WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Colorado Trail compared to JMT

I just finished my John Muir Trail thru hike last weekend and can't stop thinking about my next long hike. The Colorado Trail naturally comes to mind ... much longer than the JMT but not a 4-5 month commitment like the AT, CDT, or PCT. In an ideal world, I would thruhike the PCT next year but I think that will have to wait.

I am planning to buy one of the CT guidebooks soon (probably the Yogi guide) but was curious whether someone who has hiked both The CT and JMT could comment on how the two differ in terms of scenery, difficulty of terrain, trail towns, and resupply. I hiked around 14 miles per day on the JMT but had a few days closer to 18 which I felt like I could do without much trouble almost indefinitely. When I was eating well, I felt great, had no gear issues, and no foot problems to slow me down. I actually prefer 15-20 mpd to 10-12 since I get bored sitting in camp for long periods. I was usually done with 10 miles shortly after noon.

I would want to do the Colorado trail in less than a month so I think a 18 mpd pace would work out pretty well and allow for a few zero days.

The other option I'm thinking about is to hike a 500 mile section of the PCT - northbound - and repeating the JMT within the PCT segment. Kennedy Meadows (south) to I-80 would be the most likely route.

Thanks for the feedback!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Keep in mind the JMT is probably the most scenic trail in the states.
    So, anything else is not going to be as awesome.
    But CO has a lot to offer.
    The CT might fit your wants.
    It's not as above treeline as the CDT portion of Colorado, but offers some nice (and scenic) hiking.
    A lot of it is in the trees, so your awesome factor is definitely less than the Sierras.

If you want something close, think about the CDT from Chama (CO/NM border) to Silverton.
    Arguably as good as the JMT with much less people.
    Probably a little longer but you have another option of starting at Wolf Creek pass instead of Cumbres pass (shortens it by aprox 70 miles???)

That would be my suggestion.
    I believe the CT trail would be a bit of a letdown for you, if you are expecting something as spectacular as the JMT.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Both trails are great! I did the JMT first in 2011 and this last summer most of the CT. The CT was a good step towards progressing to longer distance hiking. I can't speak for the entire CT, as I skipped the first 6 segments (added a bunch of quality alternate routes instead). My journey in Colorado was at least equally if not more rewarding than my journey on the JMT. While I'm certainly not as much an expert on these trails as some, I'll try to give a brief comparison. Both trails have great scenery! JMT: better lakes; CT: better flowers (personal opinion). The mountains are different but equally spectacular. On the CT I did have a couple days mainly in the trees, but it's also exciting to transition to new mountain ranges. The San Juans sure are green, but they are that way because of the rain. I had one day of rain on the JMT and many more on the CT. I also had more challenges finding water on the CT but nothing that hard. There also weren't any scary stream crossings on the CT. The CT crosses roads more frequently, including some walks on forest service roads. I saw less wildlife on the JMT but that might just be random. On the CT you don't have to worry about carrying a bear canister, but I still saw a bear! For me, I enjoyed the options a little off the CT with 14ers and in wilderness areas. This type adventure is probably also available off the JMT, but I just stuck to the trail back then. The CT also has the option of the Collegiate West which has great views already but when finished and away from many of the ATV roads is going to be exceptional! Overall, my recommendation is to plan out your own hike. If you want to up the distance on a specific thru-hike, the CT is a great trail for that. But if you want a truly special route, design it yourself. Define your route by where you want to go and what you want to see. Don't be limited by to a what a single trail has to offer, but utilize the trails available (or go off-trail!) to achieve the adventure that is personally best for you.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Kee
    The CT might fit your wants.
    It's not as above treeline as the CDT portion of Colorado,
    With the Collegiate West option, almost 315 miles of the CT is on the CDT now. Wowsers!

Even if you take the lower CT route, a surprising amount of the CT has been routed higher in recent years.

The JMT feels more remote in some ways, but it does go through national parks so perhaps more busy.

The Sierra are awesome. But the San Juans are pretty special, too.

JMO anyway.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I just finished the CT, and I've done the northern half of the JMT (several years ago). The CT was spectacular, It is less dusty/dirty than the JMT. The JMT is mostly graded for pack stock, the CT has some very steep climbs, but they are well worth it. We did not have any trouble finding water on the CT - I guess that depends on what month you hike it. The wild flowers and animals were abundant and amazing - I saw 2 cougar, lots of elk, moose, and a red fox on the CT. I hiked the western collegiates - there were some god-awful road walks in that part - road walks that in my opinion are not fit for human feet to tread on! - but they will be re-routed in the next year or so. you also have to deal with a lot of mountain bikers on the trail, and while they were all VERY nice, I just wanted to put a sign on my back "deaf hiker" so I could pretend not to hear them (and have to move off to the side of the trail). What is worse in the motorcycles and ATV's you have to deal with - all that was along the western collegiate section. You shouldn't have any trouble doing 18 mile days - we averaged 14mpd, but 'we' are old folks - all in all the CT is totally spectacular, varied scenery and terrain, it has great trail towns, and I highly reccomend it. I didn't find Yogi's book to be very helpful, and for a data book - you need to get Eric the Black's to hike with - don't waste your money on the CTF data book (we had both of them with us - used Erics only). I also highly reccomend the "latitude 40" brand trail maps - fantastic maps.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. As much as I loved hiking the JMT this year, I am looking for something different next year. A long PCT section (say 500 miles) including much of the JMT might be "different" enough especially if done northbound instead of southbound but the Colorado Trail is obviously totally new territory. The road walks and mountain bikes probably won't be too much of an issue. A big part of the JMT experience was the planning so I'm looking forward to exploring the Colorado Trail idea in the coming weeks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

JMT is more remote, has more of a wild feeling, I think is more scenic overall(although I would definitely recommend the West Collegiate/CDT Route of the CT as far as scenery). The resupplying is overall easier on the CT. CT has plenty of added on side hike/summiting 14 er options. Disagree with Mags on the business of either trail as that's a relative situation based on time of yr/section you hike each.

The most strenuous hiking I've done in the U.S. on a longer duration basis is the CDT through CO taking many of the higher ridgeline above treeline routes. Definitely, was more of a route hike than a trail hike FOR ME through CO on the CDT. CO CDT like this kicked my butt, even though I was going SOBO as a CDTer and in primo long distance hiking shape at the time. Still LOVED it!

If you really enjoy the Sierras and the JMT and have good navigational skills and don't mind finding your way without trail most of the hike the next step to ratchet it up a notch is thru-hiking the Sierra High Route as it was designed by Roper. The SHR, IMHO, is even better than the JMT. Imagine that, something better than the JMT? That's pretty hard in the Lower 48.

Both are spectacular. I would say that the two trails are more different than they are alike.

The CT is more diverse with its succulents, aspens, greater variety of wildflowers and trees. The addition of the Collegiate West option (along the CDT) results in more alpine tundra but overall, there's less than the JMT. The JMT has more lakes. Resupplying on the CT is easier than the JMT. On the CT, you're more likely to have rain in the form of afternoon thunderstorms but somewhat paradoxically, water is scarcer on parts of the CT. Finally, you'll meet lots of fellow hikers on the JMT whereas the CT features more mountain bikers than hikers - at least in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you really enjoy the Sierras and the JMT and have good navigational skills and don't mind finding your way without trail most of the hike the next step to ratchet it up a notch is thru-hiking the Sierra High Route as it was designed by Roper. The SHR, IMHO, is even better than the JMT. Imagine that, something better than the JMT? That's pretty hard in the Lower 48.
    I have thought about the Sierra High Route but I would not want to make that trip solo and it is quite hard to find compatible hiking partners with a similar style, daily mileage, etc. I guess I'm not confident enough in my navigation to go off-trail on my own, particularly in such a remote area. Maybe some shorter cross country routes would build my confidence (such as going over Lamarck Colfrom North Lake).
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I agree with others: more lakes on the JMT, more wildflowers and variety on the CT. They were similar for me in terms of miles and vertical feet gained per day...

One additional thing I'll note: much of the JMT is coarse rock; the tread on the CT is generally softer and easier on the feet.

Me too - finished the CT a couple of months ago; did the JMT 5 years ago. The 'me too' is in agreement with others - the CT has more variety - I thought the JMT was fantastic - but it is lakes and white rock....all the way (). I did the JMT in the mid-summer months - it was way too busy for my tastes.

I'm also thinking about a SHR variant for next year and some other off-trail stuff in the Sierras....I'm also thinking about several dozen other hikes - life is too short!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardH View Post
    Me too - finished the CT a couple of months ago; did the JMT 5 years ago. The 'me too' is in agreement with others - the CT has more variety - I thought the JMT was fantastic - but it is lakes and white rock....all the way (). I did the JMT in the mid-summer months - it was way too busy for my tastes.

I'm also thinking about a SHR variant for next year and some other off-trail stuff in the Sierras....I'm also thinking about several dozen other hikes - life is too short!
    You aren't the Edward from England who hiked the AT in '91 by chance?

I am looking forward to doing the JMT in a couple of years with my wife and kids, but I am not looking forward to the crowds.

I hiked the CT this summer and could not believe how few people I saw. Over the four day 4th of July weekend I was in the Collegiate Wilderness and saw a grand total of 4 people during that entire period. Maybe it was the fires this summer, but I was shocked at how few backpackers I met on the trail. Never had any trouble finding a campsite all to myself - in fact the 3 times I camped and socialized with other CT hikers were a real treat!

hey Rambling hiker: have you done a Trail Journal on your JMT hike? the JMT is on my hiking bucket list, but I need to do some homework on permits, resupply, logistics, etc. for someone coming out there from Florida. Any suggested guide books or maps for a JMT hike anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    hey Rambling hiker: have you done a Trail Journal on your JMT hike? the JMT is on my hiking bucket list, but I need to do some homework on permits, resupply, logistics, etc. for someone coming out there from Florida. Any suggested guide books or maps for a JMT hike anyone?
    I kept a personal journal for the trip but so far haven't posted it anywhere. I think that the Yahoo group for the JMT is the best place for general information on planning a hike. It was on my bucket list for a long time but my interest was renewed after reading Ray Rippel's website and book last year (http://jmtbook.com/). Then I ordered Elizabeth Wenk's book which is what I took with me on the trail (just the relevant pages) http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trai...words=wenk+jmt. I also purchased Alan Castle's book (http://www.amazon.com/The-John-Muir-...ref=pd_sim_b_4) which was good but I didn't use it on the trail. For maps, I used the Tom Harrison map pack http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trai...d_bxgy_b_img_y. I actually purchased two map packs and left one at home with my family so they could follow along.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    dogwood beat me too it. Agree with every word above!

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    I kept a personal journal for the trip but so far haven't posted it anywhere. I think that the Yahoo group for the JMT is the best place for general information on planning a hike....
    http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/j...tions/messages

Quote Originally Posted by Paddlefoot View Post
    ....I hiked the CT this summer and could not believe how few people I saw. Over the four day 4th of July weekend I was in the Collegiate Wilderness and saw a grand total of 4 people during that entire period. Maybe it was the fires this summer, but I was shocked at how few backpackers I met on the trail. Never had any trouble finding a campsite all to myself - in fact the 3 times I camped and socialized with other CT hikers were a real treat!
    Very similar experience to mine on my 2011 thruhike. Met lots of mountain bikers, day hikers, "14ers," section hikers - very few CT thruhikers.

During our 36 days of hiking which started July 24, we only had one day where we didn't see a single person and that was Day 5 early in the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Very similar experience to mine on my 2011 thruhike. Met lots of mountain bikers, day hikers, "14ers," section hikers - very few CT thruhikers.

During our 36 days of hiking which started July 24, we only had one day where we didn't see a single person and that was Day 5 early in the hike.
    I just finished reading the official Colorado Trail guide and I have to say that I am somewhat concerned by the mountain bikes and motorized traffic on parts of the trail. Also, it does seem like water can be in issue in certain spots. However, overall it does look like a great trail, just quite different from the JMT in many ways. I'm still debating whether to hike the Colorado Trail next year and the PCT in 2015, or try to make the PCT work for 2014.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    With the Collegiate West option, almost 315 miles of the CT is on the CDT now. Wowsers!

Even if you take the lower CT route, a surprising amount of the CT has been routed higher in recent years.

The JMT feels more remote in some ways, but it does go through national parks so perhaps more busy.

The Sierra are awesome. But the San Juans are pretty special, too.

JMO anyway.
    FWIW, exactly my thoughts. That West Collegiate thing is a real plus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++