WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Edible Plants Along The AT

I have seen several sources talking about edible plants along the AT, but none that are that complete. Do any of you have a good source for edibles along the AT. I would not mind doing a little grazing along the way to supplement the junk I will be eating.
    Midlife (Traveling Man)

Journal Entries

Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Onions
    Ramps
    Mushrooms - ONLY IF you are skilled at identification!
    Acorns?
    Hickories
    Walnuts

And there are probably dozens more, but honestly, other than a quick handful of berries now and then, I think it's much better to avoid trampling the vegetation and just leave the wild food for the wild life. Chances are you'll pass under the walnut tree before they're ready, and through the blackberries after they're all gone. If the berries are ready for picking, you might be competing for your snack with large hungry black furry omnivores. I hear they don't like to share.

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guides) by Lee Allen Peterson

Edible Wild Plants of Eastern North America by Merritt Lyndon

A Field Guide to Eastern Edible Wild Plants by Lee A. Peterson

If you travel NOBO at the peak of the through-hiking season, there's a real good chance that you'lll hit the peak of the blueberry season from NJ north. And mustard garlic is an ubiquitous invasive plant whose leaves (especially young ones) are edible when cooked.

Sorry, but I don't know of any guidebook that meets your needs. Euell Gibbons is still in print, and probably could be a primary source of information.

Another thought:

illabelle has a very good point: If every through hiker tried to graze along the trail, the AT would become a desert. Probably far better to leave the plant life alone.

I have yet to find the Bible on weed eating; although, I've found some books/media sources that I've found totally useless, not dangerous, just useless, because of the poor pics/descriptions...

My advice is to just start now looking at all the books/media sources and just start in your yard, unless of course you have a well manicured lawn.

I was floored by the number of edible weeds that I could find in my yard and a lot of those things are also found along some portions of the trail, such as Spiderwort and Wood Sorrel, but many more...

If you do have a well manicured lawn I would recommend you stop spraying it and let some weeds take hold, but also you could just go to a field and use that as a classroom.

Here's one source I like, but the video quality isn't the best, but he does cover a great variety of plants and you can alway take the name and look for them online for a clearer pic. Also, don't forget your local library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97jebTQisU

Journal Entries

Don't worry everybody, I’m not going to eat the animals out of house and home, I’m just looking for a little knowledge in case I need it along the trail. It’s also illegal to pick the plants in most of the parks along the way. Having a little knowledge of the wild edibles along the way is just a smart idea for anybody.
    Midlife (Traveling Man)

Journal Entries

It makes a good supplement, and one time I used it to stretch food I made a sassafras leaf salad with condiment packs. The even better news is you will learn on the trail and expand your options. But beyond that, emergency food and supplementing your carried food I would not venture further, EXCEPT, a thru hiker should run across a common AT species called a trail angel, which usually has some sort of food, sometime drink, sometime adult beverages, those can usually be taken without harm and usually greatly enhance your dining and hiking experience.

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    Another thought:

illabelle has a very good point: If every through hiker tried to graze along the trail, the AT would become a desert. Probably far better to leave the plant life alone.
    Depends on the plant. Garlic mustard is just one example of noxious invasives that choke out the other plants. Most parks have wholesale eradication projects. Even if you don't eat it, pull it out by the roots. Responsible foraging would not hurt most plants; mother natures ultimate renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by wannahike View Post
    That's a great website and monthly newsletter. Too bad he is based out of Florida. I wish he would teach a class in North GA or NC. From what I have found, there are way more edible weeds in overgrown urban lots than in the mountains. Young Basswood leaves is one option I was going to look into. Solomons Seal and Trillium are edible, but the food value isn't nearly worth the destroying the plant. I think that would often be the case along the AT.

The idea that one shouldn't snack on edible plants is absurd. Smilax tips are great! Boiled nettles are very nutritious. Both very easy to find right on the trail and grow back within days. As far as the best book...it hasn't been written.
    BTW: I am the wild life.
    Last edited by aficion; 09-29-2013 at 09:32.

Journal Entries
    Images

There are numerous wild edible books on Amazon and websites on the net, and its easy to develop keywords to find a learn the information...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tern%20america

IMO that its easy to take Mcdonald tall cups put some gravel in it, potting soil and apple seeds and have your starters going in February and plant in April along defoliated areas of the trail... How about them apples!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 09-29-2013 at 10:21.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    There are numerous wild edible books on Amazon and websites on the net, and its easy to develop keywords to find a learn the information...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tern%20america

IMO that its easy to take Mcdonald tall cups put some gravel in it, potting soil and apple seeds and have your starters going in February and plant in April along defoliated areas of the trail... How about them apples!
    The apples at punch bowl shelter will be good through around Thanksgiving. They are are extra good. I may just
    get some of those seeds going this winter. Great idea!

Journal Entries
    Images

Ah if you start them too early they die... They only need a month in the cup to get started.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ah if you start them too early they die... They only need a month in the cup to get started.
    I'll wrap em up n stick em in the fridge til Valentines.

From mid summer to late Fall their is all kinds of NUTS on the AT such as Walnuts, Acorns, Hickory Nuts, among others and also don't forget about Mushrooms, their is all kinds of edible Mushrooms on the AT, like with all the wild edibles a bite of the wrong Mushroom will kill you, so make sure you know what you are picking if not leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    From mid summer to late Fall their is all kinds of NUTS on the AT such as Walnuts, Acorns, Hickory Nuts, among others and also don't forget about Mushrooms, their is all kinds of edible Mushrooms on the AT, like with all the wild edibles a bite of the wrong Mushroom will kill you, so make sure you know what you are picking if not leave it alone.
    Speaking of mushrooms...

I just read this article and I really see no need to pick mushrooms; I just have no desire to take the chance. I really don't believe any nutritional value is worth the risk. As the article mentions, using the analogy of pufferfish, it seems to be all about the risk. http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-c...bly-dangerous/

Food has never been an issue for me on the A.T.

This sounds like it could get you hurt in alot of ways regardless of how cool it is.

I would suggest that only the most learned and skilled in this respect go try to forage the woods just for fun.

You're in and outta towns all the time...

"Nice garden ya got there, I'll hoe it for ya if you'll hook me up with some of the bounty".....

Boom! Free goodness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++