WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    isn't the C&O also a National Park? So would they barricade that, too? The bridge into town? Barricaded? The boundary of the park extends up the AT south of Loudon Heights - barricaded?
    I run on the C&O Canal towpath almost every day (near Washington DC) and there is no way anyone can possibly close it. It would take more manpower and money to "close" it than the minimal amount (if any) that it costs to keep it open.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Do some reading on the subject other then WB. no town is being shut down.
    Harpers Ferry is a National Park, not just a town. Ultimately who has the jurisdiction? The county it's in? The state? Or the National Park System?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

An ATC newsletter states that in the event of a govt shutdown all trail maintenance should cease including volunteer maintenance.

Government Shutdown? Don't Work on the A.T.

If Congress fails to reach a budget agreement by midnight on Monday, September 30, the National Park Service anticipates closing parks and having only “essential personnel” on the job.

Trail volunteers should be aware that, should that occur, the Volunteers in the Parks (and Volunteers in the Forests) programs will not be in effect. Lack of that protection would expose A.T. workers to tort claims and medical costs in the event of an accident.

Therefore, in the event of a government shutdown, all trail work should cease on the Appalachian Trail.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I just spoke to Recreation.gov (the people who handle the campground reservations at National Parks). The person I spoke to said that campground reservations will be automatically cancelled in the event of a shutdown and the reservation holder would be notified by email. Refunds would be made for cancelled reservations.

The person I spoke with didn't have any more information. Specifically, she didn't know how far out reservations would be cancelled and what would happen to cancelled reservations if the government reopens during the reservation period.
    Crescit Eundo

Images

From SNP's Facebook posting:

We are hoping that a government shutdown will not happen. However, if it does, all national park sites, including Shenandoah will close. This means that the entire park will be closed including all facilities, lodges, entrances, trails and the backcountry.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I was planning to spend the night of Oct 2 in the Leconte Shelter in GSMNP. Looks like I will spend that night in Pidgeon Forge instead. From the penthouse to the outhouse.

I'm going to The Whites to climb Mount Washington, Lions Head Trail, on Thursday.... then to Acadia the following monday.... anyone know if I will have trouble at either of these? I'm guessing alittle at Acadia... but can they really stop me from hiking in at the Joe Dodge Lodge/Pinkham Notch area up Tuckermans/Lions to Mt Washington?

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.
    I guess I have to say this again. If there are parts of the trail closed due to a shutdown, don't post about how you are going to get around it. Last warning.

White Mountain National Forest is administered by the FS, and may have different restrictions than those put out by NPS. Acadia is a NP though and most likely will be closed, try NPS.gov.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I guess I have to say this again. If there are parts of the trail closed due to a shutdown, don't post about how you are going to get around it. Last warning.

White Mountain National Forest is administered by the FS, and may have different restrictions than those put out by NPS. Acadia is a NP though and most likely will be closed, try NPS.gov.
    This is an important and highly relevant thread. It would be a shame if it was closed. Maybe the rest of us can be more proactive about reminding people who may not have taken the time to read the whole thread. Hopefully the Powers That Be will take the time to enlighten us in the upcoming days as the legislative drama unfolds.

As for me, I've identified an alternate section if we get shut out of our VT trip.

I'm following this subject closely because I was planning to do SNP in the very near future. Might have to make last minute changes and hike south of SNP and hope I can find a shuttle on short notice!

Journal Entries

A reminder: It's not just law-breaking that is taboo for discussion, but also politics. Please help keep the thread open by not going there.

If you find the shutdown frustrating, instead of political vents, just throw in one (or several) of these guys. They can't talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    From SNP's Facebook posting:

We are hoping that a government shutdown will not happen. However, if it does, all national park sites, including Shenandoah will close. This means that the entire park will be closed including all facilities, lodges, entrances, trails and the backcountry.
    I'm on my southbound thru-hike right now and at the tail end of SNP. If there are any trail blockades or 'officials' posted up I'll be sure to take a picture. This is quite a ridiculous situation.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chasby View Post
    I'm on my southbound thru-hike right now and at the tail end of SNP. If there are any trail blockades or 'officials' posted up I'll be sure to take a picture. This is quite a ridiculous situation.
    Wow, your first post, and you've been on WB for almost 2 years! Here's a long overdue

Quote Originally Posted by chasby View Post
    Likewise... Welcome and thanks for whatever up to date info you are able to provide..............and congrats on your SOBO progress.

Images

There are so many different situations its difficult to make one rule fit all. On the east side of Glacier NP there is no private property inside the Park, so they can lock the gate and forbid access. On the west side, there is some private property inside the Park. The gates will not be locked, so there will be access to some areas.

Most of Glacier's services have already shut for the season, so there won't be a lot of difference to casual visitors. I imagine the one or two campgrounds that are supposed to remain open for the winter won't be open. No backcountry permits will be issued. And so on.

Hopefully all CDT NOBOs are done and well away already. Besides the shutdown issue, the weather has been appalling!
    Last edited by Marta; 09-30-2013 at 21:27.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Greetings, I have a section hike planned from Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam. I am parking at Fontana Dam and a shuttle is taking me to Springer Mountain access. I am leaving tomorrow night for my drive down, will the shut down have any impact on this portion of the trail? Thanks in advance for any input.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

supposed to head to the Grand Canyon for a 5 day trip on friday. this sure does suck. i bet havasupai is already booked. any recommendations on an AZ trail section hike?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by big-boy-cat View Post
    Greetings, I have a section hike planned from Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam. I am parking at Fontana Dam and a shuttle is taking me to Springer Mountain access. I am leaving tomorrow night for my drive down, will the shut down have any impact on this portion of the trail? Thanks in advance for any input.
    It's a TVA parking lot so it should be fine.

Thanks a bunch!

Only National Parks are affected, National Forests would be pretty hard to close off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++