WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good food on the trail

I am wondering what kind of food everyone makes while hiking. I am growing tired of the ramen, packaged noodles, and mountain houses. What is an easy way to eat good on the trail.

Images

hire a chef.

or check out these threads:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...y.php?429-Food

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Also check out backpackingchef.com for creative ideas on dehydrated food. A lot of folks use lipton sides and add to them. Mashed potato meals, pasta with protein "mix ins". Lots of ways to create custom meals with a few carried items and bought items from stores along the way (or bring them if it's a short hike). Packaged gravy and dehydrated ground beef can be added to mashed potatoes for creamed hamburger over mashed potatoes, for example. You could add dehydrated onions and dried mushrooms too if you desire. Lots more ideas like that.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Also check out backpackingchef.com for creative ideas on dehydrated food. A lot of folks use lipton sides and add to them. Mashed potato meals, pasta with protein "mix ins". Lots of ways to create custom meals with a few carried items and bought items from stores along the way (or bring them if it's a short hike). Packaged gravy and dehydrated ground beef can be added to mashed potatoes for creamed hamburger over mashed potatoes, for example. You could add dehydrated onions and dried mushrooms too if you desire. Lots more ideas like that.
    I like that mashed potatoe and ground beef idea

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoc20 View Post
    I like that mashed potatoe and ground beef idea
    Gravel is very cool and so is Memphis rub on jerky
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

I observed a guy once, pull out a small folding skillet, a container of hamburger meat, all kinds of seasonings, and make a meat patty and fry it up.

While it was frying on his stove, he sliced onion and tomato.

He had a large tupperware type container with most of a loaf of bread in it so it wouldnt squash. He took out a couple slices and made a good looking hamburger.

Guy swore he was thru hiking.

No one believed him.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I observed a guy once, pull out a small folding skillet, a container of hamburger meat, all kinds of seasonings, and make a meat patty and fry it up.

While it was frying on his stove, he sliced onion and tomato.

He had a large tupperware type container with most of a loaf of bread in it so it wouldnt squash. He took out a couple slices and made a good looking hamburger.

Guy swore he was thru hiking.

No one believed him.
    Fresh hamburger?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Mix it up. Wander your grocery store and take a look around. Some ideas/things I do:

Dehydrated soup full of veggies. They are often in big packages that need to be broken down but they pack a ton of nutrients.
    Instant rice: add some sugar and powdered milk for rice pudding!
    Eat a cold dinner and have hot tea.
    Tortillas and tuna/peanut butter/nutella/pepperoni/cheese
    A pretty standard meal for me is an apple, cheddar cheese, and bread of some sort. Avocado for the first day out. Apples are totally worth their weight.
    A smidgen of dark chocolate finishes off a cold meal rather well.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Apples are totally worth their weight.
    A smidgen of dark chocolate finishes off a cold meal rather well.
    Pomes (apples, pears, other hard fruits) are great because absolutely all of it is edible - no waste! Now the tannins in the seeds might not appeal to everyone but if you don't eat them by themselves it's not so bad. I love apples on the trail.

As for dark chocolate, my favorite is Lindt 90% dark chocolate. High melt point and a ton of chocolate flavor in a little package. Mmmmm.

Some other ideas, Instant chocolate pudding with walnuts, mini marshmallows, and teddy grahams or crushed oreo cookies. Tasty, easy calorie bomb. You can divide your food into starches and proteins. Starches = rice, potatoes, pasta. Proteins = chicken/turkey, fish, clams, pork, beef/bison/venison. So, for instance, dried milk + mashed potato flakes + assorted seasonings + dried celery + dried clams = clam chowder. If you like it chunky just dice some potatoes, steam them then dry them and add them in a bit sooner to rehydrate. Perfect! To make it more versatile, substitute real bacon bits for the clam chowder and add cheddar cheese (real or powdered) or dried parmesan cheese and chives. Now you have "sausage" and potato soup. Sometimes you can buy the dried soup base in the store and just add additional mix ins.

Go to the store and shop the starches, sauces and other packaged meals. Then shop for tuna pouches, chicken pouches, jerkies. Order up some dried veggies (or dry yourself) and keep them on hand to mix in with what you find. You can make a bunch of meals very easily this way. Oh and don't forget hard cheeses and pepperoni/preserved meats.

For instance, 1 box Mac and Cheese Dinner + olive oil (ghee is better) + Nido milk + pouch tuna + crushed bbq potato chips = tuna helper. Or just buy tuna helper. I prefer the former.

Journal Entries
    Images

Now we all know how you came to getting the trail name...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Now we all know how you came to getting the trail name...
    Tee hee. Let's just say we eat well on the trail.

Journal Entries

Take a look at these videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8oRLgTrHI
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

There is no easy way. I dehydrate all my jerky and veggies to mix in with my base meal of rice or raman noodles. Shi**y eating is just part of the trail experience; it's one of the things that makes coming back to town so good.

Carry herbs and spices w/ some zing in them such as capers, red pepper flakes , tarragon , green peppercorns ,garlic in quantity , fennel seed ......
    and then there are the zests ; orange , lemon and lime

I'm hiking with FarmerChef. I'll carry the food if I may have some dinner!

If you (the OP) do decide to buy dehydrated veggies and such in bulk - buy them in small quantities and taste test. Some of them are not very good.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

the inlaws just got me a dehydrator so ill have to try that out. Thanks for all the help

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoc20 View Post
    the inlaws just got me a dehydrator so ill have to try that out. Thanks for all the help
    Try plain old spagetti first. Deydrates easy peasy, tastes great! Beats oatmeal for b-fast, too!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries
    Images

Make sure you read the instructions... The better ones will allow the trays in the dishwasher,

Also folks dont forget http://www.trailcooking.com/

Woo

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Life is too short not to eat well.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++