WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default One night AT Hike in Virginia?

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new here, so please be kind. My cousin and I want to start section hiking. We're hoping to go on our first overnighter this weekend and we both live in Hampton Roads area. Our gear isn't great yet -- my sleeping bag is a monstrosity, right now -- but we're only bringing enough for one night, so we think it will work for now.

I was just wondering, does anyone know of a good overnight trip -- just one night? A hike-in, hike-out scenario would work or a shuttle. We're both in decent shape but we're not athletes, either. I want to see at least one decent view, doesn't necessarily have to be a primary vista. Any thoughts/tips/tricks/warnings/comments for us?

Thanks

Images

Park at Backrock parking lot and hike to Blackrock and then hike the few miles to Blackrock shelter for the night. BR is about 15 miles north of Rockfish Gap. Pick up a permit at the entrance station.

Images

Your best bet is Shenandoah Nat'l Park . I take you want to either find a return shuttle to your car or retracing the trail back .

Skyland north to Mary's Rock is a nice easy day hike with terrific views along the ridgeline. After enjoying the view from Mary's Rock retrace the AT to the Bryds Nest Shelter you past on the trail a few miles back.

This will be your nights stay.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Join the Appalachian trail section hikers Facebook page. Lots of information and opinions come from the folks there who are all section hikers.https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Park at Backrock parking lot and hike to Blackrock and then hike the few miles to Blackrock shelter for the night. BR is about 15 miles north of Rockfish Gap. Pick up a permit at the entrance station.
    Perfect idea! I was going to suggest the exact same thing. The view from Blackrock is pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch-Up View Post
    Join the Appalachian trail section hikers Facebook page. Lots of information and opinions come from the folks there who are all section hikers.https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/
    +100......I really like that Facebook page!! Everyone is helpful & friendly.

You might want to search the Hiking Upward site for specific trip ideas (http://www.hikingupward.com/). Many of those are blue-blaze trails but some are on the AT. Spy Rock, The Priest, Three Ridges, Cold Mountain all are at least partly on the AT and have loop options that could make for short overnights to get you warmed up. Plus they're all relatively close (3-4 hours) from where you live.

++ New Posts ++