Mountain tops used to be under ocean bottoms. Entire continents used to be in different places on earth. The Appalachians used to be as high as the Himalayas.
    ++ well said. it amazes me how people jump to such conclusions, mostly based on popular media. Hang tough, northern Colorado! I'm whining here in Lakewood CO, just a couple inches of rain over the last few dayw, nothing like what they have up in Lyons and Estes and along the Big Thompson. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ++ well said. it amazes me how people jump to such conclusions, mostly based on popular media. Hang tough, northern Colorado! I'm whining here in Lakewood CO, just a couple inches of rain over the last few dayw, nothing like what they have up in Lyons and Estes and along the Big Thompson. Yikes.
    Not a popular opinion here on WB with certain parties. More would agree but worry about the backlash.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

You know, friends of mine had to evac from Jamestown and are out of a home. And we are about to get in a pissing match over politics? Sheesh. Take it elsewhere please
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

I feel for anyone impacted, and wish them the best in dealing with their situation.
    I grew up in a hurricane area , experienced my share, and still do.

But the simple truth, is what we call disasters are pretty much always of our own making.
    We know the 100, 500, and 1000 yr storms, floods, volcanoes, and earthquakes are out there
    We choose to at best take minimal precautions, and basically hope it doesnt happen, and deal with it when it does.
    Its not feasible to do anything else.

Thats the plan by civilizations everywhere.
    And happen, it does.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-15-2013 at 14:31.

++ New Posts ++