WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

For anyone using the sawyer mini and soda bottles as their hydration system.

Check out my post, its a nice little hack my friend showed me.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...r-Bottles-Hack

This guy could only find water in a 1/8" deep stream. He could not submerge bag to fill it. But he created a solution, seen in Tad Englund's photos on 3-JAN-2014:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=83666

Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayoR...gJeVKbYK-fRe3Q

The sawyer system is great, but here is another option with the link above to a gear review I made for the $39 Steripen from Costco.

FWIW, the mini was very solid on my monthlong hike of the Colorado Trail. I back flushed the filter during my five town stops and it did slow down between back flushes but not to the point where it became unusable. Would I like a faster flow rate? Of course, but it was adequate and the weight can't be beat...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Pogybait he called candy though I don't know why.
    lol. I don't know about the Army, but in the Marine Corps we call candy and stuff like that "pogybait" because grunts can trade it to pogs, "personnel other than grunt", for things they want or need. hope that answers your question rocketsocks.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
    lol. I don't know about the Army, but in the Marine Corps we call candy and stuff like that "pogybait" because grunts can trade it to pogs, "personnel other than grunt", for things they want or need. hope that answers your question rocketsocks.
    See also the Urban Dictionary.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    I did the approach trail for the first time 2 weeks ago. And I had enough water. But there was a point halfway through where I thought "im really thirsty but I need to save my water in case i cant find any more before camp"
    If you're thirsty, the best place to conserve water is in your body. Lots of desert hikers have been found in serious trouble from dehydration - with water still in their packs.

That picture looks like a lot more than a tire track - more like a mud hole on the trail. Depending on topography, I'd:

(First choice) Bushwhack up the gully that is on the uphill side of the trail. Because there's water running into the trail from somewhere up there. It may be running underground, but I bet there's a seep farther up that's cleaner.
    (Second choice) Dig a hole either in the pool or (ideally) next to it, and let the sediment settle out.
    (Very poor last choice) Try to prefilter with a bandana or something.

But I don't think it's much of an issue. The East is pretty wet. Even in a dry summer you can get water if you're willing to lose elevation. (I often wind up doing a 4-litre water carry around here just because I'm too lazy to climb back up from a water source, not because the water source isn't there.)
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 09-09-2014 at 15:42.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
    Well it absolutely did, really appreciate the reply, fills in that gap, he was a good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Well it absolutely did, really appreciate the reply, fills in that gap, he was a good friend.
    ...and a Marine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++