WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I know if I was hiking the trail in the fall I would love to be able to take a break and watch my favorite football team play. I don't see the big deal. You can still go see, smell, and feel anything you want. In fact, watching it on their phone would be a very minimal distraction to others.

If I am the first to arrive at a shelter in the summer you can guarantee that a baseball game will be on my radio for everyone else to hear. If you don't like it you can move on. If I was not the first, I would ask what the others thought of it. If someone objected then I would plug my headphones in and listen to it that way. Usually the only thing stopping me from having a few drinks and listening to a game at night is dead batteries. It is something that I really enjoy after a long day of hiking.

I certainly don't expect others to get the same enjoyment that I get from this. But if you told me that you don't want to be in the same shelter as someone who is wasting their time listening to a baseball game, you would definitely not like what I had to say to you after this. If the case is that you can't be around someone that gets enjoyment out of something you disagree with, you should probably sleep alone every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    My guess is you are one of those people that text and drive b/c you believe if I haven't had an accident yet, I won't.
    And why should I be forced to choose the option to go somewhere else for the peace and quiet of the outdoors when it was their unforced option to bring the device AND use it?
    Really? Equating the use of a cell phone in the woods to texting while driving is just silly.

Images

Phones are here to stay.
    I equate not having headphones in any electronic device with smoking.
    Don't do it in shelters etc without the consensus of all around you.
    Not everyone views hiking as akin to becoming a hermit.
    The vast majority of cell phone use nowadays is silent keying and reading of journals, emails etc.
    The loud one sided conversations of early phones rarely occur and can be legitimately complained about.

WOO - you should have bought the Scion - my son has the equivalent Subaru (the BRZ).

My guess is you are one of those people that text and drive b/c you believe if I haven't had an accident yet, I won't.
    And why should I be forced to choose the option to go somewhere else for the peace and quiet of the outdoors when it was their unforced option to bring the device AND use it?
    Why am I forced to read responses from people who obviously didn't read the post they are responding to?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Phones are here to stay.
    I equate not having headphones in any electronic device with smoking.
    Don't do it in shelters etc without the consensus of all around you.
    Not everyone views hiking as akin to becoming a hermit.
    The vast majority of cell phone use nowadays is silent keying and reading of journals, emails etc.
    The loud one sided conversations of early phones rarely occur and can be legitimately complained about.

WOO - you should have bought the Scion - my son has the equivalent Subaru (the BRZ).
    You don't say OZ..... lol I could never be a hermit... never!

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Knowing the subject of what my OP was, I still put in that I wasn't looking for agreement:

"Not saying ya gotta agree with me, I'm just saying what I feel".

and yet that is still what this OP has become. One of the replies even said that having all the tech with you and using it no matter how it affects others is just the way of utilizing HYOH.
    Seriously folks, if you're sitting in a shelter watching a football game, a movie, a TV show, what was the reason for leaving your home/the bar for getting outside to begin with? Music is one thing, headphones are normally used. But I don't want the outdoor experience I came out for to be rattled by the unnatural sounds of a person agreeing or disagreeing with whatever is the moving picture on their IPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by trainhopper View Post
    If I am the first to arrive at a shelter in the summer you can guarantee that a baseball game will be on my radio for everyone else to hear. If you don't like it you can move on. If I was not the first, I would ask what the others thought of it. If someone objected then I would plug my headphones in and listen to it that way. Usually the only thing stopping me from having a few drinks and listening to a game at night is dead batteries. It is something that I really enjoy after a long day of hiking.
    So, you're saying if you're the first one to arrive at a campsite you get to make the rules for others to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    So, you're saying if you're the first one to arrive at a campsite you get to make the rules for others to follow?
    yeah.........?

Knowing the subject of what my OP was, I still put in that I wasn't looking for agreement:

and yet that is still what this OP has become. One of the replies even said that having all the tech with you and using it no matter how it affects others is just the way of utilizing HYOH.
    Seriously folks, if you're sitting in a shelter watching a football game, a movie, a TV show, what was the reason for leaving your home/the bar for getting outside to begin with? Music is one thing, headphones are normally used. But I don't want the outdoor experience I came out for to be rattled by the unnatural sounds of a person agreeing or disagreeing with whatever is the moving picture on their IPhone.

Your staying in a three sided wooden structure to get away from your four sided wooden structure and this is getting away from it all?

Images

tough to get away from it all on one of the most highly trafficked trails in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Why am I forced to read responses from people who obviously didn't read the post they are responding to?
    10K's reading comprehension thread should be required reading before being allowed to post. Well at least you should skim the thread for the highlights as reading the whole thing is way too much effort. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ng-to-a-thread

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Your staying in a three sided wooden structure to get away from your four sided wooden structure and this is getting away from it all?
    I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I didn't put in tent, or overlook, or tarp, or cave, or middle of a forest, or ends of the earth, yet someone had to pick out that one thing and razz me about it.
    Let me give aanother example: I was hking the PCT in northern CA(Marble Mtn area), had tunes with me and a great song came on from one of my fave bands. I began singing as loud as I could, not caring if I was heard or not. About 1/2 mile further I reached a lake to camp at and a few others were there as well--equestrians, hikers. ALL OF THEM said they could hear me siging for the last 5 min or so, and none of them were happy about it. Having the music didn't bother them, it was inflicting my HYOH onto them that was unappreciated. I was not welcome to tent anywhere near any of the others and it didn't matter if I continued signing or not. In other words, I took something away from them that was part of the experience and reason for being there in the first place.

That is what I am saying about watching something on your IPhone, or singing out loud so others can hear you, or cheering your team on, or having a one sided conversation on your cell phone. Many, if not everyone, around you would not like that situation to deal with b/c it's one of the possible reasons they went to the woods/mtns/swamp/hills/glen/lake/meadow/etc to begin with.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I didn't put in tent, or overlook, or tarp, or cave, or middle of a forest, or ends of the earth, yet someone had to pick out that one thing and razz me about it.
    Let me give aanother example: I was hking the PCT in northern CA(Marble Mtn area), had tunes with me and a great song came on from one of my fave bands. I began singing as loud as I could, not caring if I was heard or not. About 1/2 mile further I reached a lake to camp at and a few others were there as well--equestrians, hikers. ALL OF THEM said they could hear me siging for the last 5 min or so, and none of them were happy about it. Having the music didn't bother them, it was inflicting my HYOH onto them that was unappreciated. I was not welcome to tent anywhere near any of the others and it didn't matter if I continued signing or not. In other words, I took something away from them that was part of the experience and reason for being there in the first place.

That is what I am saying about watching something on your IPhone, or singing out loud so others can hear you, or cheering your team on, or having a one sided conversation on your cell phone. Many, if not everyone, around you would not like that situation to deal with b/c it's one of the possible reasons they went to the woods/mtns/swamp/hills/glen/lake/meadow/etc to begin with.

In Merika your still allowed to sing out loud. If they don't like you expressing your freedom of speech that must be that your a terrible singer or something?

Trust me, it won't be a big issue... You don't know how many cracked Iphone screens I saw on the AT last year in Maine from the Nobos. Most hikers won't be watching anything for long with how easy those displays break. Well, the androids seemed a bit more durable so they might be a problem, but I read a tech survey earlier this year that said that Iphone users were more likely to be heavy app users, so that should take care of the majority of those that would inflict their entertainmemt... err hike on others. Though if they use some earphones and sat in the corner away from everyone, no one would know or care what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I am actually not making any rules. I am a very easy going person and could care less what others do as long as you are not obstructing someone's freedom. I do not see what is wrong with playing my radio at a shelter if I was the first to arrive. If you were to stroll along after I was set up with the radio playing and began preaching to me that I am defeating the point of hiking by listening to baseball I would absolutely take offense to it. I would in fact tell them that I set up here first and I am listening to the game. If you don't want to listen you can keep going.

This does not mean I would not be understanding to others. If you came in late night and I still had the radio on I would not hesitate to turn it off if I saw someone was going to bed. I would even turn it off or put headphones on if someone made a reasonable request like people want to share trail stories or jam out on a guitar, regardless of the time of day. But yes, I do believe being the first one to a shelter or campsite gives you more of a say on certain things than those that arrive later.

I am actually not making any rules. I am a very easy going person and could care less what others do as long as you are not obstructing someone's freedom. I do not see what is wrong with playing my radio at a shelter if I was the first to arrive. If you were to stroll along after I was set up with the radio playing and began preaching to me that I am defeating the point of hiking by listening to baseball I would absolutely take offense to it. I would in fact tell them that I set up here first and I am listening to the game. If you don't want to listen you can keep going.

This does not mean I would not be understanding to others. If you came in late night and I still had the radio on I would not hesitate to turn it off if I saw someone was going to bed. I would even turn it off or put headphones on if someone made a reasonable request like people want to share trail stories or jam out on a guitar, regardless of the time of day. But yes, I do believe being the first one to a shelter or campsite gives you more of a say on certain things than those that arrive later.
    So if I am the first to arrive at a shelter and lay my stuff everywhere it is alright to for me tell people to move on because I was there first? Sorry, you are in a community space and respect does not matter if it is day or night. If someone politely asked you at noon to put in earphones to listen to the game I don't think the "I was here first" response would go over well. Just because you are first in no way shape or form give you more say.

This is one of the most idiotic posts I have seen in a long time. Being first gives you ZERO such rights.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    This is one of the most idiotic posts I have seen in a long time. Being first gives you ZERO such rights.
    +1
    The shelters are shared space.
    Just as you shouldn't smoke inside a shelter you shouldn't play music or make loud calls etc unless ALL agree.
    Being first at a shelter ensures you have space in the shelter NOT control of it.

Images

For the record I listened to many baseball games using my little radio and earbud speakers.
    I found it so dead boring it never failed to get me to sleep quickly.

I know if I was hiking the trail in the fall I would love to be able to take a break and watch my favorite football team play. I don't see the big deal. You can still go see, smell, and feel anything you want. In fact, watching it on their phone would be a very minimal distraction to others.

I certainly don't expect others to get the same enjoyment that I get from this. But if you told me that you don't want to be in the same shelter as someone who is wasting their time listening to a baseball game, you would definitely not like what I had to say to you after this. If the case is that you can't be around someone that gets enjoyment out of something you disagree with, you should probably sleep alone every night.

APPALACHIAN TRAIL ETIQUETTE
    On the trail, as in life, good manners go far. Here's how to behave:
    1. Don't lecture Give advice only to those who request it of you.
    2. Be considerate If you snore, travel with a dog, play music loudly, talk on the phone, go to bed really early, wake up really early, smoke, sleep naked, or dislike being around others, consider tenting rather than sleeping at shelters–you'll be the king of your own castle and you won't see nasty things written about you in shelter logs.
    3. Share Never spread out in a shelter to prevent others from using it, and never consume the entire contents of a Trail Angel's cooler by yourself. And remember: There's always room for one more in a shelter during a storm.
    4. Protect the water Drink upstream, do everything else downstream. Don't foul the water for your fellow hikers by walking, bathing, or dishwashing at the source of a spring or a stream crossing.
    5. Pack it out You're not being altruistic by leaving extra food at a shelter for "someone else." It just invites scavenging animals. Many trail town businesses have "hiker boxes" for this type of sharing.
    6. Be grateful Hitches, hostels, angels, and trail maintenance are just some of the supports built into the AT that rely on the generosity of others. You already smell bad–don't make it worse.
    8. Respect privacy It's very hard to lose someone while walking 3 mph on a one-foot-wide trail. Don't assume that anyone wants to merge itineraries for the next six months, and if you pick up an unwanted tag-along, don't spend your hike ducking behind logs–just be honest.
    9. Don't complain Of course it sucks that your boot soles fell off halfway through Pennsylvania. Look at the bright side: You're not at work! –Peter "Wicked Lobstah" Rives, 2004 AT thru-hiker
    “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.”
    ― Aldous Huxley

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++