WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

The ATC website says that 700 miles of the AT are closed.

Where is the 700? I never realized that much was part of the NPS.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The ATC website says that 700 miles of the AT are closed.

The White Mountain National Forest Supervisor gave an interview this morning, that the trails and campgrounds are open during the shutdown but there will be no maintenance. They will start shutting down campgrounds if the shutdown persists.

Many of the trailheads in the whites for the AT are on state land so it would be difficult to limit access.

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-...and-volunteers

They do not specify what parts are open or closed. A map of the AT colored blue (closed) and red (open) would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post

They do not specify what parts are open or closed. A map of the AT colored blue (closed) and red (open) would be useful.

I read an article (can't find it now, the volume of articles on the shut down is getting heavy) that specifically said Appalachian hikers would not be affected. Hike in/Hike out will not be stopped. Not all trails are being affected by the shutdown. Parking and services are still closed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    I read an article (can't find it now, the volume of articles on the shut down is getting heavy) that specifically said Appalachian hikers would not be affected. Hike in/Hike out will not be stopped. Not all trails are being affected by the shutdown. Parking and services are still closed though.
    Was that information National Park specific? The "press release", a.k.a. Facebook Babble, from S.N.P. directly contradicts your paraphrasing from an article somewhere.

If you can indeed walk into G.S.M.N.P., now might be the best time to enjoy the park. Embrace the solitude. Leave your cell phone at home. Nobody will be on duty to answer a distress call.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If you can indeed walk into G.S.M.N.P., now might be the best time to enjoy the park. Embrace the solitude. Leave your cell phone at home. Nobody will be on duty to answer a distress call.
    Media sources are reporting that the GSMNP is shutting down. That includes, front country camp sites, back country camp sites, picnic areas, hiking trails, and roads. The only exception will be some of the thru-roads like 441 taking you from Gatlinburg to Cherokee.

I say "closing" not "closed" because some of the details vary. For example, the LeConte Lodge (a concession within the park) announced that those with reservations for tonight (October 1st) will be allowed. Others with reservations until the closures is lifted will be offered refunds. I believe front country campers have been given 48 hours notice to leave. I EXPECT that every trail head along the few open roads (such as 441) will have signs indicating the back country is closed. So while there might not be anyone there to enforce the closer, it will still be illegal to enter the back country (presumably starting tomorrow based on the information proved by LeConte Logde). Those that are already in the back country will be given "reasonable" time to leave. The only thing I have not heard anything about is how will they inform those in the back country that the place is closed. Rangers today very well may be walking the back-country to report the closures. They only have to walk the AT and any other back country sites were people have reservations.

So there you have it. So facts, some speculation, but for sure, if congress does not act, everything concerning the GSMNP will be shut down before this weekend - save the main thru-roads.

Images

From the C&O Canal's own FB posting today:

We're sorry to report that due to the shutdown of our Federal Government, the C&O Canal National Historical Park is CLOSED. This means the towpath, hiker/bikers, campgrounds, hiking trails, and Visitors Centers are CLOSED TO ALL VISITOR TRAFFIC. More information can be found on the Trust's website.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    From the C&O Canal's own FB posting today:

We're sorry to report that due to the shutdown of our Federal Government, the C&O Canal National Historical Park is CLOSED. This means the towpath, hiker/bikers, campgrounds, hiking trails, and Visitors Centers are CLOSED TO ALL VISITOR TRAFFIC. More information can be found on the Trust's website.
    Also, when people questioned the enforcement of it after the posting was made, they responded that law enforcement would be patrolling the towpath. I imagine they'd do it in vehicle and maybe on bikes.

Images

The entire Shenandoah National Park is closed this includes all facilities, lodges, entrances, trails & the back country.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Around and about...

Is that the only section closed between Harpers Ferry and Free State Hostel?

The Blue Ridge Parkway is open for travel. All services along the BRP are closed. (Peaks of Otter Lodge etc..) The Parkway itself is still open!

Images

Just saw a posting on the AT Section Hikers FB page from a guy that said he was "just kicked out of Shenandoah. They have rangers at all of the trail heads."

Images

Just saw a posting on the AT Section Hikers FB page from a guy that said he was "just kicked out of Shenandoah. They have rangers at all of the trail heads."
    Should have said AT Hikers page, not the Section Hikers page.

Cool Greetings from Grand Teton National Park

Friends of a friend arrived in GTNP today and found this...

Greetings from G.T.N.P..jpg

Frankly, all of this lock down of every access point is a bit over the top if you ask me. Nobody did ask me, but if they did...

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

Yeah, I saw the article. I am just trying to figure out what is actually closed. I was planning on doing a 1 to 2 week hike starting Saturday so just trying to figure out where all that extra NPS land is that I was not aware of.

Images

The Monongahela Forest is shut down, and I hear tell the rangers are closing the forest road gates, and anyone caught beyond them will be ticketed. This sucks because we were going to Dolly Sods this weekend. Anyone have a plan B for us to consider. This was an 11 member meetup group outing.

Images

Very confusing and I say BS. I just walked out of the north end of SNP on the AT literally 2 hours ago, and chatted with a ranger at the Elk Wallow wayside yesterday. He laughed when I asked it the AT would be "closed". There is NO "closing" of the AT in SNP. Of course, lots of nice convenient facilities, like the waysides and bathrooms (with plumbing!) are closed. The TRAIL is NOT closed. There is no way to close the trail, of course. Just hike. There are no rangers along the trails "kicking people out".

Kickin' back and replacing calories in Front Royal right now... tons of SOBO's on the trail in SNP right now. I seemed to be a lone NOBO.

Images

It is very confusing...look at this blog with pics saying NPS facilities are closed, implying the trails too...

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/10/01...wn-dcs-trails/

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++