WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taking the hammock plung...need advice

I slept in the back yard in a $19.95 Byer hammock last night and decided I need to bite the bullet and get a hammock set up, much better on the back. My current tent set up is at 5 lb and I'd hate to go over that. Any advice concerning how to get started without undue expense is much appreciated. My questions are:

1. Any advice on the Grand Trunk Nano 7? At 7 oz it looks like a good value and very lightweight.
    2. I have a 700 fill REI sleeping bag I'd like to convert to an underquilt if possible, any advice on that?
    3. I'll probably start out using the Marmot Helium sleeping bag I have as a top quilt and later on buy a TQ shell and add down to make one.
    4. I'd love to have a cuben tarp but I just cant see myself parting with that much $$$, looked at buying material and making one but that's almost as expensive, I'll have to settle for a silnylon...any suggestions as to size?
    5. Suspension...have no idea what to use, definitely need advice on this.

Any counsel you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks.

From my research...
    The nano is pretty small. If you are comfortable sewing, just buy 4 yards if 1.1 or 1.6 ripstop, hem and gather.
    I have the Dutchware whoopie hook suspension. It's sweet.
    I want to make an underquilt, but right now I'm using a ridgerest solite. I slept the last 2 nights in my hammock with lows around 56-58 and was comfortable.

I have the wilderness logics tadpole. I think it's the perfect size. Pretty light, and amazing inexpensive for the quality.

The best thing to do is head over to HammockForums & look around there, there's literally tons of information there on every aspect of hanging.

For suspension, I use the webbing that came with my Warbonnet Blackbird & have no complaints, extremely simple to use.

For a tarp, I use the Wilderness Logics Big Daddy. It's a bit larger than the Tadpole, which just makes it easier for me to stay dry... It also provides a sprawling porch-mode haha. Either way, I have yet to find a bad word uttered about Wilderness Logics, but there's lot of awesome vendors over at HammockForums!

I have been hammock camping for a bit over two years now. I started a little bit at a time. I used the same self-inflating REI pad and a Northface Cats Meow mummy bag I used for tent camping as insulation for an entire year before making the sizable investment in down quilts. My first tarp was a blue construction tarp from Home Depot. I now own 5 hammocks (Wilderness, Logics, Warbonnet Outdoors, Eagle Nest Outfitters), 3 tarps (Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, ENO) and 2 sets of down quilts (Hammock Gear).

Start with the Hammock - I prefer plain ol' open gathered end hammocks; size matters - my favorite is 11'. You might find a bridge hammock more appealing. Others would suggest if you'll be camping anywhere with mosquitos, an integrated bugnet would provide the most efficent starting point. A 10' hammock might not feel as comfortable as a 11' hammock for you. The size/type hammock you choose might change what you need for tarp coverage.

AFTER you find the hammock you will likely get a better feel for the accessories that will enhance your hammock camping experience.

MANY cottage hammock manufacturers. Most vendors also build tarps.

The internet will connect you to many resources.

Good Luck

Go to the hammock forums. There are tons a DIY tutorials. I have an ENO doublenest, hammock gear underquilt, and use an ENO tarp. The ENO tarp does its job but I'm trying to save money and get a cuben fiber tarp and top quilt. Also check on the hammock forums for when they are doing group hangs. You can check out different set ups and styles of hammocks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I slept in the back yard in a $19.95 Byer hammock last night and decided I need to bite the bullet and get a hammock set up, much better on the back. My current tent set up is at 5 lb and I'd hate to go over that. Any advice concerning how to get started without undue expense is much appreciated. My questions are:

1. Any advice on the Grand Trunk Nano 7? At 7 oz it looks like a good value and very lightweight.
    2. I have a 700 fill REI sleeping bag I'd like to convert to an underquilt if possible, any advice on that?
    3. I'll probably start out using the Marmot Helium sleeping bag I have as a top quilt and later on buy a TQ shell and add down to make one.
    4. I'd love to have a cuben tarp but I just cant see myself parting with that much $$$, looked at buying material and making one but that's almost as expensive, I'll have to settle for a silnylon...any suggestions as to size?

Drybones, as others have said, head over to hammockforum.net and spend the time reading all that you can. I spent 8 months researching and reading before I felt comfortable enough taking the plunge myself and ordering a hammock.

Like everyone else I have bought on a budget, which has meant looking for the best deals possible and DIY where I can. Bought hammock first then tarp. Since I already have a pad and bag, I am using those until l can get the underquilt and top quilt. You can most likely convert the REI bag to an underquilt.

Again, there is a lot of DIY information at hammockforums to help you with the process. And as others have made UQs from army poncho liners, I see no reason you cannot do it with the sleeping bag. For other DIY quilt projects check out underquilts.com for the quilt shells and Wildernesslogics.com for the down. Wilderness Logics has the best price on down by the ounce, and will even measure out and bag each individual ounce. I have priced out a shell and down for quilts at a savings of over $100 for each quilt.

My tarp is a Wilderness Logics Big Daddy (you can see my hammock and tarp in my photo gallery). WL has been a great company to deal with and quick to fill my order and ship. I got the tarp with a 12 ft ridge line, though for most folks it seems they are happy witha 11 ft ridge. WL isnt your only option, and you will find that any of the small vendors active at hammockforums all have good reputations and great service -- WL, Warbonnet, Jacks-r-Better, OES, Arrowhead Equipment and so on.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I agree with the other comments here - to to http://hammockforums.com. Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0 - videos for newbies.

Well...I took the advice and have spent some time on hammock forums...I'm now suffering from data overload, lots of info there, now need to decide wheather to buy or make, leaning toward making as much as possible.

Well...I took the advice and have spent some time on hammock forums...I'm now suffering from data overload, lots of info there, now need to decide wheather to buy or make, leaning toward making as much as possible.
    I had the same problem, there's so much info/different techniques that I ended up more confused than before I started researching. Take your time, a few lifetimes & you'll have it all read!

I wish I knew how to sew (I've considered taking classes just so I can DIY). If you already know, have at it & save yourself some money!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Images

you can get a lot of used gear on Hammock forums which will save you money
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

1. The Nano 7 is short. If you are 5'8" or shorter, you should be fine. If you 6'+, you out of luck.
    2. Better off using your bag as a bag/top quilt. Make or buy an UQ (here's mine: pt1, pt2 ). You can also make it a true UQ, there are some tutorials on hammock forums.
    3. Sounds good. I used my trusty Campmor 25 bag for a few years as a TQ.
    4. Depends on the weather your going to see. I used the fly that came with my Hennessy. It's not big - it's a parrellogram thats 58 x 87 (85 x 105 diagonals, so 105" along the ridge and 42.5" off each side). I've never gotten wet, but I've never hung in a monsoon. I wouldn't go smaller!
    5. I use a system that very few use - a couple climbing rings on some Amsteel Blue then some long tree huggers. Pretty light, but whoopies would probably be lighter. I bought some polypro webbing to make extra-long straps because the OEM Hennessy ones wouldn't fit around pines in the Sierra half the time...

I did not in any way take a light way. More a cheap way . But, all in, I'm at 2740 grams (6 lbs)

Images

Check out the group hangs in your area and go to one even if just for a day. You will be able to check out a variety of different rigs and if you let them know in advance you might be able to borrow some extra gear to try ( I always take extra gear to group hangs in case someone forgot something or wants to try something )

Cuben is very nice and light but is its pricey. Many nice Slynylon tarps out there, consider one with doors so you can close of the ends in case of heavy rain and or snow.

Some questions ....

How tall are you ??? Some hammocks are geared towards short people

How much do you weight ??? Hammocks do have weight limts

Do you live in a buggy area ??? If yes they consider a hammock with a bug net like the BlackBird or a removable bug net.

Are you car camping or back packing ???? Car camping then weight is not an issue.

Practice hanging in your backyard to make sure your setup works as planned.

Many of the cottage vendors have sales during the XMas season.

Suspension...many different methods. No right or wrong. Whoopies are very light weight but has a major fiddle factor and can even limit the trees you can use. Straps with cinch buckles are easier to use but to weigh a bit more. Climbing Rings also work but are not very popular for some reason. I use all three systems and keep going back to straps with cinch buckles becuase its fast and easy.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I think you're going about this the wrong way. First you need to start with a working system and THEN you can play with piecing stuff together. I know that this seems counter-intuitive, but hammocking is different enough from ground sleeping that the problems you encounter aren't going to get answered on forums.

Hammocking is a very small percentage of backcountry sleep systems.

So if want to actually sleep in the backcountry - start with something that works.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Check out the group hangs in your area and go to one even if just for a day. You will be able to check out a variety of different rigs and if you let them know in advance you might be able to borrow some extra gear to try ( I always take extra gear to group hangs in case someone forgot something or wants to try something ) Totally agree about attending a hang if possible. There's one planned at Cheaha first Oct. but it's the week end I plan to go back on trail.

Cuben is very nice and light but is its pricey. Many nice Slynylon tarps out there, consider one with doors so you can close of the ends in case of heavy rain and or snow. I've struggled with wheather the cuben would be worth it or not but my hunch is I'd regret not getting the cuben. I was buying a $400,000 machine once and had various companies quote, one of the guys that was a little high said something that stuck..."a year from now you wont remember what you paid for the machine but you'll have to live with it every day...truth.
    Some questions ....

How tall are you ??? Some hammocks are geared towards short people 6"-1" +

How much do you weight ??? Hammocks do have weight limts 177 + or- 2 lbs

Do you live in a buggy area ??? If yes they consider a hammock with a bug net like the BlackBird or a removable bug net. Normall hike when it's too cold for bugs, but would probably use it occasionally in the back yard.

Are you car camping or back packing ???? Car camping then weight is not an issue. Backpacking

Practice hanging in your backyard to make sure your setup works as planned.

Many of the cottage vendors have sales during the XMas season.

Suspension...many different methods. No right or wrong. Whoopies are very light weight but has a major fiddle factor and can even limit the trees you can use. Straps with cinch buckles are easier to use but to weigh a bit more. Climbing Rings also work but are not very popular for some reason. I use all three systems and keep going back to straps with cinch buckles becuase its fast and easy. yeah...I'm lost as a frof in a hail storm on suspension, I realize I'll have to try several to determine what works best for me but I'm guessing the lightest is what I'd like.
    See comments inserted in red...thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by R1ma View Post
    1. The Nano 7 is short. If you are 5'8" or shorter, you should be fine. If you 6'+, you out of luck. I'm 6'1"+ so that rules the Nano out, this comment helps shorten the list, thanks.
    2. Better off using your bag as a bag/top quilt. Make or buy an UQ (here's mine: pt1, pt2 ). You can also make it a true UQ, there are some tutorials on hammock forums. After some thought, I agree...believe this is the way to go.
    3. Sounds good. I used my trusty Campmor 25 bag for a few years as a TQ.
    4. Depends on the weather your going to see. I used the fly that came with my Hennessy. It's not big - it's a parrellogram thats 58 x 87 (85 x 105 diagonals, so 105" along the ridge and 42.5" off each side). I've never gotten wet, but I've never hung in a monsoon. I wouldn't go smaller! Unless I end up buying hennessey I'll probably suffer the pain in the wallet and get a cuben tarp, I wondering if the asymetrical tarp Z-pack offers would be large enough, I'm guessing it would be, weighs a little over 4 oz and has only 4 stake outs which simplifies the set up and lowers the weight of line required.
    5. I use a system that very few use - a couple climbing rings on some Amsteel Blue then some long tree huggers. Pretty light, but whoopies would probably be lighter. I bought some polypro webbing to make extra-long straps because the OEM Hennessy ones wouldn't fit around pines in the Sierra half the time... I'm pretty much ignorant of what suspension would be best but from what I've read so far I'm thinks tree straps and whoopie is what I'd go with.

I did not in any way take a light way. More a cheap way . But, all in, I'm at 2740 grams (6 lbs)
    Thanks for the post

I was ready to pull the string and buy a WB Blackbird and Z-pac standard cubin tarp a few days ago to use on my 3-week hike starting 10/7/13 but after some thought I believe I'll try to learn more about what's available and what might work for me and make a purchase after I come off trail 11/1/13. I have a great tent set up but it took a lot of mistakes and $$$ to get there, I'm hoping to make fewer mistakes on the hammock purchase.

The Blackbird is a very desirable hammock even on the secondary market- You will either love it or it will be easy to sell for near what you will pay.

Cuben tarp- Not only is Cuben fiber really expensive but, being translucent it does not provide shade protection. It is also louder when raining - sleeping under a drum head. I have both CF and Sil-nylon tarps - happier with the sil-nylon. Suggest WB Edge or Wilderness Logics Tadpole, consider WB Superfly if you expect to be out in severly inclement weather. I use my Edge more than my Superfly Any of these tarps will hold their value on the secondary market as well.

$$ - Slight discount available through Warbonnet when buying Hammock and Tarp together. Follow Hammock forums closely and be ready act quickly and you might snag a lightly used combo and save a few dollars.

Good Luck

Yup, hammock forums can be a bit of an overload when you first get one there. After a while your brain slows down as you've soaked up some of the basics. Everyone seems to have given you good advice. One other thing I might suggest - especially if you go the DIY route - is pay the $10 to be a donating member - it will open up a whole new section of the forum to you with killer info.

I just sold much of my gear so I can start over on a newer lighter weight rig. It never seems to end

Quote Originally Posted by Xristos View Post
    I just sold much of my gear so I can start over on a newer lighter weight rig.
    I'm hoping to avoid this, but it's not likely, hopefully only two times to get it right this time. To get my tent set up where I was happy I ended up with 5 sleeping bags, 5 sleeping pads, and 5 tents......can't afford to do that again, I've been guilty of spending $2 to save $1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++