WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default First timer starting in late Apr, hitch hiking from California

I'd like to hitch a ride to Georgia for a late April start. Does anybody know of someone riding out that way from a western state? I like the idea of hitch hiking from California to the start but, would greatly appreciate any known rides along the way! Will be able to help with food or gas.

How many weeks should I plan to be on the road hitching before the start?

If you have/know of a network to stay in great cities across the US I would like some tips or suggestions if youre obliged.

Ill be a 32 y old male at time of travel, artsy and into running/outdoor life.

Bagge Pants

When the time gets closer try looking on craigslist. I saw a documentary recently, can't remember the name of it. But he was able to make it across the US in 3 days from accepting ride shares off craigslist. Might be worth looking in to. I know some people have Also, look into allegiant air. They are a small air line company but have super cheap flights. And I know they have a flight fairly close to the beginning of the AT. Another good one is mega bus. Cheap tickets and they are in various parts of the united states. The options I have given you require you to be more flexible/creative with your time but can get you to Georgia in less than a weeks time for a reasonable price.

I am in North Dakota so I am trying to figure out my travel logisitics as well. Luckily, there are a lot of really good options when you start to snoop around! Good luck!

The problem that hitchhiking presents is that there is a very good possibility that you and/ or your gear will never get to the trailhead .
    Do yourself a favor , spend a couple of extra bucks and fly into Atlanta
    If you can't afford to do that then you can't afford to do a thru hike

Also, sign up couchsurfing. You can find numerous people to stay with in any given city and is a safe cheap alternative to hotels when traveling.

Hitching across the country isn't something I'd do, but I can see where it could be quite the adventure in it's own right. There are risks, but there are also rewards which might out weigh the risks. Impossible to guess how long it would take. A few days to a few weeks?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

People still hitchhike? Wow....too scary for me!

Journal Entries

Excluding small towns and resort areas, the problem with hitchhiking is that the only people that would stop to pick you up, are people that you really shouldnt get in a car with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ams212001 View Post
    Also, sign up couchsurfing. You can find numerous people to stay with in any given city and is a safe cheap alternative to hotels when traveling.
    I've heard of this and will check it out. Anyone ever use this on, near, after the AT?

Thanks for the responses Ams

Images

I am not the sort to hitch hike, but I keep thinking about a number of potential cross country train trips. You could take the train from LA to Gainesville or Atlanta Ga. With the ticket price running about $390.

The route would start with the Southwest Chief across the south west and up to Chicago. Then the Capital Limited from Chicaho to DC. And finally the Crescent from DC to Georgia.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

OP
    The one way flight on Delta will cost you $ 372.00 from LAX to ATL
    Flight time is 4h 16 m
    You couldn't hitchhike to Needles CA in that amount of time
    http://www.delta.com/air-shopping/se...zL40Gy0KgOGNZw

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I am not the sort to hitch hike, but I keep thinking about a number of potential cross country train trips. You could take the train from LA to Gainesville or Atlanta Ga. With the ticket price running about $390.

The route would start with the Southwest Chief across the south west and up to Chicago. Then the Capital Limited from Chicaho to DC. And finally the Crescent from DC to Georgia.

A long train trip is also an adventure. Don't expect to get much sleep unless you get a sleeper for another $400. It's better then the bus, but only because it doesn't take as long.

I took the train last summer from Boston to Glacier. It was only 2 hours late. My friend who came in the next day was 10 hours late, arriving at 2 AM.

It was even worse going east. The train was late arriving in Chicago (apparently a common occurance), missing the connection. So they put me up for the night (along with quite a few otheres) at a hotel and gave me $25 for food. The train didn't leave until 9 PM, so I got to wander around Chicago for a day. That actually worked out good as I did get some sleep that night and I had never visited Chicago before.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagge Pants View Post
    I've heard of this and will check it out. Anyone ever use this on, near, after the AT?

Thanks for the responses Ams
    No problem! You have a ton of options. Another thing to think about is that most cities have hostels that are in great locations. Some are expensive and some are super cheap. Just have to dig around.

A few thoughts from a Geezer:
    Say you budget 2 weeks for hitchhiking/couch surfing to the southern terminus...
    Work those 2 weeks and use the extra cash to fly/bus to the southern terminus.
    What are your return travel plans from the northern terminus? Budget money for that before you start. Then if you spend all your trail money, you will have funds available for the return trip from wherever you happen to run out of money.
    Check with folks at local universities who may be driving east and welcome a paying passenger. You may have to delay your start a few weeks. That isn't all bad. Mid-April, 2013 was not a very good time to start. May, 2013 wasn't much better. Every year is different.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I don't even know if this is a viable idea but what about driving down to Atlanta and renting a storage unit to store your car, then hitching southbound from Katahdin back to Atlanta? In reality there are so many different ways of finding your way. Network, network, network.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I don't even know if this is a viable idea but what about driving down to Atlanta and renting a storage unit to store your car, then hitching southbound from Katahdin back to Atlanta? In reality there are so many different ways of finding your way. Network, network, network.
    I'm pondering that idea for a 2 month long section of the CDT. Drive to Jackson, WY. Stash the car. Fly to Kalispell, MT. Walk back to the car.
    You could probably find a storage unit closer to Springer Mountain than Atlanta. Leave a battery charger and extension cord in the car and disconnect the battery.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Los Angeles to Atlanta is $149 on 4/28/14, about 50 hrs using Greyhound. Better than hitching.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagge Pants View Post
    I'd like to hitch a ride to Georgia for a late April start. Does anybody know of someone riding out that way from a western state? I like the idea of hitch hiking from California to the start but, would greatly appreciate any known rides along the way! Will be able to help with food or gas.

How many weeks should I plan to be on the road hitching before the start?

If you have/know of a network to stay in great cities across the US I would like some tips or suggestions if youre obliged.

Ill be a 32 y old male at time of travel, artsy and into running/outdoor life.

Bagge Pants
    YES, people do still hitch-hike. I do it regularly. I'm not fearful of it either despite thoughts to the contrary. However, I have a good sense about people and have declined rides on a couple of occasions. It's kinda easy to do that when you have hiking/camping gear with you knowing you don't HAVE TO take a ride even if it's available. It helps to not be on a tight schedule and having a go with the flow attitude. There is no flight, train, bus, etc time departure and arrival schedule involved so who knows how long it will take to hitch from Cali to GA.

The right mindset is crucial in obtaining rides and safely hitch hiking. I get about 3/4 of my rides by not sticking my thumb out in the old fashioned way/idea of hitch hiking while standing along side a road. I hitch by meeting and talking to potential rides at convenient places like overlooks, rest stops, gas stations, convenience stores, pull outs, etc. This not only "breaks the ice" for them feeling me out seeing that I'm just hitch hiking to my destination which is a trailhead to do a thru-hike but it also gives me the opportunity to feel them out. If it doesn't feel right for them they don't give me a ride. If the potential ride doesn't feel right TO ME I decline even if a ride is offered.

Couch surfing is one option for staying in places along the way. Stealth camping or urban camping is another possability. Plenty of free for the asking places to camp across the country. Plenty of inexpensive campgrounds costing about $10 across the country. It gets you accustomed to camping and taking on a traveling/hiking lifestyle before hitting the trailhead. Some CGs have overhead shelters where you can sleep. Sometimes places like YMCA's will offer a shower and bed for the night. Sometimes, while hitching long distances I'll volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. In turn they let me stay there for the night. Inexpensive hostels exist around the country.

I find a big part of doing all this is in how I present myself and my attitude. If I present myself as a homeless derelict, potential drug addict, potential criminal, escapee from a mental institution or from a prison road gang, etc I'm not likely to get a ride or a ride with the type of people I choose to get rides from - sane people who are willing to help me out. I intern sometimes offer a few dollars for gas, a willingness to buy a meal, pay for tolls, etc. I approach getting rides as someone providing value for me and I intern seek to do the same for them. I don't look at hitchhiking as a means for me to freeload or unduly hassle anyone. It helps that I'm also clean cut, well spoken, sociable when needing to be, patient, have clean gear that any knowledgeable person would know is high end UL hiking gear(not a pack or sleeping bag given out a homeless shelter or from Kmart or WalMart!), etc.

And, as Alligator is saying it will cost you $150 to get across the country in a few hrs on a flight. You may have reasons unbeknownst to us why you would want to hitch that long distance but IF it's a long term money issue than IMHO that doesn't bode well for hiking the AT! I don't care what anyone says, you need money to hike the AT long term. As I said, I'll hitch places because I like the adventure and change up from walking but it's not usually about a lack of money issue. There are only so many money saving alternatives. I'm not saying this is your situation but leeching your way up the trail is no way to do or attempt a long distance hike! Embarking on something like a long hike without a sufficient way to provide for yourself and having a take take take I me mine mentality just plain SUCKS. Just my 2 cts.

What Dogwood said, reading my mind. Especially the last 3 lines. ^^^^^

Wayne

I am in South Dakota and might be driving out and storing my car at my brother's. Also considering the train. Don't know exactly when I am starting yet but if it is later I might start in Damascus. But PM me, maybe we can work something out when the time is closer and I know more about my plans. Maybe we can all go together with ams212001!
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++