WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GoLite Gear Reviews

My favorite piece of gear to date is my GoLite Tumalo rain jacket w/ hood weighing in at 12 oz. Kept me warm last time up at Clingman's Dome in 33* with a 40MPH breeze. Love it!

I've not had issues with the coat but it's been my only purchase from GoLite. Can anyone attest to the quality of their clothing or down bags? They seem to have some good prices right now and I needed a few things so I was curious if anyone here has had bad luck with any of their stuff? Specifically I am looking at buying a down sleeping bag and primaloft jacket so if anyone has any of those I'd love to hear feedback. Their website has 1 or 2 reviews on most products and are all positive, so either nobody uses their gear or they block negative comments. That's why I need you fine folks to help a brother out!

I have used one of their packs, and it has worked pretty good. This is my 5th pack brand, and so far my favorite by a long way. My wife has one of their rain jackets, and it has served her well.

I'm happy with everything I have purchased from them. I have a 7 oz rain jacket, the tarp/poncho, the 70L Jam pack, and an 85L pack.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Oh yeah, I forgot I own the 50L Jam pack. It doesn't fit me as nice as I'd like but I've had no problems with it as well.

I had the mountain gecko shoes which were a huge disappointment. They didn't even make it 500 miles on the trail before the bottoms completely ripped apart.

I have the GoLite Jam 70 pack. It's just okay. It's constructed pretty well in terms of holding together, but the design itself isn't great. The things I disliked about it:

1: Shoulder straps need just a bit more padding to be comfortable.
    2: The outer zip pocket on the back is useless for anything but very flat items when the pack is more than half full.
    3: The side mesh pockets are a good size for typical water bottles, but are very difficult to reach while wearing the pack.
    4: The zip pocket in the hip belt is too small for much of anything other than a travel pack of kleenex and a chapstick.
    5: No ventilation between back and pack, so your back will sweat like a bitch.
    6: When full, it is really awkwardly shaped.

Now, I realize that it's the nature of ultralight packs to be minimal on features, so I'm not saying that this pack is a bad pack. I'll use it until it fails, but it's just not one that I would buy again.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Amen to that. Pretty much details my Jam 50 to the letter. My back sweats like a wildebeest. I capped myself at 50L thinking it would force me to carry less, but it doesn't carry 30# very comfortably and that front pocket is basically useless.

Default GoLite Gear Reviews

I have had great experiences with golite products and customer service.

I have the 3 season down quilt, jam 50, and the Selkirk down jacket.

I've been happy with all the products.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

GoLite has turned into what I call a maker of "bread and butter" gear.

No frills,solid and good gear sold for a very reasonable price.

I have a Tumalo, the old school GoLite Jam worked well (can't comment on the new ones), the Shangri-La two worked well as a winter shelter when I used one and the Bitterroot down coat I bought last year is my puffy of choice for winter use.

On a side note, their town/travel clothing has made their way into my closet. When they have sales, much less $$$$ than similar clothing from Royal Robbins other companies along those lines. Can't always look like hiker trash.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have the 1-season (40deg) down quilt and it's awesome. Even used it down below freezing by supplementing it with clothing.

I've also owned a Jam2, that was prbably overloaded and/or too small, that didn't work out.

I am happy with all the gear I purchased from them. Sad that they discontinued the "wisp" it was a great wind jacket.

GoLite went mainstream, got the nickname GoHeavy and lost their cutting edge designs. That said, they completely redid their business model. Instead of selling their pack to REI for $100, and you buying it for $200 they are now selling the same gear direct to you. The 50% off is not a sale, just their everyday price and damn good marketing. When you see stuff for more than 50% off then it's really on sale. I mention this because the "sale" confuses people and also makes some people question the quality of the gear. It's not Patagonia, but it's not garbage either. Mags' "bread and butter" reference is a good one. Compare it to any "house brand" gear, REI, Gander, EMS, and it holds it's own just fine. Compare it to Patagonia, well the Patagonia will be cut a hair better, better build, materials, and warranty. Likely a few ounces lighter too.

All that said- for half the cost of premium stuff- it's damn nice stuff. The Jam is still my best recommendation for a starter pack. Yes it's frameless, so 30lbs is about the limit and has nothing to do with the Jam being a bad pack. But the $100 35L is still one of the best frameless pack deals out there. The other highlights are umbrellas, rain gear, shells, and some clothing items. Royal Robbins would be an excellent comparison, as GoLite makes a lot of hostel hopping, travel clothes (Which as Mags mentions are excellent for town and casual work wear for the price). They have some good backpacking pieces, but I still would say buy quality for something critical like your baselayer. But a down vest for half price and only an ounce or two heavier?- go for it. If it fits you, the rainwear is another good example. Tents and sleeping bags are a pretty weak, you can score better deals, better gear, and lighter weight elsewhere.

There is not a single item at GoLite that cannot be found elsewhere that is better if price was no object, but factor in the price and they are hard to beat, especially for seasonal or other non-core items. Repeat customers get 15% off coupons, free shipping, and a few other occasional deals. Folks living out west, especially Colorado can shop their outlet stores too.

Recently bought a Golite 14 liter day pack. Quality is good. Price was great.

I have the GoLite Z10 10 degree down bag and it's really well made and is super warm I haven't had it long enough to test it into the temps that low but have no doubt that it would keep me nice and toasty. I'm looking to sell that to help me get a zpacks sleeping bag so if you're looking for a cold weather bag from them just let me know!

I have the old penicle pack I love it. 4 years and its still in great shape. I have the down rectangular bag Its great five inch loft one side three on the other. They make best gear for the price. The thing about the packs is you actually have to "golite " or they kill your back

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I thought the GoLite Pinnacle, which is now the Jam 70, was just okay. After a while the back foam pad bent permanently out of shape and was not fixable no matter how I packed it. I've read other people mentioning the same problem.

That said, their 20-degree 3-season down quilt, which they don't appear to make anymore, was my favorite piece of gear bar none for the PCT. Perfectly comfortable, warm, durable ... all that good stuff. I also have the Bitterroot down jacket and that's awesome too--it's almost too warm for 3-season camping. Lord knows what the labor practices overseas are like that allow them to sell so much good gear so cheaply, but as far as I have been able to see, it's still the real deal.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I thought the GoLite Pinnacle, which is now the Jam 70, was just okay. After a while the back foam pad bent permanently out of shape and was not fixable no matter how I packed it. I've read other people mentioning the same problem.

That said, their 20-degree 3-season down quilt, which they don't appear to make anymore, was my favorite piece of gear bar none for the PCT. Perfectly comfortable, warm, durable ... all that good stuff. I also have the Bitterroot down jacket and that's awesome too--it's almost too warm for 3-season camping. Lord knows what the labor practices overseas are like that allow them to sell so much good gear so cheaply, but as far as I have been able to see, it's still the real deal.
    I've had no problems with my pinnacle. I just wish they could keep things in stock I want a long quilt but there out

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    I've had no problems with my pinnacle. I just wish they could keep things in stock I want a long quilt but there out

They run out of stock so fast, by the time I saw their new UL down jackets the smalls were already sold out.

Hi, I'm planning a big walk in April, and have a current Kelty Satori (great pack, but old) and a Granite ear Nimbus Meridian. I'm thinking about going with a Golite Quest 65 for my spring walkabout. Any thoughts or experience with this one?

I've had a few experiences with particular GoLite gear that I thought was of questionable quality. It was throw away gear after, what I felt, were too few trail miles for my tastes even as one who has hiked extensively in the U.S. w/ an UL philosophy. ie; I think I have a good awareness of pros, and possible cons, of UL gear. What I'm also saying, are that perceptions of gear quality are partly as a result of our individual use and knowledge base. Plenty of UL/Lite wt gear companies, especially those on the cutting edge of UL/SUL(whatever you label it as) clearly point this out. No longer do I see GoLite as cutting edge UL(certainly not the lightest wt) and don't think they have been for awhile. That's NOT bad - even for a ULer.

Generally though, I have had good experiences with GoLite products and universally have been provided with great customer service.

I currently own a GL Malpais rain/wind jacket, which is one of my goto rain jackets. I also have a GL 20* 3 season down quilt which I've been happy with(although certainly not the lightest in UL w/that temp rating in a down quilt). It works for me in some limited situations though. I liked the GL Wisp wind shirt at the time I used it a few yrs back for a 2 yr stretch. I thought the Jam II 50 L was trumped by the ULA CDT in all categories in a side by side comparison FOR ME(wt, durability, features, function, comfort, cost). I liked what I saw with the Bitterroot Down jacket in the store although I have no real world use(would have considered a purchase of this at the price it was being offered to me but I was already loaded up on down jacket/vest pieces).

One of the things that I really like about GoLite is their opening up of GL Outlets where one can score some very good gear deals while personally examining their gear before purchasing. I think it a smart move by GL.

All in all, I agree w/ much of what JB and Mags said.

This sums it up tersely for me too: "GoLite has turned into what I call a maker of "bread and butter" gear.

No frills,solid and good gear sold for a very reasonable price."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++