WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I am wondering if you went with the standard belt, or if you felt the need for the additional lumbar padding?
    Again, I haven't received mine yet, but, just to chime in with some information on the subject, I ordered the standard belt. From my research before placing my order, it seems that some people need it due to body shape issues (reported as not having a butt), but otherwise, it mostly seems like this add-on was originally designed for older versions of the Blast, not the Haul, which used to have a suspension system that had thinner padding. The reports that I read indicated that the new suspension system has removed most of the need for the extra padding.

I tried on a Haul at the factory, but it was just for sizing. It didn't have any weight in the pack. It felt great, but that doesn't really say much, since the real test will be to try the pack maxed out with weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    Again, I haven't received mine yet, but, just to chime in with some information on the subject, I ordered the standard belt. From my research before placing my order, it seems that some people need it due to body shape issues (reported as not having a butt), but otherwise, it mostly seems like this add-on was originally designed for older versions of the Blast, not the Haul, which used to have a suspension system that had thinner padding. The reports that I read indicated that the new suspension system has removed most of the need for the extra padding.

I tried on a Haul at the factory, but it was just for sizing. It didn't have any weight in the pack. It felt great, but that doesn't really say much, since the real test will be to try the pack maxed out with weight.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I hear what you are saying...and am definitely leaning toward just going with the standard belt. I've scoured just about every newer Arc Haul video and it appears that this will be enough. As my fully loaded pack is usually in the mid 20s (including my current Osprey pack weight), I am not worried about putting too much weight on the belt... It's more out of curiosity because I can always add a lumbar pad if I feel I need it.

I have used the Blast quite a bit and also a Zero that I bought second hand. Absolutely love 'em, and never any problem with lumbar/sacrum pain. With the Arc Haul, however, I developed lower back discomfort rather quickly, and with relatively light loads. For me, that bottom crossbar definitely created a problem. But it was totally cured with the optional lumbar pad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have used the Blast quite a bit and also a Zero that I bought second hand. Absolutely love 'em, and never any problem with lumbar/sacrum pain. With the Arc Haul, however, I developed lower back discomfort rather quickly, and with relatively light loads. For me, that bottom crossbar definitely created a problem. But it was totally cured with the optional lumbar pad.
    This is very good information. Thanks for the feedback! As one without a lot of natural padding in the lumbar region, I just want to make sure not to create an issue that can be avoided. I think the plan will be to order the pack, see how it rides with my gear, and then order a lumbar pad if necessary. I'll just make sure to leave myself enough time between receiving the pack and hiking, in case I need to also order the pad.

I have the Haul. It appeared small to me too at first but when I packed all my stuff in, it fit. I am re-organizing a bit. I received it two weeks earlier than anticipated and I already had an accelerated order due to my target departure date. Have only packed it up and warn if for about a total of a few hours. I ordered the standard padding both for shoulders and hip. I really really like the fact that it carries much like my external frame with a gap at the back. I sweat a lot and this helps. Being basically water proof, I will put really important stuff in a plastic bag but do not intend to use a pack cover. Experienced people with the pack have said it is not necessary. I am lucky that their shop is only a couple of hours from me. I say that because the chest strap was too short. It was the only thing that felt uncomfortable (with my limited use) thus far. You may want to ask for a longer chest strap depending on how you are built. The other thing I am doing is carrying a separate small water bottle pouch on my belt that allows the bottle to hang low. I can reach the side pockets but it takes a little work. I sip water quite often but don't like bladders so the lower pouch works good for me. I did the same thing with my other packs. I found the hip belt, thus far, to be very comfortable. I think it is the double strap where you can cinch the top of the belt in a tighter than the bottom. I find I don't have to cinch down as hard to get a well supported pack. Oh, I also went with the dynema. I also have two belt pouches. These are the largest I have ever had. I am thus far very happy with the company, they are great people, and with the pack.

Default ULA Circuit vs. zPacks Arc Blast

Yeah, the weather wasn't exactly t-shirt weather in Maine today. Maybe Sunday when it is in the balmy 40s! I'm personally looking forward to the upcoming 4 days of 40*+ in a row!

I will most likely order without the additional lumbar pad, but thanks for the quick response!
    Took it out today wearing a long-sleeve lightweight merino wool top with no complaints. The lumbar support was adequate for the 25 pounds I had in the pack.

The 'Arc' took a few minutes getting used to/adjusting properly, but again, I've no complaints about it after a few hikes out.

One of the most comfortable packs I've worn to date.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Took it out today wearing a long-sleeve lightweight merino wool top with no complaints. The lumbar support was adequate for the 25 pounds I had in the pack.

The 'Arc' took a few minutes getting used to/adjusting properly, but again, I've no complaints about it after a few hikes out.

One of the most comfortable packs I've worn to date.
    Thanks for taking the time to post a report! I have pretty much decided to order without the lumbar pad, as the overall vote seems to lean toward people not needing it. I will also leave myself enough time to order the lumbar pad if necessary.

I usually spend a little time fiddling with the pack adjustments on a new pack. This looks to be no different - Especially with getting the frame set into that sweet spot where it is comfortable and allows for enough air flow, etc. Excellent news that it rides so well and there are no complaints. Congratulations on your purchase! I can't wait to get mine ordered up.

Hoping you have safe travels and an amazing hike!

Thanks for taking the time to post a report! I have pretty much decided to order without the lumbar pad, as the overall vote seems to lean toward people not needing it. I will also leave myself enough time to order the lumbar pad if necessary.

I usually spend a little time fiddling with the pack adjustments on a new pack. This looks to be no different - Especially with getting the frame set into that sweet spot where it is comfortable and allows for enough air flow, etc. Excellent news that it rides so well and there are no complaints. Congratulations on your purchase! I can't wait to get mine ordered up.

Hoping you have safe travels and an amazing hike!
    Thanks, I'm pretty stoked about leaving in less than 30 days!

Bemental did I see you are delaying hoping the weather improves? (Probably a good decision, by the way).
    Loaded my 60L Arc Blast yesterday for a 70 miler I'm looking to do in March.
    20+#s, no food, no water, need to add Sleeping Bag and Under Quilt, camera and electronics, yikes!
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Bemental did I see you are delaying hoping the weather improves? (Probably a good decision, by the way).
    Loaded my 60L Arc Blast yesterday for a 70 miler I'm looking to do in March.
    20+#s, no food, no water, need to add Sleeping Bag and Under Quilt, camera and electronics, yikes!
    Not I, although the weather has been looking pretty cold as of late.

I've still got my plane ticket booked for the last day of February, stepping off on the trail March 1st. I've learned from last year's mistakes and have an adequate sleeping system for the anticipated conditions.

Been there in the cold, but not that cold. Good hiking to you.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Default So honestly how is the Haul for 30lb plus?

Hi Jake2c, I understand you have had some time on the Haul now and I was wondering if you could share how you feel about it? I am asking you because I recall you prioritizing comfort over weight in previous posts. I have tried a couple of the cottage UL bags and at the 30lb plus range I have yet to find one that I would call comfortable compared to my more "traditional" bags like the older Atmos (non AG).

Thanks for your time!

-Michael

I started the Smokies 2 weeks ago with 28 lbs in my ArcHaul Zip and barely felt it. I expect 40lbs would not be an issue in this pack just like Zpacks markets it.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I started the Smokies 2 weeks ago with 28 lbs in my ArcHaul Zip and barely felt it. I expect 40lbs would not be an issue in this pack just like Zpacks markets it.
    Thanks soumodeler! I appreciate the feedback can you compare your experience with the Haul and a traditional pack like an Osprey (not the Exos) or Dueter or other heavier duty pack. I'm pretty gun shy at the moment due to my experience with a couple of other UL bags that similarly had very positive reviews by users and bloggers alike.

Cheers,

Michael

I came from the ArcBlast to the ArcHaul and 28lbs in the Blast was pushing its limit for comfort. I cant compare to an Osprey or Dueter but compared to 2 older REI Flash packs (45 and 62L), it is way better to me. However, most packs you find at REI don't fit me. I can't stand them, Ospreys in particular.

Buy one and try it. ZPacks allows returns for 30 days after delivery. I think you will be keeping it though!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++