WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Good video on the Arc Blast 52 by a AT thru hiker who recently finished

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRXOxs9a5Y

so tempting to save the weight but I'm sticking with my Circuit which is a great (and durable) pack.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

I have both, used my arc for about 350 miles this yr, including JMT hike. My arc is really my goto pack these days, primarily the water resistance is the reason, but it carried extremely well. In particular it does not lean away from back, and requires no load lifters at all.(even though it has them). Perhaps if my circuit torso was a bit longer it wouldn't_ but it needs the lifters since it only comes in 3 discrete sizes. The arc can be had in your perfect custom size.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-03-2014 at 22:36.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I purchased a 52L Arc Blast for my Rangeley-Katahdin section but ended up bringing my tried-and-true Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone instead. I just couldn't fit 5+ days of food plus cold weather gear in the Arc Blast. However, I do plan to use it on future hikes (likely the Wonderland Trail and JMT in Sept. 2015 and 2016, respectively).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Following up on this thread, I stuck with the Circuit for my PCT hike (about 900 miles of total hiking this spring including side trips and backtracking) and it performed incredibly well even with the heaviest loads. I pushed it up into the high 30s at one point with a combination of 6L of water and five days of food. While I knew I was carrying a lot of weight I was surprised at how well the pack held up. Most of the time, of course, I had much lower loads. Usually in the high 20s-low 30s at the start of a resupply segment. With 2200 miles on my Circuit, it is in perfect shape except for some delamination of the hip belt pockets and the beginnings of a tiny hole at the very bottom of the pack when it contacts the ground when it is put down. A strip of tenacious tape seems to be a resolution for that.

Having said all of that, I still am interested in migrating toward lighter packs. I have ordered a custom CDT with a circuit style roll top closure that I'm planning to use on shorter summer trips where my total weight will probably be under 20 pounds. I am thinking that I might stick with the CDT for longer thru hikes in the future if I can get my base weight down toward 10 pounds. At this point I'm pretty loyal to ULA for backpacks having had a great experience with the Circuit but I wouldn't exclude the possibility of an Arc Blast being in my future at some point - probably most likely if I feel like I'll be at 25 pounds total pack weight or above for my next longer hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Pretty old post but I figured I would drop my .02
    I have the 52L Arc Blast Zip and find it very roomy even with my BV450 in it. The trick is to make sure to put the bend in the carbon stays before you start packing it. Comfort wise it rides so close to my back I don't even know it is there while the arch provides a nice vent for keeping my back a little cooler and not soaking my pack with sweat. For the record I purchased my pack used, once when I was trying to force one of the carbon stays to bend (the pack was loaded and pretty stiff) I snapped one(eeeek!); I emailed Zpacks on a Sunday eve and had an email response for "item shipped" on Monday morning.The replacement stays were here on Wednesday at no charge; just great customer service @ Zpacks!!! AWESOME!
    Congrats on your successful hike Coffee, I hope to post some adventures of mine her one day.

Default And now there's the Arc Haul

I have an Arc Blast 52l which I absolutely love! Amazingly comfortable with no load lifters or lumbar pad. Most I've carried in it was summer base with 5 days food and 2 liters water, which was a tick over 20 lbs, and around 25 in winter with snowshoes and microspikes and heavier sleep and clothing systems, only 2 days food and 1 liter water.

But, as noted previously, it is not made of materials that can withstand being dragged over rock or through spruce blowdowns. Mine got the first couple of holes in it last winter in the Catskills, despite my trying to be very careful. Small holes easily repaired with Cuben tape... however, the message was clear.

So when the Arc Haul came out with the dyneema grid material I had to get one. At 60l it's more volume than I need now, even for winter, but if I ever make my way out west to do the JMT or some such, it'll be nice to have plenty of volume for a bear can without stressing it, and in the meantime it swallows up my winter load with ease. I was a little concerned at first because the new, full hip belt caused me some lumbar pain. However, after getting the lumbar pad installed it is extremely comfortable. I'm betting that Zpacks will make these in the smaller pack bag sizes with the dyneema grid material if asked.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-02-2015 at 00:28. Reason: typo

So ... the plot thickens. zPacks has updated their ArcBlast line to use the upgraded features of the heavier duty Arc Haul. The site now implies that the only difference between the ArcBlast and ArcHaul is that the blast uses Cuben while the Haul uses Dyneema. This accounts for an approximate 3 ounce differential in favor of the blast.

As a result of these changes, the ArcBlast is now advertised as having a 35 pound max capacity - the same as the ULA Circuit. The ArcHaul is advertised as having a max capacity of 40 pounds - the same as the ULA Catalyst.

I have an email into zPacks asking about the comparison/contrast between the ArcBlast and the Circuit. I've owned the Circuit for 2 1/2 years and it is a great pack. A similarly optioned ArcBlast would save me 14.5 ounces and I'm very tempted. Very very tempted.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    So ... the plot thickens. zPacks has updated their ArcBlast line to use the upgraded features of the heavier duty Arc Haul. The site now implies that the only difference between the ArcBlast and ArcHaul is that the blast uses Cuben while the Haul uses Dyneema. This accounts for an approximate 3 ounce differential in favor of the blast.

As a result of these changes, the ArcBlast is now advertised as having a 35 pound max capacity - the same as the ULA Circuit. The ArcHaul is advertised as having a max capacity of 40 pounds - the same as the ULA Catalyst.

I have an email into zPacks asking about the comparison/contrast between the ArcBlast and the Circuit. I've owned the Circuit for 2 1/2 years and it is a great pack. A similarly optioned ArcBlast would save me 14.5 ounces and I'm very tempted. Very very tempted.

My circuit is my winter pack. But...Im eyeing the same thing. A 60L arc blast to replace it.
    In particular the way the belt connects to the bottom of the frame is perfect. Its as good as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My circuit is my winter pack. But...Im eyeing the same thing. A 60L arc blast to replace it.
    In particular the way the belt connects to the bottom of the frame is perfect. Its as good as you can get.
    Yeah I'm so tempted to order it now. Six week wait time means that if I order now I could use it for a trip I'm thinking about in February... hmm.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I'd like to throw option 3 in the mix: Elemental Horizons Kalais which would be in line with the Circuit. I'm an owner and an admitted fanboy. It carries 30lbs like a dream and weighs 34oz (I'm a large).

Just how does the waist belt attached to the zPacks Arc or Arc Zip anyway? The pictures don't make that clear.
    Looks to me like the Carbon Fiber strut (?) is attached to the belt by strapping and then captured by the pack on either end in a pocket made of webbing. Is that correct?
    A minor detail but is making me hesitate.
    I'll email them and see how they respond
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

The description of the waist belt you've stated seems correct to me based on the pictures.

I think that zPacks is overwhelmed by emails at the moment. I did get a response back to my question after a few days. Usually they respond right away. Good to see business is strong for them.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Coffee you're right. Got an automated reply. It can wait

Images

Joe has a video that shows the hipbelt attachment, and other options. It is on the website under he Arc Blast Pack.

Hmm thought I looked at everything will take another peek. Thanks

Yep saw that video awhile back, forgotten it.
    It diez show him detaching the waistbeslt and discussing fitting another size.

Once-st upon a time, and in a previous life, I had a Jansport Expedition pack. Very much the big brother to the Arc Zip.
    So I really like the idea of that zipper opening. But the mesh front pocket would be better for dampish tarps and hammocks and such. Plus the Arc Zip is more $$$. Decisions, decisions.

I had the Arc Blast all customized and ready to press "order" but I didn't. I just like my Circuit too much and it has too much life left in it, and anyone who knows me will say I hate change... oh well, it's always fun thinking about gear and zPacks makes some GREAT gear - I know as an owner of a shelter and sleeping bag.

I admire your restraint.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I had the Arc Blast all customized and ready to press "order" but I didn't. I just like my Circuit too much and it has too much life left in it, and anyone who knows me will say I hate change... oh well, it's always fun thinking about gear and zPacks makes some GREAT gear - I know as an owner of a shelter and sleeping bag.
    But the cuben arc is water resistant..... and sexy.....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++