Images

Default Day hike or possible one nighter on The Florida Trail near Cape Canaveral?

I will be visiting Mom in a few weeks in Merritt Island. I would like to walk on the Florida Trail for either the day, or spend and overnight while I am there. Can you suggest a parking area and route that is near Cape Canaveral/Merritt Island? I try and look up info, but I do not find it easy. Thank you!!

Here is a link to the Tosohatchee wildlife area. Its west of Titusville about 12 miles just across the St Johns river. Page 12 has a map with the with more information on page 13. I haven't been in there in a few years even though it's close to my home. You can see from the map that you can drive there from Cocoa on SR520 or from Titusville on SR50.

Images

Default Mims area

On hwy 46 west. about a mile west of the interstate on the left google calls it the Blake lee trail. A good place with camp sites and loop trails. Part of the buck lake conservation area.

Tosohatchee is the closest part of the FT to the Merritt Island/Cape Canaveral area. Here is the link to the Florida Hikes page about that section of the FT: http://www.floridahikes.com/florida-trail-tosohatchee
    Last edited by lilricky; 09-20-2013 at 17:46.

Not familiar with the FT following the Blake Lee Trail, was that one of the Florida Trail adopted loops that the FTA abandoned last year?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Not familiar with the FT following the Blake Lee Trail, was that one of the Florida Trail adopted loops that the FTA abandoned last year?
    Thanks I did not know that. I hiked and camped in there the last two winters and enjoyed it.

Up in post 2 I forgot to add the link I mentioned. http://myfwc.com/media/305331/Tosohatchee_trails.pdf
    lilricky put up a good link too.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    The Blake Lee Trail is east of the St Johns and the FT has never been east of the St Johns river. Never the less it is a nice area. There are several good hikes in North Brevard. One of my favorites is walking the inside of the berm from Playlinda beach to New Smyna beach. It's 12 miles of natural beach and berm without a car or hotel in site.

Images

Default Thank you!

This looks perfect for me. I need to read all the link info, but it looks like I can go in the WMA entrance to see if I need a permit, then go from there. I should be able to figure out a few mile hike to a campsite, then return to my car the next morning. Thank you all!!
    Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Here is a link to the Tosohatchee wildlife area. Its west of Titusville about 12 miles just across the St Johns river. Page 12 has a map with the with more information on page 13. I haven't been in there in a few years even though it's close to my home. You can see from the map that you can drive there from Cocoa on SR520 or from Titusville on SR50.

Images

This worked out great for me. 10/8/13 was in between hunting weekends. Hunting is big here, with a tally board at the entrance for deer, turkey and hogs. I called the day before and made the reservation for the Tiger Branch Backcountry Camp. The girl was very friendly and helpful. Got my permit at the office and parked at Lot 29. I walked about 8 miles to the camp. I used an umbrella for the sun, the rain, and some spider webs where I did not see a spider. It was very interesting to walk in a forest of palm and cypress trees. There was a lot of ground damage evident from the hogs. Also, there was a stretch with about 8 inches of water, for awhile. Next morning, bushwhacked to Fish Hole Road, then to Powerline Road and back to car. Thanks for the help!!

++ New Posts ++