WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Some unanticipated events have caused me to tighten down on my gear budget for next year so I'm sticking with what I've got - and luckily the Circuit is a great pack based on my experience on the JMT this year and I think it should serve me well on the Colorado Trail. I am planning on a PCT thru hike in 2015 - maybe I'll reconsider the Arc Blast at that point, or maybe just stick with the Circuit. The Arc Blast does look like a sweet pack in terms of weight and from the videos I've seen it looks quite large as well. I'd love to see one in person at some point.

I did have both packs. Of course the circuit is great but i found the blast 3600 to be greater. It fit well and carried very well. I did have the struts option. I liked it better than the circuit and gave the circuit away to a broke down hiker i ran into at trent's store. I think its important to get the blast sized right - I am 6' and got a one inch longer pack.

i saw these a lot on the pct in 2012 (where I used a sixmoons starlite) and they tended to be overloaded and worn by the time they got to echo lake/south lake tahoe. Mine is still good but metal connecting loops are rusty. seams and shoulder strap attachments still sound but I check them closely before using the pack now.

last year, i got a special order big blast that is probably 70-80 liters to use for winter hike. It also a good fit and rides well. I must had 35-40 pounds in it last summer on the washington section of the pct. its probably too big

I have carried the circuit and the blast in the same day with similar weights.....blast all the way. weights were 20-25 pound

I owned the circuit and really like it. I've never handled the blast. What do you like better? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesbrock View Post
    I owned the circuit and really like it. I've never handled the blast. What do you like better? Thanks
    Yes, I'd like to know that as well. I am doing the same thing, on a lightening quest - moving from a GG Meridian to either a Circuit, Ohm 2.0, ARC Blast, possibly an Elemental Designs or a GG Gorilla for warm weather. All great pieces, all in the same price/weight slot within reason, and boy am I confused.

Which one do you like the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesbrock View Post
    obviously, the 10 oz weight for my older blast is a nice feature plus the fit and ride is better for me. I never carry more than 20 pounds in it though.

Images

Circuit is internal frame; ARC blast is an external frame pack. Circuit will probably last darn near forever. ARC blast will last for years if you don't overload it, drag across scree slopes or bushwack in Alaska. It is intended for loads under 30 pounds. The tradeoff for lighter weight is less bomb-proof materials. Advantage of ARC blast is the ability to customize the pack to your body or needs, as each pack can be made to your specs. It is cooler on your back and does transfer the weight well. The seams are taped, so your gear would probably stay dry in a freak rain storm, but you would still need to line it with a garbage bag as an insurance policy. The material can be rather noisy, the mesh front pocket is not as durable as the one on the circuit.
    The Circuit is a proven AT pack. I have seen many of them on the AT and heard few substantial complaints.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

For those of you who use the 52L Arc Blast, do you have extra room and wish you'd. Bought the 45L instead?

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    For those of you who use the 52L Arc Blast, do you have extra room and wish you'd. Bought the 45L instead?
    I used the Zpacks Exo (same size as the Arc) last summer on the LT and found it just the right size. For an extended hike, anything smaller would be too tight, and I'm fairly minimalist.

Any chance you're selling your bearikade?

I've just ordered a 52L to replace my Circuit so can't speak from expirience.

The issue was even with 7 days of food my Circuit was never really full. I don't use a stuff sack for my bag and generally just loose pack it into the bottom of the pack in a compactor bag. Hence I'm always able to "fill" my bag but I could certainly go smaller than the Circuit.

When I ordered the Blast I asked for a number of modifications. One was to divide the back mesh pocket horizontally into two pockets. The bottom will be dedicated to my rain gear and tarp. The top for day use items and to dry stuff if needed.

Salient to your question is that I also asked for two daisy chains of flat tape to be sewn onto the back of the pack, one below the bottom pocket and one between the pockets. I'll use these as attachment points to add Zpack chest packs as required to add to pack volume. Each is 3.5L and weigh only about 1.5 oz.

Edit: Ha and whoops! Read your question wrong! Thought you were asking if the 52 was too big!
    Last edited by Weather-man; 02-03-2014 at 22:30.

Images

I received the blast a couple of days ago. I loaded it with all of my gear and had the room I needed to spare. I bought the 52L. .. Today I took it out for a 8 mile test run. Got to say Im really impressed. .. The one thing I would have done differently is skipped the load lifters. They aren't needed on this pack. I'll be cutting mine off. .. I do like the trekking pole holders. Makes for easy hands free hiking while on the go.

Journal Entries

I received the blast a couple of days ago. I loaded it with all of my gear and had the room I needed to spare. I bought the 52L. .. Today I took it out for a 8 mile test run. Got to say Im really impressed. .. The one thing I would have done differently is skipped the load lifters. They aren't needed on this pack. I'll be cutting mine off. .. I do like the trekking pole holders. Makes for easy hands free hiking while on the go.
    To have effective load lifters, they need to be pulling against the frame, but its several inches below them. They would never do much good in the configuration they are in unless the pack was full and tight.

Images

I did notice if they were on the frame it would probably work better. .. I should probably put max weight in the pack and see if they are needed before I cut them off.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    And compared to other hobbies, backpacking is downright cheap. (Classic cars, sailboats, big game hunting, dating supermodels.... that sort of thing. )
    And a lot cheaper than raising kids, once they're established and out of the house you can afford a lot of things.

Journal Entries

I did notice if they were on the frame it would probably work better. .. I should probably put max weight in the pack and see if they are needed before I cut them off.
    On my 52L arc, the load lifters are right above the top frame, which makes them able to work good. Although, they really dont seem to be needed, the pack rides very well. I saw a picture of a 60L, dont know torso, and the lifters were several inches above the frame, which I could see not working well.

I think a fair compromise would be a ULA OHM 2.0

I have personally made my ULA CDT my go to pack. Fully stripped 19.01oz for a med. As I've been funeral tuning my gear I have started to notice that even carrying 6 days of food its really more than I need and I'm looking into smaller pack options.

Images

Have you thought about making your own pack? It's really not too hard. I made mine with PU coated 140D GridStop and DWR coated 70D Ripstop. Goodwill donor pack provided the straps and belt, a mesh laundry bag for the back pocket and bottom of the side pocket. Total weight with roll-top hardware, compression straps and all that jazz is 386 grams or 13.62 oz. Might be something to look into
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

I have the Circuit and now the Blast. I was able to test out the Blast recently with my 11lb base weight and found it great. I do have the load lifters but rarely use them. I put the pack on walk a bit to let things settle and then cinch around to get a comfortable carry.Nice piece of kit.

The arc blast 52 is awesome!!! Used it all summer and was extremely happy with it. It was 100% water proof and held up great!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++