WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

The folks who manage the AMC cabin at Upper Goose Pond have been told to close the cabin for the use by hikers. The property is owned by the NPS but is staffed and maintained by voulenteers. The cabin was scheduled to be closed for the season on Oct. 20.
    Grampie-N->2001

So, in conformance with the Sreaight Forward Forum rules:

Has anyone been to sections of the AT in NJ THIS WEEK; that is, since the federal shutdown began?

If so, can you provide any information on the status of the trail? Please be specific about the location.

Thanks.

I drove up the entrance station at Thornton Gap on the Skyline Drive yesterday afternoon. There was a handwritten sign in the unoccupied kiosk the the Shenandoah National Park is closed for all uses, including trails...they used a term that "no recreating was allowed". That said, there were numerous cars parked at Milepost 0 in Front Royal and it appears that the Dickey Ridge trail into the park is being used. I saw no rangers at either entrance point.

AMC issued the following on their facilitates in the whites

http://news.outdoors.org/2013/10/moh...o-federal.html

Called the AT Conservancy and talked to a dude who said he understood the AT section im planning to hike next weekend (Rockfish Gap to Crabtree Falls) through the George Washington/Jefferson National Forest was closed. He said the trail through Pennsylvania is open because it’s almost exclusively in state forests. I don’t want to drive to Pennsylvania to hike 30-40 miles.

@ RichmondHokie: I just got back today from the section just south of Crabtree Falls (Tar Jacket Ridge / Cole(d) Mountain), and it was business as usual. I even drove the Parkway all the way home. I didn't see any closure notices on the trail at all. I heard rumors that some through-hikers were kicked out of SNP. You may not be able to park at Crabtree Falls because that is a fee area of the USFS, but I suspect you could hike without being in violation of any USFS directives.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    @ RichmondHokie: I just got back today from the section just south of Crabtree Falls (Tar Jacket Ridge / Cole(d) Mountain), and it was business as usual. I even drove the Parkway all the way home. I didn't see any closure notices on the trail at all. I heard rumors that some through-hikers were kicked out of SNP. You may not be able to park at Crabtree Falls because that is a fee area of the USFS, but I suspect you could hike without being in violation of any USFS directives.
    Thanks for that info, Southerner. THE BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY IS OPEN!! YIPEEEE!!!

Thanks for the clarification on my question, Alligator.

Images

I am down here south of daleville and there are some closure signs. but the big problem is lack of water.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I am down here south of daleville and there are some closure signs. but the big problem is lack of water.
    JimmyJam, Where are you seeing water shortages at specifically?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

For those interested, you'll find some detailed planning information for National Park closures at this DOI page:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/index.cfm

The National Park Service specifc information is nearer the bottom than the top of the page.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    JimmyJam, Where are you seeing water shortages at specifically?
    Most springs are dry and many creeks are dry or are puddles at best. this should change in a few days after the hurricane .

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local...gency/2924141/

So this is what happens when someone gets hurt on a closed trail ^^^.. I'm glad she is OK.

JJ... if you let me know where to put water jugs south of Daleville, I'll do it. The rain is supposed to start on Monday.

Any updates on GSMNP?

The overflow parking area on old US 41 for Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield remains open. I parked there this morning and did my 7ish mile hill march. There were a lot of other folks walking around out there too. All other satellite parking areas, and the main parking lot at the visitor center remain closed.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

DSC02322.jpg
    Here's what greats NOBOs at Rockfish Gap. The sign is facing the trail, not the road so I can only assume it is ment for hikers, flashing yellow light and all.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

http://washingtonexaminer.com/scott-...rticle/2536844

The Badger State is now known as the Honey Badger State

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I have a friend who is biking the towpath from Cumberland to DC. She left a voice mail tonight to please bring her water. They've turned off all of the water pumps along the way. Cause WOW that just cost the government so much to run! Bastards.
    The pumps are hand pumps, they cost nothing to run. They usually take the handle off when they don't want you to use them such as when the water tests bad.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I have a friend who is biking the towpath from Cumberland to DC. She left a voice mail tonight to please bring her water. They've turned off all of the water pumps along the way. Cause WOW that just cost the government so much to run!
    The pumps are seasonal and are shut off every fall. This could be a seasonal shut off or it could be the bureaucrats sticking it to the trail users. Or it could be (my guess) that they are shut off early as they don't have a crystal ball and don't know if they will still be furloughed when the normal shut off time arrives.
    Last edited by Alligator; 10-05-2013 at 22:20. Reason: Quoted Post edited

GA-ME 2011
    Images

And since the AT follows the C&O Canal for 3 miles here's what NPS says is going on there.

• Visitor traffic, whether on foot, bike, or horse, is strictly prohibited.
    • Bicyclists planning rides from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O Canal should plan to turn back at Cumberland.
    • All Visitors Centers are CLOSED.
    • Hiker/Bikers and campgrounds are CLOSED.
    • The Canal Quarters lockhouses are CLOSED.
    • All restroom facilities, both permanent and portable, are CLOSED.
    • Handles have been removed from all well pumps.
    • The only Park staff that will be on duty will be law enforcement rangers.
    • The portion of the Capital Crescent Trail that runs parallel to the towpath in DC is managed by the C&O Canal NHP and is CLOSED.
    • All access roads to the Park are CLOSED. This means you will not be able to trailer boats to boat ramps along the towpath.
    • Interpretive and educational programming in the Park will be temporarily suspended. School field trips to the Park will need to be rescheduled once Park staff has returned.
    • Volunteer events and events requiring special use permits will not be able to take place.
    • All volunteers working in an official capacity should cease volunteer activities immediately and not enter the Park's premises.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/c...ns/topics/9345
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

And this from the ATC site.

The Appalachian Trail is now officially closed across the approximately 700 miles managed by the National Park Service. Because of the shutdown, all National Park Service – Volunteers In Parks (VIP) and USDA Forest Service - Volunteer In Forests (VIF) volunteer programs will be terminated. Therefore, for the duration of the shutdown, the ATC will not be able to engage with volunteers in activities on the Trail, Trail facilities, or Trail lands. We also are required to close our visitor center in Boiling Springs, PA.

​Other than SNP and GSMNP where else does the trail go through NPS land?

"Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++