WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default zPacks Sleeping Bag Review

Check out www.TrailGroove.com edition 13, which has a nice review of the zPacks sleeping bag. You may have to register (for free), but the pictures and articles are worth the hassle in my opinion.

I've owned a WM UltraLite (20F) for a decade I think, which is a great UL bag at 26 ounces (2 ounces less than the current version), but I'll be debating the merits of a zPacks sleeping bag (900 fill down, CF baffles, 20 oz, no hood, $400) for my September trip to Maine. I don't have many options left for saving 4-6 ounces, so I will likely add this to my TBD list.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Like Aaron said in his review, "with so many things done differently it can be hard to compare this on paper with other sleeping bags on the market." He did a good review tying in several issues some quilt reviewers ignore.

It seems to be a sewn footbox quilt with a zipper option. Some will call it a sleeping bag. I say it's a quilt. I would compare it to other quilt like UL hoodless sleeping bags just as Outdoor Gear Lab did. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultral...ng-Bag-Reviews I'm carefully thinking about my usage compared to my Feathered Friends 20* UL Swallow and it's hard and not fair, similar to comparing a tent/tarp that uses trekking poles for a set up compared to a tent with dedicated tent poles.

Personally, I've learned to not so quickly jump back onto the UL merry-go-round chasing the latest greatest wee bit lighter gear by prioritizing saving a few ounces over all other possible considerations. In other words, I tend to think through things more carefully in my own usage than being blinded solely by saving a few ounces. SOMETIMES(often?), saving those ounces has consequences in other aspects. That's NOT to say I don't like this bag or what Joe Valesco is doing at Zpacks. He's doing some marvelous edgy stuff. I really like all the options ZPacks offers to really dial in a customized kit! I also like all the technical specs he offers. I think ZPacks goes to great depths to inform accurately as they can and offer excellent products. I know what I'm getting with companies like ZPacks! I'm thinking how my usage and hiking style fits into this bag.

I've been looking at the zPacks bag for months now but I'm sticking with my Marmot Helium for now. It is tempting to save a pound but there are definitely compromises that have to be made as well as being able to justify $400+ to save a pound. I believe that I sleep cold so I was actually looking at the ten degree zPacks bag which cut the weight savings down to around 14 ounces rather than a pound. I'm probably going to stick with my Helium for hikes out west and look into a 45 degree quilt for warm weather east coast hiking. Then I could cut my warm weather weight by a pound or more for something like $200.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Thanks. That's great review.

I simply love my Z pack bag. I ended up with a 30 degree long and wide (before they offered the extra wide) and it's been great. I'm now wishing I would gotten the 20 degree bag as I think it's a bit more flexible. I had originally bought the long thinking that I could crawl inside but I ended up never using that feature, at least so far. When I need max warmth I simply "zip up" the elastic cord around my neck, wear a good hat and it serves to keep the warm air in very well. The elastic is so stretchy that I can actually crawl out of the bag with it zipped up around my neck. This comes in handy if you get warm and want to hag an arm out. The bag still stays somewhat closed but you're able to easily squeeze an arm or arms out. Great set up. The wide allows for good layering and I believe that I've had it down to 25ish, maybe a bit lower, and it's been fine. My total weight is just at 16oz.

Next is a down hood.

Journal Entries

Ive wondered this, but not asked before:

Exactly how do you wash a zpacks bag? Well, washing isnt the problem, drying might be.

The cuben used for the baffles is possible to damage in the dryer. Perhaps low doesnt , but its a risk. Polyester films shrink when exposed to heat typically..

Joe says to handwash it like in the tub with the appropriate cleaner meant for cleaning down.

++ New Posts ++