WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Triple Crown

Images

I've really been wanting to try this "across southern Utah" route, truly my favorite are of the entire USA; trouble is that there is no trail, per se, just a route that has been done before:

http://www.acrossutah.com/map/

Foothills Trail to Chatooga River Trail to Bartram Trail , cross AT near Wayah Bald, continue on Bartram to AT at Cheoah Bald, AT N to Yellow Mountain Trail over to Benton McKaye down to Springer or N into the Smokies.

Do this as an April/May wildflower hike. Once the Bartram crosses the AT by Wayah the possibilities to go N or S on the AT and connecting to the BMT by cross trails such as the Yellow Mountain or Duncan Ridge allow all sorts of various ways to follow a whim and not retrace steps as well as get into a lot of the wilderness area trail systems off of the BMT or the lesser known parts of the Smokies.

Of the three long trails I liked the PCT best overall --- good trail, variety of flora and fauna, good views, good weather, yet doesn't kick your butt as hard as the CDT does.
    I really enjoyed the Camino in Spain, for mostly different reasons; a great but quite different experience. Ditto other minor European hiking that I've done.
    I plan to hike half of the Florida Trail starting in January; this wasn't on my radar screen initially, but it's hard not to like the idea of a long distance trail that you can hike in the U.S. in January.
    I hiked half of the PNT this year, plan to hike the other half next year.

On my sort of longer range bucket list now is some more European hiking. Maybe some "shorter long" trails in the U.S., like the SHT and/or CT --- the part of the CT that I hiked on the CDT was good trail and worth doing at any rate. In this category, I enjoyed doing the JMT as a separate trip, and the Wonderland trail is a hoot. There are quite a number of other "relatively long" hikes in my own virtual backyard. Last year I led a trip around Mt. St. Helens, and a friend and I hiked around Mt. Adams this year just over a three-day period --- not a big commitment, but a bit if an adventure nonetheless.

I'm not looking for any sort of "ultimate" thing. I just like seeing the world at a walking pace, and getting out into wilderness. I admire those that really push the boundaries, but am not personally inclined.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    I like the way you think Wise Old Owl. I have considered taking my SLR for this trip, even though it adds a few pounds. I'm still an amateur, but I've taken a few decent shots: http://ryangrayson.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_13.html. Any suggestions for submitting to magazines?
    I know this place "The Sunset and Half Dome" I was there just a few weeks ago. Great pictures

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I would LOVE to backpack in Europe; however, I have no clue on which trail to start with!

Here is Fodor's top 10: http://www.fodors.com/news/photos/eu...rails#!1-intro

Cycle around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I would LOVE to backpack in Europe; however, I have no clue on which trail to start with!

Here is Fodor's top 10: http://www.fodors.com/news/photos/eu...rails#!1-intro
    I thru-hiked the AT in 2013 and just hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc in Europe this past summer. Hiking the 105-mile TMB opened my eyes to a whole new world of hiking that includes great scenery with every step, international hikers, and lovely huts each night. In Europe, most of the hikers were European, and no one talked about the AT, PCT or CDT, instead the talk was all about the great trails in Europe. I'm hoping to hike another one or two of the trails mentioned in Shelb's link in the future, although I'm also starting to think more seriously about the PCT. So much hiking, so little time...

Lady Grey http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=17202

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A series of shorter hikes at this point....

Wrote this from a similar thread that came up earlier:
    http://www.pmags.com/the-gift-of-tim...ream-adventure
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

wOw, Mags.

What jobs have a sabbatical?

My personal dream is to slap a camper top on my truck and drive around the US by season, hitting the "hotspots", as I see them. I honestly don't care to spend more than a week at a time on the trail, and would enjoy traveling the country doing 4-7 day trips of "hotspots" as I see them(the list of which is far too long to even try to post, since it would include every region in the lower 48).

Crap, we need an edit feature!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    wOw, Mags.

What jobs have a sabbatical?
    IT consultants.

Well..remember, this is a "dream".

Having said that...

I took (almost) two weeks off between jobs this past year. I should have pushed longer with the hot economy for IT professionals in this area.

As my skill set/career increases, easier to get jobs with self-selected lay-offs.

My wife and I do not, nor plan to, have children and that makes it easier too.

IT is not my first career choice, but it is one that is providing a good life overall.
    Last edited by Mags; 11-26-2014 at 17:50.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    My personal dream is to slap a camper top on my truck and drive around the US by season, hitting the "hotspots", as I see them. I honestly don't care to spend more than a week at a time on the trail, and would enjoy traveling the country doing 4-7 day trips of "hotspots" as I see them(the list of which is far too long to even try to post, since it would include every region in the lower 48).
    I see so much beautiful landscape, while driving across country.

I want to do that, even only an out-and-back hike.

Hey, it all looks different going back the other direction.

I have Hunt app, that shows private property, and, public land.

I also have Topo app, for free offline 7.5 series topographic maps.

Maybe, I can really do this?

Journal Entries
    Images

In one year attend a game at every OHL and WHL Arena.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++