WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What would be your ultimate long distance adventure?

After hiking the AT in 2011, I got the hiking bug. I hiked another 1,000 miles of various trails in 2012 including the JMT, WT, and LT. This year is all about saving money for 2014. I've been planning on hiking the PCT, but now I'm thinking of taking a couple years off for one amazing backpacking adventure (or perhaps hopping around to multiple long trails). I've considered mixing in cycling trips and kayaking trips as well. I need to narrow down my choices and start planning. So, I was just curious, what would you do?
    ABackpackersLife.com

win the lottery, buy a big tour bus and play a different golf course every day for a year

Te Araroa, Tasmania, Brooks Range Alaska and PCT

Journal Entries
    Images

To be honest - one of the best gigs is to be paid to hike and IF you are young enough and have the best cameras and eyes is the cover art for magazines... those pics fetch $1000 - $2000 per cover acceptance. I have done cover art for Monitoring Times and have several covers under my belt. Imagine what you could do for ...

https://www.google.com/search?client...K5Tc4AOjqoHIDA

Best Press covers 2010 ... Warning Graphic content
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aphs-2010.html
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-17-2013 at 22:00.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    To be honest - one of the best gigs is to be paid to hike and IF you are young enough and have the best cameras and eyes is the cover art for magazines... those pics fetch $1000 - $2000 per cover acceptance. I have done cover art for Monitoring Times and have several covers under my belt. Imagine what you could do for ...

https://www.google.com/search?client...K5Tc4AOjqoHIDA
    I like the way you think Wise Old Owl. I have considered taking my SLR for this trip, even though it adds a few pounds. I'm still an amateur, but I've taken a few decent shots: http://ryangrayson.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_13.html. Any suggestions for submitting to magazines?
    ABackpackersLife.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Most of it is building personal relationships with editors and they don't know talent - but like the style and need art content... they are decisionmakers.. so I let a few free ones go thru and then say if you want to sell more I have an established business and can provide content that will sell.. focused on your needs... oh they like that.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ad...reat_wall.html

my videos get $200 at Channel ten news and my photographs get about $100 when I come upon things... but as soon as I get them I show them and ask for the money after building the relationship...

Yea that bee at devils tower sold it... You have an eye... now go read about building a business!

thnx for the new background! - great close encounter.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-17-2013 at 22:13.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Te Araroa, Tasmania, Brooks Range Alaska and PCT
    Te Araroa is high on my list. So I don't have to worry about extended visas, I've considered hiking it for 3 months then traveling over to Australia for a month, get a new 3-month visa, then finishing the trail.
    ABackpackersLife.com

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

The ultimate? Or several of them?

JMT
    OHT
    Finish PCT
    Finish CDT
    Bruce Trail
    IAT
    Trans Canada Trail
    Chilkoot Trail
    Great Western Trail
    Too many to list trails in all of Europe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yea that bee at devils tower sold it... You have an eye... now go read about building a business!

thnx for the new background! - great close encounter.
    Thanks for the great advice! And that makes me happy to think of my picture as your background. I think I'm sold on the idea of taking an SLR. I've only taken it on trips that are less than a week or so, but if I can use it to help pay for the trip itself, it's worth the extra couple pounds.
    ABackpackersLife.com

http://thegreathimalayatrail.org/

The Great Himalaya Trail

I actually would think of doing something along the lines of hiking most the long distance trails that others have already mentioned. Why not? Life is short and if you have the time and money-it would be worth it-beats playing golf each day, unless its at Bushwood Golf Course.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Te Araroa is high on my list. So I don't have to worry about extended visas, I've considered hiking it for 3 months then traveling over to Australia for a month, get a new 3-month visa, then finishing the trail.
    Te Araroa is not the most exciting hiking in New Zealand, but it's long...if you shoot over here just head over to Perth and thru-hike the Bibbulmun Track (600 miles) then go back over.

Bring your wallet...everything in New Zealand will cost you triple to the US, and your money will only increase by 15-20%...to hike Te Araroa and do a trip in Australia, including airfares, your probably looking at $7000-10,000 grand USD

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Don't forget about the Cohos Trail! You might also consider the Ozark Trail, and maybe some of the European long-distance trails.

Have you considered taking a week to work with on a trail maintenance team?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

New Zealand is probably tops but don't think I'll ever be able to afford it.

I'd really like to hike in Norway along the fjords.

What would be your ultimate long distance adventure?

Dying, only to find out you don't really cease to exist.

Another ideal long distance route would be to hike to Santiaqo de Copmpostela - from Northern Europe, say from Denmark, Sweden, or Norway. In Crusader times, there were actual pilgrimage routes from there.

Completed 3 major things on my "bucket list" this year so, need to make another one as there are only 2 things left on it at this time and with some luck, I may be able to do both of those this coming year.
    So, I'm thinking about:
    Another trip to Borneo as I really enjoyed the wilderness AND the people there.
    Another trip to Australia (because a good friend just moved there and we've talked about Tasmania and my son wants to visit his son)
    .Trip to Mongolia. ( I hear the weed grows wild there and I know for a fact that the people are super friendly)

Still on my bucket list: 1/Bicycle trip to Myanmar, and 2/ A trip to western China (somewhere near the Tiger Leap Gorge in western China, but before Tibet) (Kunming area). For sure I'll do one of these this coming year and with any luck, both of them. If anyone wants to do the Myanmar trip, let me know, it's pretty rough as the people basically have nothing but it's going to change FAST. I'm looking at the area to the northwest of Yangon by the sea.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Perhaps at this time in my life I am just too grounded into reality (having 4 teenagers at one time can do that to you), but my ultimate adventure is a little lower than some of y'all (although they sound wonderful). While this summer my plan is to make it to the mental halfway point (Harpers Ferry) of my section hike of the AT, in the back of my mind my ultimate adventure would be to Thru Hike the AT. I know some of you have already done that and moved on to other things, but that is still something I am looking forward to down the road.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

a trip RTW, hitting the GR network in Europe, walking the Camino again, this time the Northern Way. The old hippy trail, the banana trail, 88 temple shikoku, Te Araroa in New Zealand, single handed sail the pacific. Walk the Inca trail with my oldest friend Carlos, who hasn't been back to Peru since he was a child. Visit my father in Puebla Mexico, ride the chicken bus to Veracruz.... sounds like a good start

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    a trip RTW, hitting the GR network in Europe, walking the Camino again, this time the Northern Way. The old hippy trail, the banana trail, 88 temple shikoku, Te Araroa in New Zealand, single handed sail the pacific. Walk the Inca trail with my oldest friend Carlos, who hasn't been back to Peru since he was a child. Visit my father in Puebla Mexico, ride the chicken bus to Veracruz.... sounds like a good start
    Sounds like a great start.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++