WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I use Weather Underground's app, as well as their site for my weather data. They present much more raw data as opposed to the projections usually given by Weather.com and the other major ones.

I'm gonna check out Shutter's app now though.

Whoa... Shutter. Thank you so much for your work, it's glorious.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
    Unfortunately not. I don't own any Apple products and Apple requires you to own at least a Mac to write apps for the iPhone.
    How is the raw data collected when on the trail Shutter?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    How is the raw data collected when on the trail Shutter?
    Thanks for messaging me Wise Old Owl. I just got back from completing the PCT a few days ago, needless to say I'm still adjusting to town life.

All shelter data and GPS data are all hardcoded into the app. The only thing my app does is use selected data to query NOAA's (National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration) weather web services to pull forecast data. This is the raw data that most if not ALL weather services use as a base and will change accordingly to make their own predictions.

I'm going to be creating more apps for the AT/PCT/CDT in the coming months. Hopefully I can get a couple of them out for the 2014 hiking season.

If you all have any suggestions on how to improve AT Weather, just let me know. I hacked the current version together in about 72 hours and was my first Android App. I'm going to start playing with xCode to create an iPhone version. I was just given an old mac from a friend that I'll use to develop. I'm excited to start working on an iPhone version.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I use Weather Underground's app, as well as their site for my weather data. They present much more raw data as opposed to the projections usually given by Weather.com and the other major ones.
    Agreed, the WU app is perhaps the best I have seen out of the herd. It is so detailed you can do flight planning with the data you are getting. Radar is typically real-time, it provides numerous reporting sites in a given area so you can determine various micro weather issues long before you walk into them or they overtake you, like fog for example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++